E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Reducing smoke on a 330D

09-05-2018, 06:03 AM   #1
dragerboy
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D

Reducing smoke on a 330D

So after some possible solutions for reducing smoke on my E90 330D. Have just failed Mot due to visible smoke.

Car has DPF delete and remap but still runs EGR. Obvious solution would be to buy a DPF and refit but curious to know if I would get any errors on the dash.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 06:37 AM   #2
MooLard
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d touring

Does your car have any faults, even ones that are not lighting up on the dash?
When was the last time you gave it a good italian tune up?
Check the air filter too, if that is very old and clogged that in turn can cause smoke from unburnt fuel.

2016 435xd GC, MTC intercooler, centre and back box deletes, GKR stage 2 remap, methanol injection, H&R lowering springs. To do: wash it.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 06:40 AM   #3
dragerboy
Captain
Rep

Only faults I know of are Glow Plug (either module or plugs) and the main thermostat doesn't get above 80.

Air filter is a Pipercross item I think about 20k miles old.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 08:28 AM   #4
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

is this a joke,,if its a garage who do mot tests to the law,,then it will fail,surely you kinow the new mot rules,,i suggest you find a friendly tester.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 10:17 AM   #5
tadaska
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 320D ES

Buy an EGR blank and blank it by the exhaust. Drive for a few days and see if it makes a difference. For me it reduced soot smoke to almost none.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 10:24 AM   #6
dragerboy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadaska View Post
Buy an EGR blank and blank it by the exhaust. Drive for a few days and see if it makes a difference. For me it reduced soot smoke to almost none.
I have an EGR delete pipe but it brings up an error code which I believe is also a fail.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 10:25 AM   #7
dragerboy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasa bmw View Post
is this a joke,,if its a garage who do mot tests to the law,,then it will fail,surely you kinow the new mot rules,,i suggest you find a friendly tester.
Love to find a friendly MOT garage
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 11:06 AM   #8
tadaska
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 320D ES

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragerboy View Post
I have an EGR delete pipe but it brings up an error code which I believe is also a fail.
But does it reduce smoke? The error code can be coded out.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 11:28 AM   #9
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

easy coded out,,but if its mapped then it should of gotten done when map was done..then the cost was minimal,,but the time to take it in and get it coded out etc would be quite expensive i would think,,dont know if a good code reader could knock it out for mot..maybe?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 11:52 AM   #10
dragerboy
Captain
Rep

Yes the issue will now be that if I want it coded out then have to have remap at same time so probably £250-£300, and of course if it doesn't solve the problem I'm back to square one.

Going to give the guys who did my car 3 years ago and see what they say.

Does anyone know labour time to remove and refit a dpf?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 07:57 AM   #11
dragerboy
Captain
Rep

Update - have spoken with tuner and he says likely to be related with something else such as, boost leak, inlet manifold leak or carbon build up, oil breather system or injectors etc.

He also said the visible smoke test with a dpf car is only related to Euro Zone 6 cars 2014 onwards but I've looked through the MOT guide and not sure if this is true.

What he did say is my issue likely to be caused by another issue with car so I will be doing a few little jobs to start with and will go from there.

By the way my car failed on 8.2.2.2(d) if any MOT guys are on here.

My smoke test results Oil Temp = 73C
Peak 1 = 0.50
Zero Drift = 0.06
Average = 0.44
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 11:08 AM   #12
harveysduvet
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M-Sport Touring

Garage List
Quote:

He also said the visible smoke test with a dpf car is only related to Euro Zone 6 cars 2014 onwards but I've looked through the MOT guide and not sure if this is true.
It's not correct. Cars first used after January 2014 have to hit a lower emissions limit on the emissions testing machine but there is also a visual check for any smoke for all vehicles fitted with a DPF (including those before Jan 2014). There should be no visible smoke - if there's any visible smoke then it's a fail. It was introduced because cars which should've failed the previous visual check for tampering / removal of the DPF were still getting passed.

Good luck trying to get zero visible smoke with no DPF.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 12:01 PM   #13
dragerboy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveysduvet View Post
It's not correct. Cars first used after January 2014 have to hit a lower emissions limit on the emissions testing machine but there is also a visual check for any smoke for all vehicles fitted with a DPF (including those before Jan 2014). There should be no visible smoke - if there's any visible smoke then it's a fail. It was introduced because cars which should've failed the previous visual check for tampering / removal of the DPF were still getting passed.

Good luck trying to get zero visible smoke with no DPF.
Cheers appreciate the response. Yes I read it like you have stated. Tuning company says I could put a brand new DPF on but likely still fail as it wont stop smoke.

What annoys me about this is that I can be out driving and see hundreds of brand new petrol and diesels all smoking as they accelerate off lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 03:04 AM   #14
harveysduvet
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M-Sport Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Cheers appreciate the response. Yes I read it like you have stated. Tuning company says I could put a brand new DPF on but likely still fail as it wont stop smoke.
I think a new DPF should physically filter the smoke particulates, the issue would be that it would fill pretty quickly unless you had the regen process mapped back in. If the tuner map is putting out significantly more smoke than a standard map then it would reduce the miles it could run before it clogs to the point of needing to run a regen cycle - you'd potentially be looking at fitting it to drive to the MoT Centre and removing it once it's back if you're determined not to refit the DPF permanently and have the regeneration process mapped back in.

Even if you're handy with the spanners and can do fitting and removal yourself, it really doesn't seem worth the time, cost and effort.

You'd also be at risk of getting caught out in a roadside vehicle check if you're ever unlucky enough to get tugged for one of those. Fairly or not, diesel emissions are being clamped down on and a visibly smoking diesel less than 12 years old could be just the reason VOSA need to pull you in for a check.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 03:58 AM   #15
dragerboy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I think a new DPF should physically filter the smoke particulates, the issue would be that it would fill pretty quickly unless you had the regen process mapped back in. If the tuner map is putting out significantly more smoke than a standard map then it would reduce the miles it could run before it clogs to the point of needing to run a regen cycle - you'd potentially be looking at fitting it to drive to the MoT Centre and removing it once it's back if you're determined not to refit the DPF permanently and have the regeneration process mapped back in.
This is what I was expecting to have to do. Cost would be around £500 including labour but excluding removing the DPF again afterwards. However being told that may not solve the smoke has made me question it.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 03:59 AM   #16
dragerboy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
You'd also be at risk of getting caught out in a roadside vehicle check if you're ever unlucky enough to get tugged for one of those. Fairly or not, diesel emissions are being clamped down on and a visibly smoking diesel less than 12 years old could be just the reason VOSA need to pull you in for a check.
During normal driving no smoke is emitted from my car. I also drive in a very small area so feel this is unlikely.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 04:51 AM   #17
Silver Streek
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325d E91

Quote:
Update - have spoken with tuner and he says likely to be related with something else such as, boost leak, inlet manifold leak or carbon build up, oil breather system or injectors etc.

What he did say is my issue likely to be caused by another issue with car so I will be doing a few little jobs to start with and will go from there.
Sorry but your tuner is bullshitti ng you. All cars originally fitted with DPF from factory, or from 2009 will have a visible smoke test. ANY visible smoke will be a fail. The only way to stop this is with a DPF, it's what it's designed to do. Either get a crooked MOT place or refit DPF and reinstate the mapping to control the DPF regency function for the MOT. Whether you leave it of go back to no DPF is up to you.

You can't tune out the smoke, it's a diesel, you can reduce it with a good time but not eliminate it. Just because you can't see it coming out while your driving g doesn't mean it's not producing smoke. Try standing next to the exhaust while it's revved then you will see the smoke.

I would find another tuner if I were you. What sort of figures are you getting power wise??. Places like BMW chip tune and even Bluefin (I have one) can get decent power with the DPF in place.

Just my 2 pence worth.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 08:05 AM   #18
dragerboy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Streek View Post
Sorry but your tuner is bullshitti ng you. All cars originally fitted with DPF from factory, or from 2009 will have a visible smoke test. ANY visible smoke will be a fail. The only way to stop this is with a DPF, it's what it's designed to do. Either get a crooked MOT place or refit DPF and reinstate the mapping to control the DPF regency function for the MOT. Whether you leave it of go back to no DPF is up to you.

You can't tune out the smoke, it's a diesel, you can reduce it with a good time but not eliminate it. Just because you can't see it coming out while your driving g doesn't mean it's not producing smoke. Try standing next to the exhaust while it's revved then you will see the smoke.

I would find another tuner if I were you. What sort of figures are you getting power wise??. Places like BMW chip tune and even Bluefin (I have one) can get decent power with the DPF in place.

Just my 2 pence worth.
Cheers again, I've got nothing against the tuner at all as it was done 4 years ago and car has been faultless since really. I removed the DPF because I do small journeys only. In hindsight maybe I could have kept DPF and kept on top of Regen's etc.

Will update next week as going to order a new DPF and see if someone can fit it for me next week.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 09:38 AM   #19
Silver Streek
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325d E91

Don't forget to have the regen coding added to your map so that the DPF can do a regen otherwise it will soot up. You don't have to do huge long journeys for it to regenerate just have to get up to 75 Deg C and average around 1400 revs.

Most DPF problems come from an underlying issue such as cold running or split boost hose etc causing it to soot up or prevent it from doing a regen. A faulty glow plug controller can also prevent a regen. (I think)

Just keep up with the maintenance and make sure it's running as it should and you will probably fine you are ok with the DPF.

It is annoying to have them forced upon you but you know what, I m actually glad cars have them. Whenever I follow and older car without one it always stinks my car out with diesel fumes. Never get it following a car with a DPF fitted tho!

Just to add, if you had a Carley or similar you can force a regen yourself as preventative maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 04:24 PM   #20
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D M Sport

If I was you I'd maybe speak to BWChiptune as thats the only tuner im aware of that actually recommends leaving the DPF on when doing a remap with little difference to one that has it removed so it might be interesting to see what he has to say.

Also, you tend to find some people who have DPF issues could have prevented it but arent aware of what actually causes a DPF to clog in the first place (thermostats are common and depending on the DDE version the glow plugs may prevent a regen) both of which wouldnt show any errors on the dash. But if you go down the route of having a remap with the DPF you could also do some research and learn how to read the soot levels and also understand if the faults you pull from the car affect the regeneration and act on it before your start building up some serious bqck pressure. As i say i think BMChiptune may be a good place to start.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2018, 12:09 AM   #21
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

bwchiptune all the way

Last edited by rasa bmw; 10-10-2018 at 09:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2018, 01:55 PM   #22
nick46
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw E91 lci 330d msport

Definitely BWchiptune. Jason certainly knows his stuff when it comes to mapping and dpfs.
I travelled to him from Bridgwater in Somerset to get my 330d mapped simply because of his reviews and the fact he travels the world tuning BMW's. I opted for an all round map instead of going for the aggressive option and my car is now up to 317bhp and 673nm with the dpf still in place.
Check out Bimmerforums UK. He's on there and is constantly telling everyone you simply don't need to remove a dpf ever. I thought about getting rid of mine, but glad I read up on it and listened to what Jason has said about them.
Appreciate 0