E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Adam's 2012 E92 Sport Plus edition custom build thread

02-11-2015, 01:51 PM   #1
computid
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92

Adam's 2012 E92 Sport Plus edition custom build thread

This is going to be a long first post, probably mostly my rambling and un-required photos giving you far too much detail about my car and the history of it

In January 2014 I picked up this beauty, ex BMW, 4k miles etc.

Sport plus edition, 313M wheels and VERY clean. I managed a whole two weeks in it before 3 wheels got bent and I had to replace them (long story, don't ask...).

At the time I was rather desperate to get the car back on the road and didn't particularly fancy putting back some 313's because they seemed rather... well.. bendy. SO I managed to get a set of MV3's for a good price and stuck them on the car:

This is basically how it sat for the best part of a year. Well, that was until the Cam Chain tensioner failed and it had to go into BMW for a week. I REALLY enjoyed the courtesy car they gave me:

Apparently enterprise won't give me a courtesy car above 1.0L because I'm under 21 or something. I mean, it's not like I spent the same money as everybody else on my car and as such deserve the same service :P

Not that I'm bitter...

But I digress!

At some point in mid march 2014 I got bored, did a bit of online shopping and wound up with this being delivered

I also bought the standard BMW catches to go on it and a pair of aero catches to secure the top layer just-in-case.

This has sat in my garage until now as I've never gotten around to fitting it, something I'm hoping to fix rather soon :P

In September of last year I started to experience some issues with the car so I put it into BMW for a check over. The courtesy car I was given was this:

I'd always wondered what a low spec 1 series is like to drive, they gave me a 116d manual with "eco plus" mode or some such. Without going into it too much (don't want to offend anybody on here) I'm not a fan.

I also had my windscreen replaced in January due to a massive crack across the screen:

And thats how it sat until last week. Now one thing that's always bugged me about this car is the sound quality. It's got the base stereo system and it's always struck me as being, frankly, awful. I mean it's not too bad for a stock system but it's still pretty crap.

Luckily I spotted a member on here had a BSW (Bavarian Soundwerks) speaker system for sale. I went and picked it up the same day (Big thanks to AdamZA!) and took it home. Last weekend I set about installing it armed with some trim removal tools. All in all it's a pretty easy install. Thanks to the base stereo not having an amp in the boot I had to spur off the rear speaker wires into the boot space and wire them into the LOC. It was all pretty easy really! Here are the few photos I took. I need to take some of the finished trunk sub install really.

I had some time left over, so I also plasti-dipped my kidney grilles black:

While I was there I did the headlight washers and the tow point cover. Didn't take any photos of those though

And thats where it sits now. This weekend it's getting a twin exit exhaust fitted along with a new diffuser which should even the back end up (I like symmetry), plus it'll look a hell of a lot better then that awful ovular single exit thing BMW put on. It should also be getting all the lights tinted and the roof wrapped black quite soon. I'm planning to try and start fitting the carbon bonnet on Sunday, but I don't expect to get the aero catches fitted in time for it to be finished at the weekend.

My plans for the near future are:
  1. Bilstein B14 coilovers
  2. Ispiri ISR 10's
  3. M1 Front bumper
  4. Carbon Fibre Interior Trim
  5. Carbon Fibre Boot lid

Hopefully I'll remember to keep this thread updated as I go, hope you all enjoy it!

- Adam

Last edited by computid; 02-11-2015 at 04:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 02:03 PM   #2
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Car looks to be coming along great!

What kind of subwoofer box is that in the trunk?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 02:13 PM   #3
computid
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastMode335i View Post
Car looks to be coming along great!

What kind of subwoofer box is that in the trunk?

Thanks!
Thanks man

It's made by this company called BavSound:

http://www.bavsound.com/Subwoofer-Sy...ystem/Buy-Now/

It goes in that random space that doesn't really serve any purpose under the boot floor. It's about 30cm (12 inches) deep.

I don't think it fits 335i's though unfortunately, the twin back box takes up the space where the extra bit of boot is. They might make something for your car though if you pop in the info into their website.

Last edited by computid; 02-11-2015 at 02:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 02:57 PM   #4
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

I did see it, looks bad ass..!! I wonder if the dimensions are on par with whats needed to produce some low down bass..

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 03:17 PM   #5
garysan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d E92

How does it sound compared to the stock system?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 03:30 PM   #6
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI | E63 M6 V10

Liking this matey great work so far
      02-11-2015, 04:25 PM   #7
computid
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastMode335i View Post
I did see it, looks bad ass..!! I wonder if the dimensions are on par with whats needed to produce some low down bass..

Thank you!
It sounds pretty good, gives a nice bass note. It'll happily make the front seats give you a massage whilst stationary if you play something particularly bassey

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysan View Post
How does it sound compared to the stock system?
Much improved. The stock system is pretty bad in most respects. The highs were non existent, the lows were crappy and the bass was pretty terrible. Now the highs are much better (but not perfect), the lows are good and the bass is awesome. I'm pretty happy with it and lets be honest, you don't need an audiophile grade system in a car as you're never going to be able to benefit from it whilst traveling at 70mph!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWBimmer View Post
Liking this matey great work so far
Thanks dude! Yours looks pretty sweet in your sig pic. If you don't mind me asking who did your headlights?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 02:32 AM   #8
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Liking the additions. And that CF bonnet does look good. Not sure I could last out that long having it sat there lol

Will be good to see it fitted.
      02-12-2015, 03:45 AM   #9
dy63
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30

i would get a different set of wheels. i dont think MV3 suit coupe or converts and going from 313 to MV3 is abig step down IMO!

Car does look good though!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 05:32 AM   #10
225_AB
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i

Garage List
2014 M235i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 330D  [0.00]
Good work mate, completely agree with you re courtesy car. I quite like the mv3's
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 06:03 AM   #11
richk84
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: e93 330i

I do like the sport plus models, defo need to change the wheels though
Appreciate 0