Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Wheels rubbing. Could use some advice.

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

05-05-2014, 07:04 PM   #23
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
I have 265 PSS' on the rear and I rub over steep bumps and with a full load of teenage VB players. Just got another alignment due to the major pot-hole I hit in MI. I'm having the rear fenders rolled a bit. I would think it is your offset difference that is the cause.

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 09:37 PM   #24
mustangivore
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze739 View Post
My car has a standard sport suspension that comes with the E92 335i but it always seemed alittle lower to me than some other E92s so maybe my car is just different from the norm
It does seem slightly lower than I would expect with OEM sport suspension (ZSP or whatever it's called). My e90 was ZSP sport suspension until I lowered it. I just don't think my 19" wheels would have made my car look that low with ZSP. Almost looks as low as mine with h&r sport. Is it a full finger gap between tire and fender with finger parallel to top of tire? Mine has a little less room than that. In hindsight I would have gotten 225 up front but probably would stick with 265 in rear and roll fender to avoid stretched tire look.

I have your old setup with 19x10 et38 in the rear, running 265/30/19 PSS and I get rubbing only on larger bumps (although annoying enough that I'm rolling the fenders).

I know that I had terrible rubbing after 19" wheels installed but before alignment. Once I did alignment, rubbing went away except on bigger bumps in which suspension really engaged/compressed. Point is I'm lower and have 1mm less room and don't rub nearly as much as it sounds like you do. Hmm
      05-06-2014, 08:08 AM   #25
blaze739
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 2008 335i - AW/CR

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [9.34]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow191 View Post
The tire should be in the same position as the former rim. Actually about 1mm less aggressive. But with the smaller rim, the angle will be less. So if the 265 is slightly stretched on a 10" rim, it will be more vertical on the 9.5". Since the suspension cambers inward through it's motion, less angle could lead to less clearance and rubbing. But the difference should be very minor since the tire is the same.

Check your offsets again, does the wheel sit similarly to the old one? Check to see what it's making contact with, you can usually see marks if you look with a flashlight. I doubt it's alignment issues, it would take a lot of change to go from no rubbing to rubbing everywhere.

It's not likely your springs, they don't sag unless they're broken. Get a pic showing the clearance of tire to wheel from the back so we can see how close it is, that would help. it would help determine actual offset as well.
Here are some shots i took from the back (2 right, 2 left). i still havent measured the offsets to make sure they are actually ET33 but i plan to do that this week. I also tried putting some tape on the fender to see where the rubbing is happening but the tape wouldnt stick on the filthy fender :ashamed0002 i'll try that again this weekend.

it's hard to gauge in the picture but the vertical distance looks like there is plenty of clearance. for reference, i can just get my finger in there if i come up at an angle. my knuckle will touch the tire and fender, but it will pass
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 08:22 AM   #26
shadow191
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 Volvo XC90 R-Design

It looks like there should be plenty of room from those pics. I would check the back edge of the wheel well where it meets the bumper. It's about the closest part to the tire and causes rubbing a lot. I know when I went to a bigger tire, I thought I had rolled the fender enough to clear but that part started rubbing. Took me a little while to figure out since there looked like there was plenty of clearance everywhere.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 08:23 AM   #27
blaze739
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [9.34]
Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz View Post
How are your rear shocks????
i'm not sure how to check but everything feels fine to me. firm resistance when i push down and it pops right back up. i would think the shocks wouldnt have an effect though, only the springs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunFat View Post
It does seem slightly lower than I would expect with OEM sport suspension (ZSP or whatever it's called). My e90 was ZSP sport suspension until I lowered it. I just don't think my 19" wheels would have made my car look that low with ZSP. Almost looks as low as mine with h&r sport. Is it a full finger gap between tire and fender with finger parallel to top of tire? Mine has a little less room than that. In hindsight I would have gotten 225 up front but probably would stick with 265 in rear and roll fender to avoid stretched tire look.

I have your old setup with 19x10 et38 in the rear, running 265/30/19 PSS and I get rubbing only on larger bumps (although annoying enough that I'm rolling the fenders).

I know that I had terrible rubbing after 19" wheels installed but before alignment. Once I did alignment, rubbing went away except on bigger bumps in which suspension really engaged/compressed. Point is I'm lower and have 1mm less room and don't rub nearly as much as it sounds like you do. Hmm
i have exactly 1 finger gap with my finger perpendicular to the top of the tire (fingernail pointing to front or back of car). when i had the old setup, i only had rubbing for a day or two and then it went away. but now i get strong rubbing on any bump at all as long as im going over 20mph. i dont mind rolling the fender but i was hoping to get to the bottom of the issue first since i shouldnt be having it with this setup.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 09:33 PM   #28
mustangivore
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E90

from those last pictures it does look like you have plenty of room. maybe toe is off as suggested earlier. maybe you said this already but i assume there is evident tread wear from the rubbing. maybe put colored chalk on the top and sides of the tires and try to see where it rubs off...

maybe feel under the fender for a bump protruding out, from tire catching...
      05-07-2014, 12:19 PM   #29
blaze739
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [9.34]
i was able to accidentally find the rubbing this morning. i have a steep driveway that lets out into a perpendicular hill. the angle causes my right rear spring to compress and i get rubbing everytime. i got out and took a picture while i was stopped. you can see it starts making contact with the inside lip of the fender where the bumper ends, and continues rubbing until the 11 o'clock position. i was shocked that the spring would compress so much even while i was stopped, but it was definitely making firm contact.

looks like most of you were right. i might be able to address the issue with an alignment, but i might just roll the fender anyway for a little more clearance. thanks again for all the help.
Attached Images

Last edited by blaze739; 05-07-2014 at 02:30 PM..
Appreciate 0