E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Ongoing problems with glow ignition codes

06-20-2010, 04:23 PM   #1
Baracus135i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

Question Ongoing problems with glow ignition codes

Keep getting the very nasty 30F2, 30F1, 30EF glow ignition codes and have reached a dead end. I know these super knock codes are dangerous so really need some advice on this one?

Some background: Am based in Africa at an altitude of 5700ft using 95RON (91RM) octane fuel. Bought a demo model 135i a couple of months ago and installed a JB3 (v2.00). Terry was very helpful and set up custom map1 to take into account the effects of altitude. All was well for a couple of days and the car was pulling quite strong on settings very similar to Map3. However on a cold morning (about 50F outside) I decide to go for a high speed drive on the freeway and pull hard through the gears but on the last run I hit major hesitation in 4th at about 4600rpms. So scan the car and find the dreaded 30F2 code cylinder 6? Immediately I turn down the boost as per Terry’s recommendation, but over the next couple of weeks the code keeps coming back every couple of days? I tried numerous settings, even reducing boost to well below map 3 settings, but still the same thing? So after much deliberation I decided not to chance it and rather go back to stock.
With the car stock I give it a numerous hard runs without hesitation or codes. So after a couple of weeks without a code I figure that it’s safe to try an ECU flash from one of our local tuners. Once again we load everything up and all’s fine for a few days, until I do another run on the freeway (also cold outside) and the same thing happens but this time 30F1 cylinder 5? The tuner was totally shocked that the super knock code had resurfaced. He has done many x35i’s and has never seen the glow ignition code appear on one of his tunes. So it seems that the JB3 and ECU flash are not the problem, but rather something else on the car that is perhaps being triggered by the additional demands of a tune?
The tuner recommended I replace the plugs, which I did, and furthermore that I also remove the DCI’s and replace with the stock air box. He noticed that the intake temps were very high (124-150F) on the freeze frame data when the codes appeared. However this didn’t make any difference as I got the 30EF code (cylinder 3 this time) with the new plugs and stock box on. Funny thing is air intake temp on code event was still high at 140F with the stock air box on? Could there be anything else causing the intake temp to rise like this?
We have also tried a custom map with boost & timing reduced between the 4500-5000 rpm range, but the code came back after a few days? The tuner reckons that boost is well within safe parameters for a 135i running on pump fuel at our altitude, and on the timing he set we shouldn’t be seeing this code? He now thinks that it could perhaps be a false glow ignition code being caused by partial misfire?( I’m sure I read something previously where someone mentioned partial misfires could cause a false glow ignition code? ) He also thinks that the partial misfire could be related to the HPFP? When at idle the car does feel like its “hunting” up and down between 600 to 800rpms and seems to miss a beat every now and then. When connected to the BT cable you can see the revs take a dip every 15 seconds or so. The strange thing is the car still feels very strong through 1st to 3rd gear and pulls through the rev range in the lower gears without hesitation, only in 4th that the hesitation starts? After 4600 rpms hesitation goes away
Anyways am going to reset back to stock and send in to BMW, just don’t know what I’m going to tell them if the problem doesn’t come back when stock?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2010, 04:40 PM   #2
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

Sorry for major off topic, how's World Cup?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2010, 04:42 PM   #3
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

upgrade your intercooler and get meth to fight the high temps and humidity that you guys face over there....I mean half your land is desert!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 07:52 AM   #4
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

If would be nice if you could measure the Air/Fuel ratio during the runs. Maybe the car is running too lean ? I think it may be the HPFP: the super knock codes appear on different cylinders, so there is less of a chance for bad injectors than the HPFP not supplying the needed fuel pressure.

PS: I'm no expert...
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 10:39 AM   #5
DubSport
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Any resolution to this?
Appreciate 0