E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > Andream Retrofit HeadUnit can’t be pushed back in after installation

09-04-2023, 08:28 PM   #1
Imnotethan
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E93

Andream Retrofit HeadUnit can’t be pushed back in after installation

Hey y’all,

I'm in need of your assistance! I'm currently working on installing an 8.8" ANDREAM Head Unit in my E93, and I've encountered several challenges along the way. These challenges include a stuck trim, issues with the optic cable, difficulties with the Andream USB and Aux coding. I've invested a significant amount of time into this project—approximately 25 hours—and have managed to resolve most of these issues.

However, I'm still facing one particular problem: I can't seem to push the radio head unit all the way back into the car. According to a YouTube tutorial, I needed to cut a part of the Radio Carrier to accommodate all the new adapters and wiring. I followed this advice and initially sawed off the left top corner to create more space for the new wiring loom. However, even after this modification, I still couldn't push the head unit all the way in.

Name:  IMG_3873.jpeg
Views: 180
Size:  42.8 KB

In an attempt to make more room for the new loom, I decided to make additional cuts, but the head unit still won't fit properly.

Name:  IMG_1859.jpeg
Views: 144
Size:  35.0 KB

I've extensively searched through various YouTube tutorials (yes, I've watched them all), but none of them provide clear guidance on how to position the cables to properly fit the head unit. Could someone please assist me in resolving this issue and guide me on how to put the Head unit back please?

The answer that help me resolve my issue shall receive $20 via Venmo.

Last edited by Imnotethan; 09-04-2023 at 08:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2023, 03:02 PM   #2
pmorg4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Touring LCI

I found the best solution was tucking the big connector block to the bottom left of the cage. You need to really push it down there to get it out of the space that the head unit will occupy, it's not easy even after cutting off some of the cage as the wires are quite short, so you need to do it with the head unit very close to the opening.

Make sure you cover the area around the shifter with a towel or something to prevent the head unit from scratching it while you mess around trying to get the wires in.

Either way, it's a pig of a job and you'll probably end up with a few scrapes on your hands, but it can be done. I've done it twice on two separate E91s, and second time around it was only marginally easier!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2023, 06:45 PM   #3
crashoverride
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: na

Not quite sure where you are in the process... But this might assist. In the past people would say... lets say you are trying to make a house key and you don't have the original. key. So they would smear chalk or an easily scratched marker etc... they would shove key in try twisting and then see what part of the paint on the key would be rubbed and disturbed then file that section. This might help you find what little bit is hanging it all up.
Appreciate 0