E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > DTC/ABS/4x4 warnings but.... want to bench test

07-03-2019, 01:38 AM   #23
Twinkie93
Twinkie_e92
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 bmw 328 xi e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTinVT View Post
So I got the trifecta and am hoping it's just the battery gone south... battery is 6 years old, and the last one was replaced at 6 years old.

After I first got the trifecta, the next time I drove the car, it didn't come on for 10-15 minutes/4-5 miles; that was a couple months ago so I just parked it. It's been on a battery tender. I tried the car again today and didn't get the lights immediately, but much sooner than the last time I drove the car, just after a mile or so. I think I heard ticking today but I wasn't sure if that was the normal motor ticking, a little louder than usual due to sitting.

Anyway... my question is -

Is it bad for the car, does it damage anything, to drive it in trifecta-lights mode? I assume it just puts the car in solid "you're on your own" RWD mode but it's defeated everything that's already potentially broken, right? I don't intend to drive it much - if at all - only to the shop to get a battery installed and see what happens and take it from there.
So what happened after ur battery? I'm haveing the same issue however it's my only car so I've been driving it like that for a month the car is still the same. But I'm still trying to find the problem.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 10:07 AM   #24
Rockon
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi

So for what it's worth.

Mine was the transfer case.
Here was easy check for me anyway.

Check most likely cause, take the actuator motor off - maybe 15 min job.

Take that apart and 1.) see if you can spin gear by hand, if not motor should be ok, 2.) take it apart and look at worm gear/gears. If all looks ok probably not that.

If not visible issues, stick finger/screw driver in to the hole where gear goes on Transfer Case. There is an arm that actuates with the gear. You shouldn't be able to move it.

In my case, it was flopping around as the clutch packs were basically gone, hence ticking/clicking sound.

TC was not a bad job. Toughest part was removing the rusted/seized exhaust bolts.

$150 for an Actuator or $300 for a TC from salvage yard and a computer recode and good to go so far with about 2,000 miles.
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2019, 10:21 AM   #25
PTinVT
armchair enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 340xi, 02 325Cic, 93 850Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkie93 View Post
So what happened after ur battery? I'm haveing the same issue however it's my only car so I've been driving it like that for a month the car is still the same. But I'm still trying to find the problem.
My car is still parked... haven't even done the battery yet. I'm optimistic that it's the actuator motor, however, since I do hear loud clicking in my garage, just starting the car, not even moving it. I may not get back to this for another month. I don't need to fix this car until snow is looming.

Pretty sure I have a bad battery regardless, since the tender won't get to the green light now (fully charged), I always find it flashing yellow (charging problem).
'71 Buick Riviera, 455 V8 land yacht
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 06:36 PM   #26
Dadonv03
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 bmw 325xi

What's up guys. Ive had issues with ABS, 4x4 a while now on my 2006 bmw 325xi. A month ago i broke an axle when i hit a pothole on the on ramp in beloit heading north on 43. I got new front cardone passenger side cv axle, new abs sensors all the way around new brakes and rotors all the way around. The abs light will not come off and the 4x4 light is still on. The car now shudders on take off and the shuddering slowly goes away. When i pull into my garage i can hear a metal clicking sound coming from under the car. What to do??????
Appreciate 0