E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > If you've seen this before, you've seen a lot......

03-22-2020, 03:24 PM   #23
jsunma
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 328iT 6MT RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
The car needs a new wheel, caliper, caliper carrier, bolts and guide pins, pads, brake hose, brake flush, maybe a new rotor, or a light resurfacing, and proper reassembly of the components. You are going junk it? Really?

By the pic, you are mostly already halfway through the rebuild. ASSuming the hub is not damaged.
This is what I came here to say. New wheel, new caliper, new brake line(s), bleed and call it a day. The rest of the car looks fine.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 08:03 PM   #24
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Yes, the carrier has to be removed [to replace the Rotor]. I've never replaced the bolts. Just use Loc-Tight Blue
Cheaper than new bolts, & probably as (or more) effective. Also cheaper than a tow, wheel, brake hose, & caliper replacement. Walmart: $6. The packaging even shows you how to apply it -- NO "video" required
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Loctite-0...iABEgIAt_D_BwE

George
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17197.50
      03-23-2020, 01:00 AM   #25
C4maro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antetokounmpo View Post
Caliper bolts sheared, probably were not torqued then backed out
That's a thing?? I've never even torqued them, just tighten as much as I can
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 10:20 AM   #26
falconey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18 f80cs, 21 f97

For those asking the big sticking point on 'junkies it' is the wheel. I can't replace it so all new wheels too or shitty wheels. Either way cost goes up. Thinking of repairing for my son, but too much power I think.

Anyways the update is i finally got around to getting the rotor off this morning. What a pain in the ass.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 10:36 AM   #27
M-technik-3
Major
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, E36 M3, 328iT, 335i

Garage List
1995 M3  [9.00]
2007 E91  [7.25]
1988 M3  [9.50]
Have seen this years ago in the e30 world but that was normally owner failing to secure them properly.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 06:27 PM   #28
SabineBimmer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i LBlue Met

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconey View Post
I'm a grown man and not here for a lecture, lol. I was just sharing my story. BTW I was the genius that changed the pads. I've done over 50 brake jobs in my life and I've done it 4 times on my 335i. I changed the pads and rotors in December and I take it very seriously. I obviously made a mistake or my torque wrench is fawked. I'm sure you walk through your life of perfection looking down at others, but I get quite a bit right in my life including auto maintenance. Maybe not this time and if so, God is watching over me because He saved my bacon.

The tow guy and me realized the wheel was stuck due to caliper and brake line. There was no squealing until after the clunk. The clunk was the caliper going through the wheel. I was on the side of a busy road with part of my car stuck out on the road and the back half on a decline, plus my car is lowered. The amount of crap I'd have to go through to get the car out without damage was just not worth it.

Anyways the really shatty part of this, is the car has been riding sooooo good. I've been wanting update my weekend car to an IS so this will probably push me to do that.
I have to come to George's defense. Losing a brake caliper in this manner can only look like an error in the reassembly of the brake. The torque on the cage bolts is around 50 pounds or less (rear brake) going from memory. Even without a torque wrench, an experienced hand would know what the nearly correct tightness was. Either the bolts were not tightened at all (left finger tight), or the bolts were far over torqued, stretched beyond their yeild strength and eventually failed.

Getting rid of the car based on poor craftsmanship with a brake job seems a bit silly and really just an excuse.
Agreed. Yeah it can be seen as condescending, but George has a point. There's more to the story. It is easy to talk about this as a simple mechanical failure, but if someone, including you, was hurt/killed, it wouldn't be so easy. And on top of that, someone would/will be liable.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 06:28 PM   #29
SabineBimmer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4maro View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antetokounmpo View Post
Caliper bolts sheared, probably were not torqued then backed out
That's a thing?? I've never even torqued them, just tighten as much as I can
Yes. The repair manual should give you the torque numbers.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 07:10 PM   #30
SabineBimmer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsunma View Post
Quote:
The car needs a new wheel, caliper, caliper carrier, bolts and guide pins, pads, brake hose, brake flush, maybe a new rotor, or a light resurfacing, and proper reassembly of the components. You are going junk it? Really?

By the pic, you are mostly already halfway through the rebuild. ASSuming the hub is not damaged.
This is what I came here to say. New wheel, new caliper, new brake line(s), bleed and call it a day. The rest of the car looks fine.
Please also bleed the brakes appropriately.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 01:04 PM   #31
falconey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18 f80cs, 21 f97

Finally got the car up and running today after months of procrastination and another month of addressing one off issues.

Ultimately I had to cut off the dust shield, install new brake line, rebuild parts of the caliper, replace parking brake shoes, replaced pin bolts and carrier bolts and bled the brakes. Car is braking and driving fine, but there is some rotational metallic noise. Possibly needs more brake lube or maybe rotors need to be turned. They cleaned off good on the test run so I'm really not sure. Hope to find a shop that can turn drilled/slotted rotors.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17197.50
      07-26-2020, 11:37 AM   #32
Thorin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e91 6MT ZSP

Back to the original failure, did you reuse the caliper mount bolts or buy new?
Appreciate 0