E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Transmission Issue

04-19-2018, 11:42 AM   #1
Delusionn
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Post Transmission Issue

So, I have an 07' BMW 335i. Love the car to death, however I have had a problem with the transmission. The car has 117,000 miles on it and kept in good maintenance. However, the general shop I just took it to said I needed to replace the transmission (they looked at for 30 minutes, not enough to even look at anything or drop the transmission). I find that BS, so I am taking to a trans shop tomorrow morning. However I wanted some input so I opened this topic.

The problem I have is consisted of a lurch in gears most noticeably from 2nd to 1st. Most of the other gears seem fine, but shift harsher under load. I have read a few articles about the ZF transmission and it could be the solenoids or the torque converter.

I saw some transmissions from salvaged cars for around 500-600$ and am waiting to see what they find wrong tomorrow. I just wanted to see if any of you guys have seen or heard of these issues and solutions to them.

Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 12:46 PM   #2
Bavarian Tech
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2006 330i  [10.00]
Was a diagnostician test done ? Faults, condition of fluid, Metal flake in fluid ?
Generally speaking, ZF 6spd are fairly reliable. Hard downshift can be caused by a number of issues, I highly suggest you take your car to a high end trans shop Not AAMCO or the dealership. Even if the trans is found to be faulty (which is rare), the module is part of the trans and programmed a one vin so unless you know someone with the knowledge/tools a used trans wont really work and new ones are thousands
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2018, 01:52 PM   #3
Delusionn
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian Tech View Post
Was a diagnostician test done ? Faults, condition of fluid, Metal flake in fluid ?
Generally speaking, ZF 6spd are fairly reliable. Hard downshift can be caused by a number of issues, I highly suggest you take your car to a high end trans shop Not AAMCO or the dealership. Even if the trans is found to be faulty (which is rare), the module is part of the trans and programmed a one vin so unless you know someone with the knowledge/tools a used trans wont really work and new ones are thousands
Yes I've read they are reliable as well so it's odd a good rated shop blew me off like that. The one I'm going too has quite high ratings so I hope to god they don't disappoint. Good point about the transmission swap but I believe the module can be swapped (call my bluff though). I'll see what they say early in the morning tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 10:59 AM   #4
Delusionn
Rep

So update,

the shop said it was a "minor" issue but the mechatronics need to be replaced and quoted me 3 grand lol. That did not make much sense to me, so now im just thinking of what I should do :/
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 11:47 AM   #5
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delusionn View Post
So update,

the shop said it was a "minor" issue but the mechatronics need to be replaced and quoted me 3 grand lol. That did not make much sense to me, so now im just thinking of what I should do :/
Get the hell out of that shop asap... "minor issue" for 3 grand

Look for more Indy shops in your area.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 06:13 PM   #6
Delusionn
Rep

Update again,

New more trustworthy shop gave me a quote saying it COULD be the mechatronics or could just be the bushings in the transmission. They even showed me their back room of transmissions and what causes issues and why it is so expensive to fix. Either way they quoted me 2.8-4 grand.

Going to look at what I can do legally with the dealership I bought it from since when I asked specifically about the transmission they said it had no problems when they clearly knew it did.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 10:42 PM   #7
grzes
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 335d LCI

Quote:
Update again,

New more trustworthy shop gave me a quote saying it COULD be the mechatronics or could just be the bushings in the transmission. They even showed me their back room of transmissions and what causes issues and why it is so expensive to fix. Either way they quoted me 2.8-4 grand.

Going to look at what I can do legally with the dealership I bought it from since when I asked specifically about the transmission they said it had no problems when they clearly knew it did.
be firm with them and don't forget to include BMW US in your conversations if by e-mail, when I got my car few years ago the car was in and out of the dealer for 2 years, they even extended the warranty for one more year but cause I have included BMW Canada in my conversations they refunded 2K out of the purchase price and give me another year of the warranty good luck
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 09:25 AM   #8
BashShah
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan

Ummm..... I would not pay 2K or anywhere near there for the BS both shops stated.

1) change your Tranny Oil, if you have never done it.
2) at the same time, change your Machatronic Sleeve,as they are prone to leaks.
But at your mileage, you should be changing your oil anyways.
This sleeve is like $12 to $20 and it is a pain to do it, cause of the location, but should not take more than 20 min to change.

3) you MUST do a FULL Adaptation reset properly with INPA or a BMW programming tool.
This resets, fuel, air, tranny and a whole bunch of other things.
For the first 100 miles, car will learn and RE adapt to what values work.

If your tartly is not leaking , I seriously doubt you have an issue with it, other than an oil change.
And if you are leaking from the mechatronic sleeve, it’s just a plastic sleeve around the electronic connector on the tranny.

PS: I have 1.5 bottles or litres of ZF 6 OEM Tranny oil. Let me know if our want it.
Minimal cost plus Shipping is on you.
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2018, 11:08 PM   #9
Delusionn
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BashShah View Post
Ummm..... I would not pay 2K or anywhere near there for the BS both shops stated.

1) change your Tranny Oil, if you have never done it.
2) at the same time, change your Machatronic Sleeve,as they are prone to leaks.
But at your mileage, you should be changing your oil anyways.
This sleeve is like $12 to $20 and it is a pain to do it, cause of the location, but should not take more than 20 min to change.

3) you MUST do a FULL Adaptation reset properly with INPA or a BMW programming tool.
This resets, fuel, air, tranny and a whole bunch of other things.
For the first 100 miles, car will learn and RE adapt to what values work.

If your tartly is not leaking , I seriously doubt you have an issue with it, other than an oil change.
And if you are leaking from the mechatronic sleeve, it’s just a plastic sleeve around the electronic connector on the tranny.

PS: I have 1.5 bottles or litres of ZF 6 OEM Tranny oil. Let me know if our want it.
Minimal cost plus Shipping is on you.
Yea I know these transmissions are supposed to be really good. I have the HP19 model transmission and I just wish there was a transmission shop here in Atlanta that wasn't trying to hustle me. If any of you guys know a place I will be willing to drive to it. I care about my car and I really do not want this to be an issue. Would also be willing to meet up with someone who knows these cars here in Atlanta.

PS: They did a transmission adaption reset and the harsh 2-1 shifts stopped but the gears when upshifting and downshifting under load seem harsh still.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 08:23 PM   #10
BashShah
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan

Quote:
Yea I know these transmissions are supposed to be really good. I have the HP19 model transmission and I just wish there was a transmission shop here in Atlanta that wasn't trying to hustle me. If any of you guys know a place I will be willing to drive to it. I care about my car and I really do not want this to be an issue. Would also be willing to meet up with someone who knows these cars here in Atlanta.

PS: They did a transmission adaption reset and the harsh 2-1 shifts stopped but the gears when upshifting and downshifting under load seem harsh still.
when was the last time the Tranny Oil was changed?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2018, 10:19 AM   #11
kkasson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 328i, 08 BMW 528i

How bad does it feel? You might consider updating the software, if it hasn't been updated already. There were issues especially with the 2-1 downshift being rough that were corrected with software updates.

You probably have an idea of how bad it is just by driving it - if it feels like something is actually wrong and it's going to break then it could be something more serious, but if it's more of an annoying and just a slight feeling that it isn't shifting the way it's supposed to then it's possible the software will help.

Also agree about checking the fluid level - did any of the shops check it for you? The way to check it is very precise - it needs to be cooled down all the way, and then checked while the engine is running and it's in park.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 09:21 PM   #12
lantyem
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

I would second then above suggestion to change oil, filter, and reset adaptations. Are there no codes thrown by the computer?
There are also DIY guides on replacing the solenoids yourself if you're comfortable with that.
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1193573

edit: I didn't realize this post was that old (sorry!)
Appreciate 0