E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Engine degreaser question

12-12-2020, 08:43 AM   #1
328iFitz
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i

Hey guys, I've been reading a bunch of the stickies and threads here but can't seem to find the answer I'm in search of.. I'd like to clean up the front of my engine block behind the belt. When I got the car a couple months ago it was covered in gummed up oil and grime, I've since done Vanos solenoids, can sensors, VCG and some other stuff and yesterday did my thermostat/water pump. All the while I've been looking at this and wanting to clean it up but not sure what's safe to spray having it be around the drive belt and all. Any tips or suggestions? I'd like to do it today or tomorrow. Thanks guys!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 06:25 PM   #2
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

I used degreaser sparingly as I did my VCG and a lot of elbow grease. You need to avoid electrical connections, hoses and belts because they don’t do well if saturated with it. You can use a brush and towels to take the residue off and finish with 303. Here are a couple pictures of mine, it’s not perfect but the VCG took longer than expected.
Attached Images

12-12-2020, 10:09 PM   #3
jkrig
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07' e90 335i (SGM)

Just about any degreaser of choice should be fine, my favorite is Optimum Power clean @ about 5:1, you could go stronger if needed, but in a pinch I have used Super Clean 50/50 and even Gunk, if introducing to much liquid un-nerves you you could spray the cleaner onto a detail brush, agitate affected areas with your brush, then mop up with towels....
      12-13-2020, 04:15 PM   #4
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

I usually put water in a spray bottle to clean afterward and then finish with hoses and plastic surfaces.