E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Is this vcg leak?

04-07-2021, 11:09 AM   #1
Macadacious
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 328i

Is this vcg leak?

So i did an oil change this weekend and cleaned abit of the engine and looked around and didnt see anything like leaks, but i didnt inspect carefully just a quick glance.. then went for a cruise, and everything was fine until yesterday morning i noticed a very small amount of oil smell in car for a min and went away and didnt smell it until today after work i smelt abit of it again in traffic, so i checked under the hood about an hour later when i got home and looked around and saw some wet spots, its definitely leaking isnt it? It looks like a slow leak though. Does the oil filter housing look ok? Or does it look like it needs replacing too? Btw im in the ottawa, ontario area, so if anyone here knows a good mech i can go to id appreciate it alot. Honestly having some family problems at home, been hectic with surgery in the family, just not the time to now. I wish i had time cause i can do the oil filter housing myself, but definitely not the vcg I dont wanna tackle it atm, especially for my first time.

Thanks. Ive attached pics.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/sygPtf2
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 08:56 AM   #2
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

It looks like the beginning of an issue, it doesn't require immediate action but you will smell burning oil until it's been addressed. I would do the VGC, OFHG and upgrade to the Mickey Mouse flange before it fails.
      04-09-2021, 08:26 PM   #3
Macadacious
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
It looks like the beginning of an issue, it doesn't require immediate action but you will smell burning oil until it's been addressed. I would do the VGC, OFHG and upgrade to the Mickey Mouse flange before it fails.
Ok cool, thanks. I will have a shop do the vcg, but ofhg ill do myself and whats the mickey mouse flange lol
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 09:16 AM   #4
E93Dude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 MT6

Garage List
2007 BMW E93  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macadacious View Post
Ok cool, thanks. I will have a shop do the vcg, but ofhg ill do myself and whats the mickey mouse flange lol
Mickey mouse flange is an informal name for a plastic flange that serves as a mating surface between the engine block and one of the coolant hoses. It looks like that rat Walt Disney trained to wear red pants. People hate the flange b/c its plastic, and degrades over time, cracks, and causes coolant leaks or catastrophic failure....usually on a dark and stormy night in the middle of nowhere.

The flange/hose combo is usually sold as one unitary piece, but if your hose is otherwise in good condition, most people recommend just replacing the flange itself with a milled aluminum replacement. This is easy, and excellent insurance against an unexpected future pain in the ass situation, and is well within the capability of those with modest mechanical ability. I used this particular one:

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...o-technologies

Realoem.com is your friend for identifying parts. In the pictures below, the hose/flange combo is #7
Attached Images

Last edited by E93Dude; 04-13-2021 at 07:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 07:21 PM   #5
Macadacious
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93Dude View Post
Mickey mouse flange is an informal name for a plastic flange that surves as a mating surface between the engine block and one of the coolant hoses. It looks like that rat Walt Disney trained to wear red pants. People hate the flange b/c its plastic, and degrates over time, cracks, and causes coolant leaks or catastrophic failure....usually on a dark and stormy night in the middle of nowhere.

The flange/hose combo is usually sold as one unitary piece, but if your hose is otherwise in good condition, most people recomend just replacing the flange itself with a milled aluminum replacement. This is easy, and excellent insurance against an unexpected future pain in the ass situation, and is well within the capability of those with modest mechanical ability. I used this particular one:

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...o-technologies

Realoem.com is your friend for identifying parts. In the pictures below, the hose/flange combo is #7
Sorry for late reply been really busy with nephew after his surgery.. but i Appreciate this alot bud 👍🏼 thank you for the explanation and visuals along with pics and links 👍🏼. Ill look into that for sure. I saw the hose today it looks good and no signs of cracks but will check again in near future. Edit: forgot to ask, when i change that flange will there be alot of coolant leaking out? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 07:22 PM   #6
Macadacious
Private
Rep

Ok guys so i decided to open the cover today since i bought leds to replace the halogen angel bulbs. Anyways i was surprised these bulbs have never been changed, even the warranty sticker is still intact until i opened it today lol. But BMW wdf how did they allow qc to pass the crimp on this pin.. wow.. the insulation is sticking out.. i know its covered with a seal, but i wrapped electrical tape around it anyways..

so after that i started on the cover, the bolt inside was a pita to get.. i had to use the hex socket and had vise pliers holding it sideways under that tight spot and loosened it just enough to where i could loosen it by hand.. anyways finally got it off..

First thing i checked was if any leaks around the valvetronic, how does it look to you guys? Also what really pissed me off and i think i found the problem to the oil leaks.. so im pretty sure the mechanic the dealer sent me to left it loose on purpose cause he kept telling me "please call me if anything happens my friend" he repeated that nonstop, shouldve known something was up, something was telling me and i had a gut feeling aswell it was telling me maybe check the bolts holding the gasket they could be loose.. and of course i checked today and honest to god im not exaggerating, the torxs bolt on the corner had about 3 turns left until it felt snug.. and others felt like they were hand tightened.. what the f is that.. im pretty sure the mechanic did that on purpose so id call and come back and he'd charge me $$$ saying i need to replace the vcg.. but i wiped off any oil around the engine and whatever else i could after tightening the bolts, also left the cover off so itll be easier to check tomorrow if i see any leaks.

But seriously?.. first 2 weeks i owned the car i didnt smell oil like this, and conveniently i do smell it here and there after i get the car back, and today i check it and they're loose.. insanity.. thats why i dont trust alot of mechanics.. so hard to find a honest one.. also one of the clips on the vanos is missing.. and does anyone know why the outter ring isnt lit up as much? Seems like the halogens light up both angel rings better

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 07:55 PM   #7
E93Dude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E93  [0.00]
So, I can't speak about the potential for your mechanic to be a lying sack of sh!t, but I think it speaks to the more important issue: to the extent you are handy with a wrench, are patient, and are willing to research, you are your own best mechanic for a whole range of projects. Mechanics leaving bolts out or not torquing them properly is a common lazy move when you have someone else doing the work who is a little too concerned with getting out by 5pm... If you do it yourself, you have that surety, peace of mind. That said, there are some jobs that I will just never do, like dropping a transmission and fixing my rear main seal. There is always a place for a good, reputable mechanic.
      04-13-2021, 09:53 PM   #8
Macadacious
Private
Rep

Quote:
So, I can't speak about the potential for your mechanic to be a lying sack of sh!t, but I think it speaks to the more important issue: to the extent you are handy with a wrench, are patient, and are willing to research, you are your own best mechanic for a whole range of projects. Mechanics leaving bolts out or not torquing them properly is a common lazy move when you have someone else doing the work who is a little too concerned with getting out by 5pm... If you do it yourself, you have that surety, peace of mind. That said, there are some jobs that I will just never do, like dropping a transmission and fixing my rear main seal. There is always a place for a good, reputable mechanic.
I know bro he is!! Especially trying to get me to come back 😡 thanks lol, im willing to try and do what i can, if i cant im bringing to mechanics. But things like this, and regular Maintenance i can do or try if anything before getting help. Yes its ridiculous they're more concerned about that, than having a good rep for their shop, im gonna leave a review on his page, and call him to let him know. True that. It definitely wasn't giving me peace driving down the road with this problem on my mind, but i think she should be good now. I hear you lol best to have a professional do it than mess with a big job like that 😁
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 10:20 PM   #9
E93Dude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E93  [0.00]
Quote:
I know bro he is!! Especially trying to get me to come back 😡 thanks lol, im willing to try and do what i can, if i cant im bringing to mechanics. But things like this, and regular Maintenance i can do or try if anything before getting help. Yes its ridiculous they're more concerned about that, than having a good rep for their shop, im gonna leave a review on his page, and call him to let him know. True that. It definitely wasn't giving me peace driving down the road with this problem on my mind, but i think she should be good now. I hear you lol best to have a professional do it than mess with a big job like that 😁
I did the valve cover gasket outside this winter in 40F weather, and it was not too bad. I don't know what your driveway/garage/time situation is like, but I would watch this valve cover gasket replacement DIY video. Even if you take it to a mechanic to have the work done, you will feel better knowing exactly what the dude is going to have to do.

The parts store FCPEuro also has some really excellent DIY videos on their website and YT.
      04-15-2021, 08:01 PM   #10
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

I did the VCG a few months ago and it’s just a matter of being organized, going through the steps and double checking your work. While you’re at it, I would do a little cleaning and take pride in saving yourself about $1k.
Attached Images

04-16-2021, 07:37 PM   #11
Macadacious
Private
Rep

Quote:
I did the valve cover gasket outside this winter in 40F weather, and it was not too bad. I don't know what your driveway/garage/time situation is like, but I would watch this valve cover gasket replacement DIY video. Even if you take it to a mechanic to have the work done, you will feel better knowing exactly what the dude is going to have to do.

The parts store FCPEuro also has some really excellent DIY videos on their website and YT.
Holy jeez 40 outside 😬. I can probably do it upcoming warm weather, depends how busy, but no garage space. Ive watched a few and they seem okay to follow but not having full confidence i may screw something up lol. But leaning towards eff it and give it a shot, worst case it may take me longer than a few hours lol. But you're right 👍🏼 thanks appreciate it
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 07:39 PM   #12
Macadacious
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
I did the VCG a few months ago and it’s just a matter of being organized, going through the steps and double checking your work. While you’re at it, I would do a little cleaning and take pride in saving yourself about $1k.
I agree, thats my fear of not having everything back together how it was or miss something and have to remove abunch of stuff is whats pulling me back, but still not enough to not give it a try, definitely some cleaning and plugs if needed to be done. I mean might aswell put in fresh plugs while im at it. Appreciate it
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 10:43 PM   #13
E93Dude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E93  [0.00]
Here is why I say fixing the VCG is really not as bad as some folks make it out to be. BLOT...everything you are working on is on top of the engine. Its easy to get at. You are not having to dive deep into the engine bay, scraping your knuckles or standing at an awkward angle straining your back. You don't have to get under the car, or jack it up. Once you have the plastic engine cover off, you are removing the stainless steel fuel lines, spark plug coils, vacuum lines and a wiring harness. Then there are the +/- 26 bolts securing the VCG. Its not an especially quick job, but it is also not beyond an afternoon's work by a first timer working at a reasonable pace, with time to take a break here and there. Even at 40F. I am originally from Texas, so I really don't want to hear any Canadians bitching about working in that kind of weather. Man up, eh...

Watch the video.
      04-16-2021, 10:59 PM   #14
ky0u
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, f22 m235i, e30 325is

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
1988 BMW 325IS  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Secret tip: Your filter cowl works excellently as an accessible tray

Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 09:34 AM   #15
E93Dude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E93  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ky0u View Post

That's a really interesting idea - you got everything there at your fingertips. Just be careful not to bump into the cowl. I'd hate for it to get jostled and dump some of those parts down into the engine bay!

04-17-2021, 10:28 AM   #16
ky0u
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, f22 m235i, e30 325is

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
1988 BMW 325IS  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
That's a really interesting idea - you got everything there at your fingertips. Just be careful not to bump into the cowl. I'd hate for it to get jostled and dump some of those parts down into the engine bay!

Oh definitely, I always make sure it's secure before I start putting stuff on there

Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 07:00 PM   #17
Macadacious
Private
Rep

Quote:
Here is why I say fixing the VCG is really not as bad as some folks make it out to be. BLOT...everything you are working on is on top of the engine. Its easy to get at. You are not having to dive deep into the engine bay, scraping your knuckles or standing at an awkward angle straining your back. You don't have to get under the car, or jack it up. Once you have the plastic engine cover off, you are removing the stainless steel fuel lines, spark plug coils, vacuum lines and a wiring harness. Then there are the +/- 26 bolts securing the VCG. Its not an especially quick job, but it is also not beyond an afternoon's work by a first timer working at a reasonable pace, with time to take a break here and there. Even at 40F. I am originally from Texas, so I really don't want to hear any Canadians bitching about working in that kind of weather. Man up, eh...

Watch the video.
Yes thats very true, hahaha well i am leaning towards doing it myself, but not about the cold 😁 just would be nicer to work on when its nice out 😁. Get to sit back and smoke a joint while taking breaks, the only thing that worries me now is some bolts i cant get access to. But ill check what i need and get it. Definitely eh 😁 and yah i watched it 👍🏼 might have to wqtch a few, cause everyone does it differently lol
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 07:01 PM   #18
Macadacious
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ky0u View Post

Woah thats cool, awesome idea 👍🏼 i had that removed other day and the filter needs replacing too lol
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 09:13 PM   #19
E93Dude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E93  [0.00]
Quote:
Yes thats very true, hahaha well i am leaning towards doing it myself, but not about the cold 😁 just would be nicer to work on when its nice out 😁. Get to sit back and smoke a joint while taking breaks, the only thing that worries me now is some bolts i cant get access to. But ill check what i need and get it. Definitely eh 😁 and yah i watched it 👍🏼 might have to watch a few, cause everyone does it differently lol
Working on you car on a pleasant afternoon in shorts and t-shirt is always better that the cold, no doubt. I had to do mine when it was cold because of scheduling... Anyway, if I were you, I might save the celebratory ganja until you are done with the VCG and have everything back together. There are a lot of pieces you have to keep track of, and the bolts at the back of the VCG near the firewall can be a pain to get in, and torque correctly. You'll need a swivel head wrench adapter for those. Go for it
      04-20-2021, 12:28 AM   #20
Macadacious
Private
Rep

Quote:
Working on you car on a pleasant afternoon in shorts and t-shirt is always better that the cold, no doubt. I had to do mine when it was cold because of scheduling... Anyway, if I were you, I might save the celebratory ganja until you are done with the VCG and have everything back together. There are a lot of pieces you have to keep track of, and the bolts at the back of the VCG near the firewall can be a pain to get in, and torque correctly. You'll need a swivel head wrench adapter for those. Go for it
Indeed haha, and i hear yah when you got no choice i guess eh 😁. And yah true that definitely dont wanna mess up and have to open everything again. Oh im sure they will be a pita to tighten back up behind there lol but gotta be done. Yah i have one in the toolbox, but may need a smaller one as the one i have has a big head that wont fit properly and rubs against the valve cover. But thanks will check into it👍🏼
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 04:57 AM   #21
mapleleaf1773
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i XDrive

Garage List
I used a swivel head with wobble extensions. The wobble gives you that just needed extra room when your frustrated in hour 4+ and you just want to get finished lol
Appreciate 0