E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Crank Seal Plate - No more serpentine belt getting eaten?

07-30-2019, 10:16 AM   #23
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by addictedtoboost View Post
I've replaced all my rollers and tensioner/belts 4 different times now within a months time. New motor mounts, ac compressor, alternator. Hopefully I won't be shredding anymore belts anymore! +1 for crank seal plate it does exactly what it's supposed to do, protect.
Just so you know guys, I'm not against the product. I think it's a great product, especially for those that have what appears to be chronic issues or just want insurance.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 10:32 AM   #24
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
First time the 2" inlets were making contact with the power steering pulley and ate a belt
At the drag strip. Second time my ac compressor seized up making the belt shred. The third time was because when this mechanic had to drop my subframe to do the oil pan gasket job a second time, he didn't bother to double check his work. I found out the cause was the power steering metal line was kinked and moved over making contact with one of the belt/pully. I make sure to keep the front inlet zip tied to the fan shroud so it won't make any sort of contact.
Well see.... 2 variable could have been prevented. Maybe even 3 as preventative maintenance but I agree that would be really really pushing it considering AC compressor is 500$ and can't change pulley alone.

Was it the factory compressor from the looks of it? How many miles?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 10:41 AM   #25
addictedtoboost
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Quote:
First time the 2" inlets were making contact with the power steering pulley and ate a belt
At the drag strip. Second time my ac compressor seized up making the belt shred. The third time was because when this mechanic had to drop my subframe to do the oil pan gasket job a second time, he didn't bother to double check his work. I found out the cause was the power steering metal line was kinked and moved over making contact with one of the belt/pully. I make sure to keep the front inlet zip tied to the fan shroud so it won't make any sort of contact.
Well see.... 2 variable could have been prevented. Maybe even 3 as preventative maintenance but I agree that would be really really pushing it considering AC compressor is 500$ and can't change pulley alone.

Was it the factory compressor from the looks of it? How many miles?
Belt got wrapped around the old one and melted from the friction/heat gummed up good that's the reason why I got one off a parts car. $500 for a new compressor no thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 08:03 AM   #26
streetpro
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: e92 335iA

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by type-dRew View Post
this is how desperate people are to be cheap? really?
It is not about being cheap but not have to remove the pulley and just to slide it in from above... I would insist on stopping any oil leaks in the first place...
      08-02-2019, 10:06 AM   #27
type-dRew
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetpro View Post
It is not about being cheap but not have to remove the pulley and just to slide it in from above... I would insist on stopping any oil leaks in the first place...
front of my engine is bone dry, no leaks. ill still be installing this

and i wont be trying to jb weld a piece of plate steel there instead, just to save removing a pulley
New setup; Covid 19Ts on RFP 93 + ARM inlets, dp, VTT cp and PSP outlets
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 04:25 PM   #28
Rube
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

I bought it, $150 for peace of mind is worth it. I have better things to do than inspect my belt every so often and worry about it taking out my motor.....which I did do and still didn't see shit cause how much of the belt can you actually see?
It wasn't till I actually took off my belt that I noticed damage to the belt and the PS pulley from what I assume was subframe contact.

Quote:
$150 is expensive? I dont think ive ever seen cheaper insurance against an engine replacement

This company is probably not going to sell many of these, mostly due to people being (this)cheap. So I think the price point is just enough for them to break even after a while or potentially make some money. Which is good, because we should be happily supporting companies still worried enough about a 14 year old platform to r&d new helpful parts

People doing preventative maintenance are having new belt kits shred, ill be doing one as extremely cheap insurance against a new motor

this is how desperate people are to be cheap? really?
Appreciate 1
=C=68.50
      08-03-2019, 07:18 AM   #29
cgbimmer
2007 335xi
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi blue

Quote:
again, the issue is happening to people with fresh belts. To the point ive put off installing a new one because im more concerned with shredding when i do that instead of continuing to use my old but not cracked belt

i dont really care to figure out why or how its happening, its enough of an issue that $150 is a drop in the bucket for insurance against a new engine. i have wasted way more than that on stuff that has way less purpose
I would love you to show me a link with a well maintained car where the belts JUST KEEP SHREDDING some how?????

No offence to addictedtoboost or other people but really ziptied piping at dragstrips is not what I would be doing .. I have inlet relocated and just the overflow line running to drivers side ziptied and clamped is enough for me..
Also if you are never going to change your motor mounts or your pulleys spend the 150.00 but I would rather spend it on motor mounts and pulleys ..lol
Lastly if you have no clue how to maintain a car or have SHADE tree mechanic buy one...
I will wait till it hits 75.00 dollars I am cheap
2007 335xi Daw stage 2 old wheel custom 2.25 relocation inlets vrsf alum outlets.Vrsf 5'' stepped intercooler.stage 2 bucket lpfp.BQ tune xhp stage 3 tranny flash.vrsf downpipes modified 3in exhaust.ER charge pipe tial bov.Custom oil cooler..cic retrofit.koni shocks h@r sport spring staggered conti tir
Appreciate 1
      08-21-2019, 12:44 PM   #30
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Few things here,

- How are these simple plates always out of stock
- How is a plate that simple cost $150
- How can the design of an engine be so bad that it can fail catastrophically because you did not / Open your hood every day, Replace an oil gasket, replace the belt, replace the engine mounts, replace the belt tensioner, replace your belt rollers, replace ur steering fluid reservoir (filter)

Thats soo many things an owner has to think about and to top it all of a rip off solution.

So the this is just a shitty situation for the owners. Bad design of the belt system and a bad solution because its always out of stock and its expensive. Taking advantage of peoples fears. The type of business i never wanna do business with.

I highly suggest people try to create their own solutions and stay on top of maintenance to a OCD level because there are just too many things that can go wrong that should not cause a complete engine failure but they do.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 01:22 PM   #31
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rube View Post
I bought it, $150 for peace of mind is worth it. I have better things to do than inspect my belt every so often and worry about it taking out my motor.....which I did do and still didn't see shit cause how much of the belt can you actually see?
It wasn't till I actually took off my belt that I noticed damage to the belt and the PS pulley from what I assume was subframe contact.
Really dude lol. No time to inspect your belt? You don't have to remove it, use something called your finger. Swipe the OFHG seems if there is extra oil.

Swipe the belt and see if it's oil on your finger.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 07:17 PM   #32
addictedtoboost
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I'll probably be heading back to the track this weekend to get as many passes in that I could. Hopefully I'll break into the 10 second club. 😀. My front inlets are still zip tied using HD zip ties. ever since installing crankseal plate Ive been at ease knowing it's there so no more belts will be chewed up. I don't think they're out of stock for the crank seal plate they usually always have some on hand ready to ship out.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 08:42 PM   #33
Rube
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Really dude lol. No time to inspect your belt? You don't have to remove it, use something called your finger. Swipe the OFHG seems if there is extra oil.

Swipe the belt and see if it's oil on your finger.
Really dude....use something called my finger? If you go back and actually read what I wrote very carefully youll see there wasn’t any oil which caused damage to my belt.
you should be the last guy getting on anyone, I’ve read your posts unfortunately...lol
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 08:48 PM   #34
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rube View Post
Really dude....use something called my finger? If you go back and actually read what I wrote very carefully youll see there wasn’t any oil which caused damage to my belt.
you should be the last guy getting on anyone, I’ve read your posts....lol
Well you have an 07 should've known about sub frame hitting the belt and PS bolts backing out.

And what the fuck does that mean you've seen my post? Doesn't change the fact that it's overpriced peace of mind and the only feasibly reason to get it is if your AC compressor shits the bed, as that is the only actual issue someone mentioned in this thread.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 05:03 PM   #35
oilcrankinject
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: nothing

Someone else makes the same thing, saw it on a FB group, $95.

I ran through 5 serp belts before I found the error, PS pump bolts did not have loctite so they vibrated out. One was tight, one was loose, and one was missing. I got new bolts and loctite and my car has been G2G.
Appreciate 2
=C=68.50
      09-10-2019, 06:15 AM   #36
MILLER335I
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 Dinan stage 3 335I

Belt protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtfast View Post

I ran through 5 serp belts before I found the error, PS pump bolts did not have loctite so they vibrated out. One was tight, one was loose, and one was missing. I got new bolts and loctite and my car has been G2G.
Link to FB group? Thanks!
      09-10-2019, 06:46 AM   #37
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtfast View Post

What year is your car if I may ask?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 05:51 AM   #38
schriss
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330e Plugin Hybrid

Does this fit N53? (It's hugely overpriced for a piece of metal, but might consider it)
      10-13-2019, 06:49 PM   #39
96.vincenttran
Rep
Drives: S2000 (looking for 335i)

Anyone else make these yet? I will spend the $150 for peace of mind but it would be even better if I could spent less on a metal plate.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 08:46 PM   #40
addictedtoboost
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96.vincenttran View Post
Anyone else make these yet? I will spend the $150 for peace of mind but it would be even better if I could spent less on a metal plate.
Somebody was selling some on FB for like$95 pretty much very similar design.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 09:59 PM   #41
hidavi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

I shredded a new belt after just two drift events, even with solid mounts. Definitely going to get this as I've gone to through shredded belts in 2 years and haven't had the crank seal breached yet.
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2019, 01:55 AM   #42
Fallenangel123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is DCT

Why do they have 2 different plates, 1 for the 535i N54 and 1 for the 135 / 335i N54? Surely they have the same crank seal fitting?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 02:19 PM   #43
CircularMotion
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: New to the e90!

i think there could be a possibility for a 3d printed > injection molded 2 piece cover that can be installed on that for a decent price.....
      11-13-2019, 07:09 AM   #44
hidavi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Jeremy Irwin on Facebook sold me one he made for $95. Install was easy. Seems fine
Appreciate 1