E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Watchdog & Wheels - Here we go

06-27-2012, 09:43 AM   #309
parrp
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 3er

I was in a similar situation, i had driven to Northampton to purchase the car but had the fault found at Hungerford BMW.

I would say contact your local garage to get them to check the wheel out and give them the symtoms you describe. I wouldnt put words in their mouths about thinking the alloy is cracked just let them follow their procedure.

The key fact i argued in my case was the wheel did not display any signs of impact i.e. Kerb Rash or any other kind of minor damage also the tyre did not show any signs of damage where the crack was either. The wheel alignment was not out either nor did the vehicle show any sign of damage.

The next step is to see what they say at the garage.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 03:53 AM   #310
no golf clubs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F25 2.0d SE Titanium Silver

Replacement Wheel but TYRE shocker!

I am absolutely livid with this whole debacle.

BMW have agreed to change my wheel, however they are saying that the tyre is actually now damaged! I ran approx 6-10 miles on this tyre and I blew it up immediately after the warning light came on. The pressure was at 26, so I blew this back up to 36 my preferred running pressure.

I did not run this tyre for any longer than the above and now BMW state that they can replace the wheel but the tyre has been damaged and I have to pay £370 plus VAT for a replacement tyre!

I am appauled at this. I have replacement tyre insurance YET the garage say that this will not cover it.

They say that although BMW will replace the alloy I cannot simply take the alloy away and get my tyre replaced on it by a cheaper source!

So I am held to ransom! totally sick of this situation. Any advice?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 05:20 AM   #311
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by no golf clubs View Post

They say that although BMW will replace the alloy I cannot simply take the alloy away and get my tyre replaced on it by a cheaper source!

So I am held to ransom! totally sick of this situation. Any advice?
I would get prices from local firms and get them to match as a matter of goodwill.
      06-29-2012, 06:08 AM   #312
no golf clubs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F25 2.0d SE Titanium Silver

Ok they have said that they will pay 50% of the tyre as the tyre had wear on it (it would have needed replaced this year anyway).

I think i just about can accept that, its money I was not intending in spending though just before a family holiday :-(

What riles me more is that they say the tyre was ran flat...therefore wasted its inner wall....I know that this tyre was NOT ran flat (this despite its job as a run flat is therefore questionable). When I was alerted to the pressure drop I stopped and used a compressor to rectify I would reckon I ran no more than 6 miles below 36psi at 26-28 and certainly no less.

My theory is that they damaged the tyre when doing their run out test and expected me to pick up the costs.

How many more times will this happen and what happens when I am out of warranty, its not good at all.

I can see these coming off and my 18" replicas with Winter Rubber getting used. :-(
Appreciate 0