E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Oil Level Sensor in my 2006 Bmw 325i

05-22-2020, 09:36 PM   #1
Motivation2k12
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 325I

Oil Level Sensor in my 2006 Bmw 325i

I swapped my oil level sensor out on my 06 325i and it’s still not reading my oil level. I have 210k miles on it and I’m wondering if these cars just get to a point where they no longer read oil levels ? Has anyone experienced this issue before ?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 06:27 AM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

So the e-dipstick is not reporting an oil level in the gage cluster and not indicating any error? You should scan the car for BMW trouble codes as a first level of troubleshooting.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 12:42 PM   #3
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Get the bimmergeeks.net cable and diags.
It may be likely that one of the devices that the BSD
Line shares with the oil sensor is bad.
You might try unplugging the IBS for a little while
and see if you can take a reading.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 01:58 PM   #4
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motivation2k12 View Post
I swapped my oil level sensor out on my 06 325i and it’s still not reading my oil level. I have 210k miles on it and I’m wondering if these cars just get to a point where they no longer read oil levels ?
There are a number of things that COULD cause the OZS (Oil Condition Sensor) that measures oil level, oil temperature, and oil condition, to NOT function as it should. Simply reaching a certain MILEAGE is NOT one of those things (RIGHT "F30"? ;-)

Try to read oil level BEFORE starting engine ("Static" oil level, read with Ignition ON but engine OFF, Press START WITHOUT pressing Brake or Clutch). NOTE exactly what message or info is displayed on Instrument Cluster. THEN try to read oil level AFTER starting engine. NOTE exactly what message or info is displayed on Instrument Cluster. Let us know that information.

Do you have ANY Scan Tool or Diagnostic Software? Fault Codes saved in DME (Engine Control Module) would be helpful in diagnosing the issue. Do you have any warning lights on Instrument Cluster after engine is started?

Here are TIS circuit diagram for (1) "Oil Supply" which shows OZS as "B62540a", and (2) Interface Signals circuit, which shows the four components which communicate with the DME via the BSD Interface or BUS, see the Violet-colored wires:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ne-oil/oXDCoJm
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...rfaces/g2ozm6t

Do the following tests at the Connector to the OZS under the car with Multimeter:
1) Test for 12V+ (with Ignition ON) in reference to chassis ground at Pin #3, Orange wire, and for continuity to chassis ground at pin #2, Brown wire.

2) IF those tests are OK, check for IBS disconnected from Chassis Connector, X13895 at the TIS Installation Location shown in this link (above battery negative terminal):
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e90-325i-lim/SQE9rMY

The TIS wiring diagrams are "interactive" so you can get more information on a component, such as Installation Location or Connector View, by simply clicking on a component.

George

Last edited by gbalthrop; 05-23-2020 at 02:04 PM..
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17200.50
      05-24-2020, 07:13 AM   #5
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
There are a number of things that COULD cause the OZS (Oil Condition Sensor) that measures oil level, oil temperature, and oil condition, to NOT function as it should. Simply reaching a certain MILEAGE is NOT one of those things (RIGHT "F30"? ;-)

Try to read oil level BEFORE starting engine ("Static" oil level, read with Ignition ON but engine OFF, Press START WITHOUT pressing Brake or Clutch). NOTE exactly what message or info is displayed on Instrument Cluster. THEN try to read oil level AFTER starting engine. NOTE exactly what message or info is displayed on Instrument Cluster. Let us know that information.

Do you have ANY Scan Tool or Diagnostic Software? Fault Codes saved in DME (Engine Control Module) would be helpful in diagnosing the issue. Do you have any warning lights on Instrument Cluster after engine is started?

Here are TIS circuit diagram for (1) "Oil Supply" which shows OZS as "B62540a", and (2) Interface Signals circuit, which shows the four components which communicate with the DME via the BSD Interface or BUS, see the Violet-colored wires:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ne-oil/oXDCoJm
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...rfaces/g2ozm6t

Do the following tests at the Connector to the OZS under the car with Multimeter:
1) Test for 12V+ (with Ignition ON) in reference to chassis ground at Pin #3, Orange wire, and for continuity to chassis ground at pin #2, Brown wire.

2) IF those tests are OK, check for IBS disconnected from Chassis Connector, X13895 at the TIS Installation Location shown in this link (above battery negative terminal):
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e90-325i-lim/SQE9rMY

The TIS wiring diagrams are "interactive" so you can get more information on a component, such as Installation Location or Connector View, by simply clicking on a component.

George
So that's what I was trying to get answered; to see if it is the knuckleheaded oil life monitor programming going defunct after 183,000 miles. Over 210,000 miles is when the CBS starts playing tricks with the oil reset.

If the OZS is defective, the gage cluster should come up with an "inactive" message at a minimum. It's such a simple device, that usually the problem is the circuit it plugs into rather than the sensor itself, as you are alluding to.

Hope the OP figures it out.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 11:31 AM   #6
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
So that's what I was trying to get answered; to see if it is the knuckleheaded oil life monitor programming going defunct after 183,000 miles. Over 210,000 miles is when the CBS starts playing tricks with the oil reset...
I haven't reached 183,000/186,000 YET (is that related to "speed of light"? ), but I thought posts on that subject were stating they could NOT reset Oil Change Service (CBS) after that mileage. I understood that to be related to a "mileage-COUNTER" ONLY and NOT to some reading of oil quality (or level) by the OZS. I don't recall anyone stating they could NOT read Oil Level after that mileage.

AFAIK, the Oil Level Sensor reading on the Instrument Cluster using the B/C buttons on the turn signal stalk, and resetting the Oil Service "counter" are two SEPARATE functions, and NOT related electronically, as far as chip function or programming.

ANYONE have a link to "Fix"/"Workaround" for the 183,000 mile "limit" on CBS Oil Service "Reset"? Is there a "software update" where you can keep resetting (beyond 400,000 miles for "F30"'s sake ;-), or HOW do you just turn it OFF so it doesn't keep telling you that you need Service when you don't?

"F30", you need to speak to the "knucklehead" at BMW who determined (either intentionally or accidentally ;-) that 183,000 was "End-of-Life". Send them some photos of your car & Odometer reading (displayed in km, as that's even MORE impressive).

Thanks,
George
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 11:47 AM   #7
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I haven't reached 183,000/186,000 YET (is that related to "speed of light"? ), but I thought posts on that subject were stating they could NOT reset Oil Change Service (CBS) after that mileage. I understood that to be related to a "mileage-COUNTER" ONLY and NOT to some reading of oil quality (or level) by the OZS. I don't recall anyone stating they could NOT read Oil Level after that mileage.

AFAIK, the Oil Level Sensor reading on the Instrument Cluster using the B/C buttons on the turn signal stalk, and resetting the Oil Service "counter" are two SEPARATE functions, and NOT related electronically, as far as chip function or programming.

ANYONE have a link to "Fix"/"Workaround" for the 183,000 mile "limit" on CBS Oil Service "Reset"? Is there a "software update" where you can keep resetting (beyond 400,000 miles for "F30"'s sake ;-), or HOW do you just turn it OFF so it doesn't keep telling you that you need Service when you don't?

"F30", you need to speak to the "knucklehead" at BMW who determined (either intentionally or accidentally ;-) that 183,000 was "End-of-Life". Send them some photos of your car & Odometer reading (displayed in km*, as that's even MORE impressive).

Thanks,
George
It was early this morning when I posted. Not a full compliment of coffee. I mistyped; the oil life monitor issue starts at 186,000 miles (300,000 km). So at 186,000 the ECU stops accepting the oil quality data provided by the OZS. At the next oil service past 186,000 the reset will either not reset at all, or reset at a lower estimated interval than the owner is used to seeing (assuming the owner DIYs his engine oil service). When the ECU has no oil quality data, the algorithm can not calculate the new oil service interval. Eventually the CBS just doesn't reset at all and thinks the engine is constantly past due on an oil service. At 212,000 I didn't get a "full" reset value. At 221,000 the CBS wouldn't reset.

There is a software fix for it, which simply codes out the past due oil notification from the combi, so it just doesn't appear as a notification (the ECU still thinks the engine is over sue for an oil change). Back in 2013 when BMW and I discovered the issue, BMW did not have a software fix (even though they has a service bulletin on it - I posted it long ago). BMW N.A. opened up a PUMA case on my car with BMW AG and at some point BMW AG fixed the software so the code-out now works; they never told me about it.

The coding section has the details on how to code it out.

* There is a guy on E46Fanatics with more than 620,000 miles on his E46. He found out the "limit" of the E46 odometer is 1,000,000 km. He car just stopped counting miles after 1 million kilometers. I wonder if that'll be my next problem... LOL.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 05-24-2020 at 11:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 02:36 PM   #8
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

if you have an ISTA install it's one of the service actions for the combi as well.

I can't remember the exact wording, but it's in there.

I looked as I'm at 160K, so quickly approaching.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 04:55 PM   #9
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
if you have an ISTA install it's one of the service actions for the combi as well...
WHAT was/is your understanding of what that ISTA "service action" for KOMBI/Instrument Cluster DOES? Does it re-program the KOMBI to allow normal Oil Service Interval Reset after 186,000 miles? Does it simply remove Oil Service from CBS? Something else?

It would appear that either the Factory programming had a limitation in the mileage counter formula/computation, or the allocated memory area or field size is too limited, or something of that nature. If it's a programming error, that can be easily corrected. If it's a hardware limitation, then disabling it is the only practical solution. ANYONE got any reliable concept of WHAT is causing the 186,000 mile "ceiling", and/or what ANY "Fix" actually DOES, conceptually at least?

BTW, "I don't KNOW" is an acceptable answer -- although seldom heard in the Trump era. For the RECORD: I (George) do NOT KNOW!!!

Thanks,
George
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 09:09 AM   #10
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

the description stated it removed the oil life reminder from the kombi.

I think all it does is remove the nag on the cluster, but I don't know for sure as I haven't gotten there yet.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 09:18 AM   #11
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
WHAT was/is your understanding of what that ISTA "service action" for KOMBI/Instrument Cluster DOES? Does it re-program the KOMBI to allow normal Oil Service Interval Reset after 186,000 miles? Does it simply remove Oil Service from CBS? Something else?

It would appear that either the Factory programming had a limitation in the mileage counter formula/computation, or the allocated memory area or field size is too limited, or something of that nature. If it's a programming error, that can be easily corrected. If it's a hardware limitation, then disabling it is the only practical solution. ANYONE got any reliable concept of WHAT is causing the 186,000 mile "ceiling", and/or what ANY "Fix" actually DOES, conceptually at least?

BTW, "I don't KNOW" is an acceptable answer -- although seldom heard in the Trump era. For the RECORD: I (George) do NOT KNOW!!!

George
Here's the service bulletin that BMW gave me in 2013. Sterling even hooked up my car up to the BMW North America network so the BMW engineers at BMW's USA headquarters in NJ could try to make the software fix. The BMW N.A. engineers were unsuccessful running the SCBS_6006 routine in the service bulletin. At that time BMW N.A. completely updated all of the code in my car in every ECU in an attempt to fix the problem. They had the car for 8 days. With the discussion I had with head Tech at BMW of Sterling (VA) and the BMW N.A. East Coast tech rep (Sterling brought both in to review my car.), I was told the software was programmed to stop recognizing the OZS oil condition data at 300,000 clicks, which makes the CBS fault to the condition noted in the service bulletin. No one at the time had an explanation as to why the software was programmed the way it is. Note that the software patch can't be installed until after the car hits 186,000 miles.

Obviously it's not a mileage or oil change "counter" problem bug in the software, or BMW would simply fix the bug. The SCBS-6006 routine just codes out the past-due oil service notification from the KOMBI so it doesn't show up as an annoying notification (I lived with the condition for more than 3 years BTW ). If the dealer reflashes the software, the notification comes back, as I found out after the airbag recalls were performed on my car. I had to take my car back to get the routine reinstalled.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf OZS Reset_correction.pdf (87.3 KB, 85 views)
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 10:42 AM   #12
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Here's the service bulletin that BMW gave me in 2013...Note that the software patch can't be installed until after the car hits 186,000 miles. [Looks like it basically "codes-out", or disables (nicht aktiv) display of, Oil Service CBS function]...If the dealer reflashes the software, the notification comes back, as I found out after the airbag recalls were performed on my car. I had to take my car back to get the routine reinstalled.
It appears that they are just "hiding" the Oil Service warning, or making that function "inactive". That would explain why warning came back after "Options" were restored to factory due to "Reflash".

I have, but have NOT used, NCS Dummy in BMW Standard Tools. It shows the following Option (Coding) selection in the KOMBI Module:
CBS_STAT_01H - CONDITION BASED SERVICE (CBS) STATUS FOR ENGINE OIL
anzeige - display
sperre - hide
erprobung - test
ANYONE who has/uses NCS (BMW Coding Software) might check to see if that option/setting is currently "anzeige" (display), and what happens when "sperre" (hide) is selected and saved instead. My SWAG is THAT is what the Dealer did, perhaps using software OTHER than NCS, and NOT understanding what was actually being done, but just following the "bread-crumb trail."

I can see NO reason one would have to wait until 300,000 km (~ 186,000 mi.) BEFORE "hiding" Oil Service warning. I think that was just a CYA by BMW "Legal" to prevent possible liability for turning off the warning BEFORE the customer complained about the "inconvenience" of "the warning light from Hell".

"F30", thanks for the pdf (again ;-). When I went to save it in my "Instruments" (KOMBI) Folder, I realized I had already saved that on 1/5/19. TMI/TLM (Too Much Information/Too Little Mind ;-)

The fact that all the "highly-credentialed US Techs" you describe didn't know what the "Engineers in Munich" knew eight or ten years earlier (KOMBI coding) is rather amusing. I hope the US guys at least provided you with a free "loaner" during the 8 days. So much for "American Exceptionalism".

George
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 11:07 AM   #13
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It appears that they are just "hiding" the Oil Service warning, or making that function "inactive". That would explain why warning came back after "Options" were restored to factory due to "Reflash".

I have, but have NOT used, NCS Dummy in BMW Standard Tools. It shows the following Option (Coding) selection in the KOMBI Module:
CBS_STAT_01H - CONDITION BASED SERVICE (CBS) STATUS FOR ENGINE OIL
anzeige - display
sperre - hide
erprobung - test
ANYONE who has/uses NCS (BMW Coding Software) might check to see if that option/setting is currently "anzeige" (display), and what happens when "sperre" (hide) is selected and saved instead. My SWAG is THAT is what the Dealer did, perhaps using software OTHER than NCS, and NOT understanding what was actually being done, but just following the "bread-crumb trail."

I can see NO reason one would have to wait until 300,000 km (~ 186,000 mi.) BEFORE "hiding" Oil Service warning. I think that was just a CYA by BMW "Legal" to prevent possible liability for turning off the warning BEFORE the customer complained about the "inconvenience" of "the warning light from Hell".

"F30", thanks for the pdf (again ;-). When I went to save it in my "Instruments" (KOMBI) Folder, I realized I had already saved that on 1/5/19. TMI/TLM (Too Much Information/Too Little Mind ;-)

The fact that all the "highly-credentialed US Techs" you describe didn't know what the "Engineers in Munich" knew eight or ten years earlier (KOMBI coding) is rather amusing. I hope the US guys at least provided you with a free "loaner" during the 8 days. So much for "American Exceptionalism".

George
Well, I think what was the situation is BMW AG did not have the software fix in place in August 2013. BMW N.A. told me that I had the highest reported mileage on an E9X at the time in August 2013. Obviously that was based on the cars that any US dealership had seen by August 2103. BMW N.A. opened a "PUMA" case in August 2013 on my car because of this issue. It was explained to me that PUMA cases are opened with BMW AG when there is an unsolvable issue with a BMW somewhere in the world, so BMW AG can resolve the problem and create a fix. So at the time it was my understanding from discussing the issue with the dealership and the BMW rep, my car was the first to come upon the issue. I believe that BMW AG simply did not have the fix and there was no incompetence at BMW N.A. After the PUMA case was opened, I followed up for several months with BMW N.A. until I got frustrated and gave up, which is when I first posted about the problem here on E90 Post. Had BMW AG had the software routine in place and it was just a simple case that the American BMW engineers didn't know how to implement the fix, the PUMA case would have been closed in a matter of days. Anyway, I'd bet most of the engineers at BMW's North American headquarters are Germans trained at BMW AG.

In late July 2016, I found myself near my selling dealership, BMW of Charlottesville and figured I'd take a shot to see if the PUMA case had been resolved. The Service Manager at Cville BMW said he had heard of the issue and was familiar with the oil life monitor service notification, but that he had never seen a car with that level of mileage to "operate" on. We agreed that he'd try the fix and not charge me if it didn't work. Cville BMW was successful, and finally at 306,000 miles and 3 years of waiting, I was finally relieved from the effing oil notification. It cost me $100, just to add insult to injury.

In August 2013 the dealership did provide a loaner for the entire 8 days they had the car. I had an F30 335i automatic. It was at that time, after driving such a crappy 3-series as I found the F30 to be, in combination with the oil life monitor fiasco, I decided at that time BMW would never sell me a new vehicle from their catalog. A review of any of BMW's 3-series since August 2013 I've done (and the eye-opening revelation Cadillac builds a great chassis) has proven BMW has become the old GM IMO . Now, dropping a manual transmission option from the G20 in the US market has further solidified my opinions and feelings toward BMW. My relationship with BMW cars goes back to the mid 1970's; but eh, the world remains non-static.

If there is any lack of exceptionalism, my experience indicates it is with the Germans and BMW AG.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 05-25-2020 at 11:24 AM..
Appreciate 0