Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Miss your run flat tires?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

11-15-2011, 03:57 PM   #1
BMWCOUPE
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Miss your run flat tires?

So I had the original E90 run flat bridgestone tires and despite the hard and bumpy ride which I figured was standard for a sports coupe(my first coupe). So after researching the run flat vs non run flat debate. I decided to get a set of Non run flat Michelin PS2's but overall I'm sorta disappointed in the cornering and general feel of the tires.

Yes the ride is more comfortable but I felt I lost a lot of handling and cornering when I switched from Run flat to non run flat. Like with the bridge stone I felt like my car was glued to the road now it feels like I have a much more softer disconnected feel when cornering and switching lanes.

I know run flats aren't exactly popular on here but did anyone else notice the same differences when switching from RFT to non RFT.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 06:42 PM   #2
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Sounds like you are bothered by the different feel on initial turn in due to the non RFT's softer sidewalls. I noticed this when replacing my OEM Goodyear NCT5 RFTs with Conti DWS tires but soon discovered that the traction and cornering ability had not diminished - only the feedback to the driver.

Assuming the overall grip is still acceptable, you can either try increasing the pressures by about 3 psi, or learn to live with it and enjoy the improved ride.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 07:58 PM   #3
x26
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCOUPE View Post
So I had the original E90 run flat bridgestone tires and despite the hard and bumpy ride which I figured was standard for a sports coupe(my first coupe). So after researching the run flat vs non run flat debate. I decided to get a set of Non run flat Michelin PS2's but overall I'm sorta disappointed in the cornering and general feel of the tires.

Yes the ride is more comfortable but I felt I lost a lot of handling and cornering when I switched from Run flat to non run flat. Like with the bridge stone I felt like my car was glued to the road now it feels like I have a much more softer disconnected feel when cornering and switching lanes.

I know run flats aren't exactly popular on here but did anyone else notice the same differences when switching from RFT to non RFT.
Plus 1-- I loved my bridgestone rft's--The Car handled like it was on a Rail--No Play, No Mush, No Squooch...

I put Mich A/S Plus on for winter setup= Rides like a Lexis/Old Luxury Caddy...

Can't wait for summer. Will go with PS2 RFT's!!

I understand the PSS are Sqoochie too!!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 08:04 PM   #4
BMWCOUPE
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x26 View Post
Plus 1-- I loved my bridgestone rft's--The Car handled like it was on a Rail--No Play, No Mush, No Squooch...

I put Mich A/S Plus on for winter setup= Rides like a Lexis/Old Luxury Caddy...

Can't wait for summer. Will go with PS2 RFT's!!

I understand the PSS are Sqoochie too!!
Yea it was my first set of run flat tires ever so I expected that maybe the ride was gonna be reduced to like 15% softer but the difference between RFT and non RFT handling and turn in is night and day. Especially since I was getting the Michelin PS2's I expected max performance from a tire like that but felt that in terms of turn in and overall handling I made a huge downgrade which I think the RFT to Non RFT tires conversion is to blame

I also read a bunch of bad reviews on RFT going bald quickly and if you get a hole in them they are really hard to repair. Despite all that I feel like I lost a part of the BMW experience which was the awesome cornering and handling. Now my ride is much softer and mushier.

Regardless live and learn. I can't wait to go back to those bone breaking, teeth chattering, spine shattering Bridgestone Run flats though!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 08:06 PM   #5
BMWCOUPE
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
Sounds like you are bothered by the different feel on initial turn in due to the non RFT's softer sidewalls. I noticed this when replacing my OEM Goodyear NCT5 RFTs with Conti DWS tires but soon discovered that the traction and cornering ability had not diminished - only the feedback to the driver.

Assuming the overall grip is still acceptable, you can either try increasing the pressures by about 3 psi, or learn to live with it and enjoy the improved ride.

Tom
Thanks for the tip Tom I will try to add some I to harden them up.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 11:31 PM   #6
Gimmethecash
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Comp

I think what you're feeling is the wider tires rolling over a bit more on the sidewalls, assuming you got the same size replacement tires on the same wheels. PSS run wide, and the stock Bridgestone RFT's run narrow.

I don't miss my runflats at all, very happy with the PSS.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 09:42 AM   #7
hubble bubble
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Michelins are known to feel softer than the Bridgestone's but they last longer and handle better in the wet. Michelin PS A/S will be way squishier than either PS2 or stock Bridgestones.

Need new summer tires, waiting until srping, but am going to go for the new Michelin Pilot Super Sport, non run flat. Reviews put them a step ahead of every other performance tire.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 10:55 AM   #8
Kevco
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black Bimmer

Garage List
After replacing my Bridgestone Potenza RE050A runflats with Continental DW non-runflat I felt like I lost 50% of my handling...

I've been driving with this setup for about 1 month now so I'm kinda getting used to it. I'm guessing driving with non-RFT as just improved my driving skills!!! Increasing the tire pressure helped a lot but it's still not the same. I just ordered a BMW Performance Aluminum Strut Brace and can't wait to see the difference.

I really wish I would've spend the extra $1,000 for the Potenza RFT!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 11:19 AM   #9
san6279
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

I'm in the same boat as others here to a degree. Bought a 2007 a little over a year ago with the Bridgestone runflats. I have my winter RFTs on now, but need to get a new set of summer tires before swtiching back in April or so.

For those who like the RFTs, my understanding is the PS2s are considered superior to the Bridgestones. If I do RFTs again, that is probably the route I will go. Have also considered the nonRFT route and the PSS, which are currently not available in RFT I believe. I am curious if Michelin will be coming out with a RFT version of the PSS...only because some reviews say they handle better in the wet...which is high on my list coming from Seattle.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 11:34 AM   #10
wiseweasel
The wisest of weasels!
Rep
Drives: Fast!

I have to disagree... Although there is a turn-in "feeling" difference, the "at-the-limit" handling of the non-runflat Summer performance tires FAR exceed the capabilities of the RFT's that came on our cars. I am currently running Continental ExtremeContact DW and the ride, and handling are MUCH improved. They cost less, handle better, and ride better. AND they can be repaired! I do agree that they need to have a few extra PSI in the tires.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 11:49 AM   #11
Epic404
Epic404
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335I Convertible

I miss my RFT after switching too. The car feels like a parade float compared to how it used to but I'm almost used to it. The roads are really crappy here though and the pot holes break the RFT sidewalls at will, so I'm going to wait until I live in city with better roads before switching back.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 12:03 PM   #12
BMWWW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

What pressures are you folks running?

Squishy/less direct turn-in can be easily solved..

When called an idiot sometimes is better to be quiet than to open mouth and remove all doubt.
Man who walk through airport turnstile sideways going to Bangkok.
--Confucius

Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 12:59 PM   #13
Murph335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 N54 e90, '10 N54 e93, TBSS

Garage List
2015 Tesla P85D  [0.00]
"Miss your run flat tires?"

....As much as I miss the stock tune.
      11-16-2011, 01:07 PM   #14
R1000K3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i MT

The chassi will feel too soft when discarding the runflats. But there is no question the grip is better with common tyres in all situations. To return good steering response you need to stiffen the chassi. The easiest way to do this is to install adjustable coilovers, which is a tripple-win mod. Better handling, road holding and comfort.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 05:12 PM   #15
MazdaFan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i

I am not sure about OEM RFTs, but I was comparing the test results of the new Bridgestone 960 RFT all-seasons and non-RFT summer tires (e.g. Sumitumo HTRZ III, Michellin PSS etc.), non-RFT summer tires are superior in terms of handling, breaking and pulling g-forces. They are head and shoulders above, just go and check the numbers.

As you probably know all tests are performed on BMW328i coupes with square setup, although on different days.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 08:39 PM   #16
wahoo
Bangin' my head against the wall
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Running Hankook Ventus on my new 19s. SLIDE city. Is what it is. Also notice A LOT more spin on take off. I think the heavier wheel and the resulting torque necessary to get them moving is causing them to break loose.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 09:03 PM   #17
Gimmethecash
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoo View Post
Running Hankook Ventus on my new 19s. SLIDE city. Is what it is. Also notice A LOT more spin on take off. I think the heavier wheel and the resulting torque necessary to get them moving is causing them to break loose.
The heavier wheel (with more weight farther away from the center) is working against you spinning under acceleration, because it takes more torque to accelerate their rotation. The supply of torque available hasn't changed.

You're probably seeing more wheelspin due to the reduction of sidewall flex with your shorter sidewalls. Ever noticed how drag cars have huge sidewalls and very low tire pressure (usually single-digit psi)? More rubber touching the ground that way, especially once the power is on.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 09:14 PM   #18
AYF80
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY F80

wow so what you guys are saying it that i should stay with Run Flat?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 10:04 PM   #19
BMWWW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Try upping the tire pressures kiddos.

Not going to recommend anything, but just as an FYI: people that autocross on street tires often pump them up towards 50psi. Obviously that's not for daily driving, but a good way to figure out a compromise would be to attend an autox, and find a friendly fella with a temperature gun to sort out a healthy compromise.

My $0.02

When called an idiot sometimes is better to be quiet than to open mouth and remove all doubt.
Man who walk through airport turnstile sideways going to Bangkok.
--Confucius

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 07:55 PM   #20
BMWCOUPE
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF 335i #1 View Post
wow so what you guys are saying it that i should stay with Run Flat?
It depends, if you like the glued to the road feeling, increased feel and handling of the car go for run flats.

If you like comfort go for non run flats

That's not to say Non RFT give you a comfortable cruiser sort of ride they do not but they give a substantially softer ride when compared to RFT.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 07:57 PM   #21
BMWCOUPE
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1000K3 View Post
The chassi will feel too soft when discarding the runflats. But there is no question the grip is better with common tyres in all situations. To return good steering response you need to stiffen the chassi. The easiest way to do this is to install adjustable coilovers, which is a tripple-win mod. Better handling, road holding and comfort.
+1 Much too soft. I also think I'm kinda going against the whole BMW engineering when I switched to Michelin PS2 Non Runflats. Cost me an arm and a leg but I would switch back to bridgestones' RFT in a heart beat.

How much are coilovers and do they give a similar feel when cornering while having RFT's?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 07:59 PM   #22
BMWCOUPE
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazdaFan View Post
I am not sure about OEM RFTs, but I was comparing the test results of the new Bridgestone 960 RFT all-seasons and non-RFT summer tires (e.g. Sumitumo HTRZ III, Michellin PSS etc.), non-RFT summer tires are superior in terms of handling, breaking and pulling g-forces. They are head and shoulders above, just go and check the numbers.

As you probably know all tests are performed on BMW328i coupes with square setup, although on different days.
Who cares about numbers when it's all about personal preference in the end. I followed the numbers and got a set of tires that I'm not fully satisfied with.

If anyone is debating Non RFT vs RFT I would highly recommend testing both and figuring out which suit your style because in terms of comfort and overall cornering a big difference exists. A difference that you can only figure out by testing a BMW with RFT's and Non RFT's.
Appreciate 0