E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Updating CIC Firmware To Allow Map Updates

09-10-2020, 02:10 AM   #1
pacmac
Singapore
Rep
Drives: BMW 323i

Updating CIC Firmware To Allow Map Updates

I recently purchased a low mileage E93 but unfortunately, back in 2010, it was not originally purchased from the (Only) main agent here in Singapore, and was what is known locally as a "Parallel Import", meaning that it was imported from Hong Kong at a cheaper price than the main agent was selling the vehicle for when new.

This means that it has HongKong / Macau Premium 2010 Map installed, instead of the SOUTHEAST ASIA Premium Maps, and the Map Icon does not include the Check-mark or tick, meaning that the maps can't be updated via USB.

I have the USB in the glovebox, and was able to generate a 1B file (319 bytes) to generate a FSC code, and I already purchased the latest maps, however despite formatting several USB sticks to FAT32 and copying the config.nfm file and pkgdb folders onto the root of the USB, it simply refuses to update, and burning the same files / folders to a 8GB Double Layer DVD using ISO9660 and inserting that into the DVD player, the system never prompts to update the maps.

I am an IT professional and electronics development engineer (microcontrollers) and are comfortable with firmware programming on a multitude of embedded devices, and I am 100% sure that I have formatted the USB and copied the files and folders correctly.

So it seems that the CIC hardware requires a firmware update, to allow me to update the maps and change the region etc.

The main agent here refuses to perform the update as they did not supply the vehicle originally in 2010, and the original supplier does not have the capability to do this, and the only workshop that says they can do this want to charge me around USD1,200 to do the update, which is crazy, so it looks like it is down to me.

I have already installed and configured WIN-KFP, TOOL32, NCS-EXPERT and INPA, as well as the related E90 DATEN files, and are now awaiting delivery of a ICOM Next Module, so I believe that I should have the necessary software and hardware to do this ?!

I have also "trawled" a lot of forums and gathered bits of information to build up my understanding of how this can be done, but before I actually go ahead and do this, I have some questions that I hope can be answered by someone who know for-sure

1) Will updating the CIC firmware allow me to BOTH load new maps as well as load maps from other regions ?
2) Is WIN-KFP the recommended tool to update the CIC Module.
3) When ## ONLY ## updating the CIC module, is a Power Supply / Stabiliser needed ?
4) Does anybody have a step-by step procedure to do this, or can at least let me know the major steps ?

Of course I am aware that updating firmware is a risky thing, and it's why I am trying to get a good understanding of what exactly is needed before I make any attempt at doing this.

Any help would be really appreciated !
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 11:23 AM   #2
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacmac View Post
I recently purchased a low mileage E93 but unfortunately, back in 2010, it was not originally purchased from the (Only) main agent here in Singapore, and was what is known locally as a "Parallel Import", meaning that it was imported from Hong Kong at a cheaper price than the main agent was selling the vehicle for when new.

This means that it has HongKong / Macau Premium 2010 Map installed, instead of the SOUTHEAST ASIA Premium Maps, and the Map Icon does not include the Check-mark or tick, meaning that the maps can't be updated via USB.

I have the USB in the glovebox, and was able to generate a 1B file (319 bytes) to generate a FSC code, and I already purchased the latest maps, however despite formatting several USB sticks to FAT32 and copying the config.nfm file and pkgdb folders onto the root of the USB, it simply refuses to update, and burning the same files / folders to a 8GB Double Layer DVD using ISO9660 and inserting that into the DVD player, the system never prompts to update the maps.

I am an IT professional and electronics development engineer (microcontrollers) and are comfortable with firmware programming on a multitude of embedded devices, and I am 100% sure that I have formatted the USB and copied the files and folders correctly.

So it seems that the CIC hardware requires a firmware update, to allow me to update the maps and change the region etc.

The main agent here refuses to perform the update as they did not supply the vehicle originally in 2010, and the original supplier does not have the capability to do this, and the only workshop that says they can do this want to charge me around USD1,200 to do the update, which is crazy, so it looks like it is down to me.

I have already installed and configured WIN-KFP, TOOL32, NCS-EXPERT and INPA, as well as the related E90 DATEN files, and are now awaiting delivery of a ICOM Next Module, so I believe that I should have the necessary software and hardware to do this ?!

I have also "trawled" a lot of forums and gathered bits of information to build up my understanding of how this can be done, but before I actually go ahead and do this, I have some questions that I hope can be answered by someone who know for-sure

1) Will updating the CIC firmware allow me to BOTH load new maps as well as load maps from other regions ?
2) Is WIN-KFP the recommended tool to update the CIC Module.
3) When ## ONLY ## updating the CIC module, is a Power Supply / Stabiliser needed ?
4) Does anybody have a step-by step procedure to do this, or can at least let me know the major steps ?

Of course I am aware that updating firmware is a risky thing, and it's why I am trying to get a good understanding of what exactly is needed before I make any attempt at doing this.

Any help would be really appreciated !
Aren't all cars in Singapore "low mileage" being an Island something like 13 x 20 miles, it's hard to go very far. LOL. Max speed limit being 50 MPH. With their overheads, it's understandable Performance Motors will not be very helpful.

I'd be surprised if you need to update a module to flash a new Nav map into your car. If anything, I'd bet its something that needs to Coded to unlock it. Hopefully someone on the forum can help.

Id be looking at the Daten files for the CIC firmware, can you find a region specific OPA or ODA file for the CIC? If so, what is the region?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 07:15 PM   #3
pacmac
Singapore
Rep

Thanks for helping, I guess I am using "Low Mileage" relatively, mine was 70k KM, others I looked at were 150k KM + :-)

I would be really happy if it was just a config setting, updating the firmware seems a bit radical.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 02:43 AM   #4
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

There are several threads here where people have updated their own module firmware.

You'll need the interface and a good power source to keep the car supplied during the update.

What they are charging you is insane!

Usually this is a function where the car is hooked to power and the computer then it sits for a few hours while every module in the car is update (called I-level).

Look into the threads about Ilevel updates and upgrading the firmware in the CIC.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 06:17 AM   #5
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i MSport DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
I think your problem might be coding. The DVD method would work regardless
You need to figure out the correct region I think for your CIC. Change that and you can update the map
Have you tried updating Hong Kong map via DVD ? That will work I bet ...
      09-15-2020, 08:14 PM   #6
pacmac
Singapore
Rep

Aus335iguy - thanks, that's what I am hoping, that it just needs the region to be changed.

Just to test this theory, I have searched for a torrent or download for the Hong Kong / Macau Maps later version, but it does not seem to be available.

I can purchase one for about $50.00 but as this is only for testing, and will not be used, it seems a bit wasteful :-)

Also, as I live in an apartment, I don't have a garage or drive outside my house where I can plugin a Power Supply and have the car sit there for several hours to do a firmware update, so it's rather difficult for me to do firmware updates.

So far only 1 local BMW workshop says they can do it, and it will take 1 day and cost USD1200.00, and that is just a rip-off !!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 09:05 PM   #7
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
You only need to update the cic if DVD method doesn't work. It doesn't work for you because you're trying to put in the wrong map.

The region/country is specified in the CIC coding. Use NCS expert to change country to singapore and then use the DVD method to update the map.
Edite
There's two parameters in the cic coding I can see
"Country" and "Navi_variente" will both will be set to "Hong Kong"
Change to Singapore and try to update via DVD
      09-15-2020, 09:27 PM   #8
rjahl
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus335iguy View Post
You only need to update the cic if DVD method doesn't work. It doesn't work for you because you're trying to put in the wrong map.

The region/country is specified in the CIC coding. Use NCS expert to change country to singapore and then use the DVD method to update the map.
I thought Hong Kong and Singapore were both region three?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 09:30 PM   #9
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjahl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus335iguy View Post

I thought Hong Kong and Singapore were both region three?
DVD region yes, Navi version though..
      09-16-2020, 08:50 PM   #10
pacmac
Singapore
Rep

Thanks so much for the help.

Being a new owner and a newbie to BMW coding, and although I have INPA and NCS Expert etc etc installed, the learning curve is quite steep with these apps.

So I put bimmercode into expert mode and are able to read the country-specific data from the CIC as per screenshots below.

Problem is there is no (double byte) country code for "Singapore", and so I have to enter a custom code.

Can someone let me know what this code is, or where I can find it ?

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 08:58 PM   #11
pacmac
Singapore
Rep

I loaded up NCS Expert Dummy and searched for the setting, however it appears that there is no code for Singapore !

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 11:23 PM   #12
pacmac
Singapore
Rep

Well, it looks like SE Asia is navigation map region 2, based on the fact that the current map is hong kong and the code for that is 06 as read in using bimmercode.

CURRENT MAP
=========

SEASIA MAP 1
=========

SEASIA MAP 2
=========
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 11:28 PM   #13
pacmac
Singapore
Rep

No, that can't be correct as USA is region 0x02 :-(
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 04:15 AM   #14
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
We need to find a Singaporean member and ask him for his settings. Anyone with a CIC will do...
      09-17-2020, 06:40 AM   #15
pacmac
Singapore
Rep

Actually, can be any country in SE Asia, not necessarily Singapore, but the configs from Singapore would be ideal.

But in my experience, Singaporeans are not big DIY'ers and most will goto a workshop with anything that is technical.
Appreciate 1
      09-17-2020, 07:35 AM   #16
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Actually, can be any country in SE Asia, not necessarily Singapore, but the configs from Singapore would be ideal.

But in my experience, Singaporeans are not big DIY'ers and most will goto a workshop with anything that is technical.
Have a look in this forum for someone local that's diy coding. All you need is a trace file from a CIC car with working nav

ww vv dot bmw-sg.com"slash"forums"
      09-17-2020, 07:50 AM   #17
pacmac
Singapore
Rep

Yep, I am already on that forum and have already asked :-)
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 09:11 AM   #18
rjahl
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:

Singapore is not really a DYI friendly place for car enthusiasts. Firstly, most people live in Condo's or apartments. Landed housing being very expensive. Hell, even a Condo is pricey. I sold my Condo in 2010 for like US$500 ft^2

They also have some Draconian laws intended to control the car population. Bidded Car ownership titles called COEs, high taxes etc. The net results make it prohibitive to keep cars past 10 years. There's even is a whole industry built from exporting 10 year old cars from Singapore.

Singaporeans, in general don't DYI anything. Home renovations, Cars, Hobbies. Just a different lifestyle. Lived there for 25 years.
Appreciate 1
Mr325i0.00
      09-17-2020, 06:09 PM   #19
pacmac
Singapore
Rep

@rjahl - Yep, that's all correct.

I am a Brit and this year I will have been in Singapore for 30 years :-)

My 323i has just turned 10 years old, the COE (Certificate of Entitlement) has been renewed for another 10 years and I purchased it with a new 10 year COE.

All vehicles here depreciate at the total vehicle value (+ taxes + COE) / 10 years at a flat rate.

The COE value changes every month, this month the cost of a 10 year COE is approx USD 25K.

Last edited by pacmac; 09-17-2020 at 06:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 05:29 AM   #20
pacmac
Singapore
Rep

Been getting familiar with NCS Expert and Coding tool.

After Selecting Chassis and Module and loading the Trace File, When I "Show Values" in Coding Tool I get some errors, which I then need to remove from the FSW_PSW.TRC file.

But one of these errors is:

NAVI_VARIANTE_0A - hongkong

which coincidentally is the Navigation Map Setting.

If I change this to:

NAVI_VARIANTE - hongkong

in the FSW_PSW.TRC file and run "Show Values" again, there are no errors.

I assume that 0A is a hex value decimal 10, but what exactly does the _0A suffix mean and why would my vehicle have this anomaly ?

Strange thing, is that if I read the trace file using NCS Dummy, it reads the key as NAVI_VARIANTE and the _0A is not even shown !!

I have not written the code back to the ECU as this does not seem right ?!

Last edited by pacmac; 09-20-2020 at 07:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 07:24 AM   #21
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Can you take a screenshot of where you see the error? It could be a daten error
      09-20-2020, 07:01 PM   #22
pacmac
Singapore
Rep

The error happens in coding tool after pressing the show values button, there are 3 keys / values that throw this error.

If I edit the tracefile and rename the NAVI_VARIANTE_0A, and delete the 2 SLEEPDELAY_* keys, there's no more errors.

Appreciate 0