E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Removing e90 330i airbox

12-21-2019, 03:23 AM   #1
Sxanth
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Removing e90 330i airbox

I couldn't find a link to doing this for the EU version anyone tell me how to remove the air box?

Basically I noticed major condensation on the near side headlight, had a look and the cover is not attached to the back of the light. I cannot get it back on so thought it would be easiest to remove the airbox so I can see how it's attached.

Guessing whoever changed the bulb last did not put it back on correctly and it's worked loose.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 07:28 PM   #2
OliSharp
Private
Rep
Drives: E93 330i Highline MSport

I took mine off when I changed my radiator (N53 engine), the pics below are with it all taken off.

All the guides I found where for an N54 - the start is the same, undoing all the screws from the start of the air intake ducting (by the bonnet catch). Where the "hose" takes the air into the air box I think that just comes off with a bit of gentle persuasion from a flat bladed screwdriver.

Take the top off the air box (i think they're torx screws) lift the filter out.

Undo the big jubilee clip from the ducting that leads out of the air box, and carefully disconnect the sensor. Gently prise off the ducting with a flat blade screwdriver - be super careful around that sensor!

Once everything's disconnected I think the air box itself just pulls up. There's an indent in the bottom to locate the air box when you put it back on, it sits on a bit of rubber to stop it moving around - black circle / mushroom type thing, which you can see in the pictures below, it's on the chassis rail.

I don't remember there being any nasty surprises when I took mine off, the only slight faff was getting the hoses / ducts off and back onto the air box, but just take your time and use a flat bladed screwdriver to help ease them over the lips.

I put a glove over the air ducting, it's after the filter so you don't want anything going in there while you're working.

Hope that helps!

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 02:34 AM   #3
Sxanth
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Thanks for the detailed response. I managed to do it in the end without taking the filter out. Was a bit of a pain getting the throttle body hose back on but it went.

The head light clips have been broken which is why the cover came off. Joy.

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0