Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Miss your run flat tires?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

11-17-2011, 08:13 PM   #23
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
The handling characteristics of a non-RFT tire like the Hankook V12 is lightyears ahead on the track .... RFTs are a joke for that.

That said I switched from 18" RFT to 19" non-RFT when I changed wheels (OEM), haven't looked back. Despite increasing the wheel size, w/ non-RFT the ride is more compliant, doesn't get upset over broken pavement, handles better at the limit, and is quieter. And cheaper.

There's a lot of different experiences posted in this thread ... my advice to anyone debating is the same as the OP's - attend a local meet and maybe someone will let you drive their car with non-RFT. See for yourself. If you plan to do any HPDEs in the future, I would not even consider RFT.
      11-17-2011, 08:37 PM   #24
carrot
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 323i

I just switched from RFT to Non-RFT Dunlop 3D winters 17". I agree with OP in that the handling - particularly turn in, seems less crisp.

However, the ride is better, quieter.

But the biggest gain for me is no rear end skipping anymore. Before, when I take connecting ramps on the Freeway at spirited speeds... when I pass over the steel connecting junction, the rear end skipped and DSC would flash bananas, and scared the crap out of me. Now I just cruise.. I have way more CONTACT with the road.
11 E90 323i 6MTAW|Black|Satin BMW Performance Grill • F1 Pinnacle 30 • |Coded: M3 Digital Speedometer • Corner Light Del • AE-DRL | • Mtec H7 • Mtec H8 • RDash AE LED V2 • M3 Lip Spoiler • BMW SSK • Gloss Black Roof
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 11:20 PM   #25
AYF80
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY F80

Strange though, I thought the Non Run were for more performance. I didn't mind the Run Flat ride, though the last time I drove my car was over 2 years ago. But I remember Loving the ride. But then again it was my first new sport car.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 11:23 PM   #26
AYF80
Major
Rep

So It does not "feel as crisp" but it actually is much more? and its smoother?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 11:24 PM   #27
Express
Major General
Israel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.30]
runflats- a love/hate thing.

have to admit. my runflats are from 2006. the date on the tires are 3606.

they still have some life! 38,500 and counting.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 11:33 PM   #28
AYF80
Major
Rep

Yeah this is hard...

I guess the RFT may be the best for me, Plus if you get a flat your good for a while.

I actually blew BOTH of my rears out at the same time... put about 50 + miles on them before they were off the rim. tried to make it home, was in the middle of no where. Luckily a friend from out to me and brought me a set off his E46... I was dumb.

I still have those actually, I need to give those back.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 11:34 PM   #29
Express
Major General
Israel
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.30]
i have put more bubbles in runflats than i have in tinting windows.

but they are still on my car. i love the harsh ride, and everyone else hates them so they are cheap!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 11:36 AM   #30
AYF80
Major
Rep

Where do you get cheap RFT from?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 12:24 PM   #31
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by express705 View Post
runflats- a love/hate thing.

have to admit. my runflats are from 2006. the date on the tires are 3606.

they still have some life! 38,500 and counting.
That's great mileage - did you rotate?

And I assume those are the Continental SSRs rather than the problematic 1st generation Bridgestone EL42s...

Tom
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 04:12 PM   #32
Express
Major General
Israel
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.30]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
That's great mileage - did you rotate?

And I assume those are the Continental SSRs rather than the problematic 1st generation Bridgestone EL42s...

Tom
i have potenzas
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 02:14 PM   #33
R1000K3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCOUPE View Post
+1 Much too soft. I also think I'm kinda going against the whole BMW engineering when I switched to Michelin PS2 Non Runflats. Cost me an arm and a leg but I would switch back to bridgestones' RFT in a heart beat.

How much are coilovers and do they give a similar feel when cornering while having RFT's?
I use Bilstein PSS10 coilovers. The are debated regarding production quality though...They cost about 2400 dollars (1600 EURO) and gives a better feeling on ordinary tyres than RFT's did on stock chassi. Ordinary tyres and coilovers are better in every respect than RFT's on stock chassi. Better grip and better feeling. The comfort can be adjusted by setting rebound and compression to the desired level. Normally it can be tricky to set the compression damping but Bilstein has fixed this so the user only needs to adjust one knob (per damper), which adjust both rebound and compression at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 02:23 PM   #34
ZURICH
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: E91 320d Touring M Sport

Quote:
So I had the original E90 run flat bridgestone tires and despite the hard and bumpy ride which I figured was standard for a sports coupe(my first coupe). So after researching the run flat vs non run flat debate. I decided to get a set of Non run flat Michelin PS2's but overall I'm sorta disappointed in the cornering and general feel of the tires.

Yes the ride is more comfortable but I felt I lost a lot of handling and cornering when I switched from Run flat to non run flat. Like with the bridge stone I felt like my car was glued to the road now it feels like I have a much more softer disconnected feel when cornering and switching lanes.

I know run flats aren't exactly popular on here but did anyone else notice the same differences when switching from RFT to non RFT.
You feel disconnected when "switching lanes" how on earth do manage that?

It should be a smooth seamless change of direction, being in full control of the vehicle at all times, not a mad wrench at the wheel and dive into a slot in the other lane, Chill man, and go with the flow, smoothness is the esssance of good, fast driving, just look at the top F1 Drivers "SMOOTH"

M Sport Package, (PDC), front / rear, Cruise control
Mystic Blue Metallic, Beige Dakota leather, Alarm,
Automatic transmission, Panoramic glass roof, Heated Seats, Lumbar etc etc
"I don't Fuck around but when I do, I dont fuck around"
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 02:37 PM   #35
ZURICH
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: E91 320d Touring M Sport

Quote:
It depends, if you like the glued to the road feeling, increased feel and handling of the car go for run flats.

If you like comfort go for non run flats

That's not to say Non RFT give you a comfortable cruiser sort of ride they do not but they give a substantially softer ride when compared to RFT.
Yes but this IS only a feeling "it is not real" no motor sport cars use runflats, they give you a false sense of security and if pushed to the limit they will without a doubt "BITE YOUR ASS" and keep munching.
Fit standard pneumatic tyres of a good quality learn how they work and talk to you, they will reward you with a great ride and confidence you can rely on.

M Sport Package, (PDC), front / rear, Cruise control
Mystic Blue Metallic, Beige Dakota leather, Alarm,
Automatic transmission, Panoramic glass roof, Heated Seats, Lumbar etc etc
"I don't Fuck around but when I do, I dont fuck around"
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 08:26 PM   #36
David335i08
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i 08

Quote:
So I had the original E90 run flat bridgestone tires and despite the hard and bumpy ride which I figured was standard for a sports coupe(my first coupe). So after researching the run flat vs non run flat debate. I decided to get a set of Non run flat Michelin PS2's but overall I'm sorta disappointed in the cornering and general feel of the tires.

Yes the ride is more comfortable but I felt I lost a lot of handling and cornering when I switched from Run flat to non run flat. Like with the bridge stone I felt like my car was glued to the road now it feels like I have a much more softer disconnected feel when cornering and switching lanes.

I know run flats aren't exactly popular on here but did anyone else notice the same differences when switching from RFT to non RFT.
Im running a michelin ps2 and i feel like my car is going aut of the road in corner
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 09:16 AM   #37
DF
Major
Rep
Drives: F23

Couldnt wait to get rid of the run flats. Horrible ride. Constant side wall bubbles. Got PS2s and never looked back. It rides and handles so much better.
Appreciate 0