E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > How do i program a new adaptive headlight module I installed?

04-10-2013, 07:42 AM   #23
pweber84
Banned
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d e91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntzu View Post
My adapitives have failed also in the 330I but am unsure how to tell if left or right module needs replacing. Frustrating!
You can diagnose it if you have OBD usb cable.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 07:53 AM   #24
pweber84
Banned
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuticuti View Post
Yes, i replaced entire driver side headlight assembly with new ballast & new adaptive module (FMR?) which is at the bottom of the headlight. I understand that it needs to be coded & programmed since the new headlight moves to the opposite direction with the passenger side. Will try step A & B this weekend and let you know
Yes exaclty, it has to be coded and all will be fine.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 07:55 AM   #25
Cuticuti
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 355i sedan

Quote:
Yes, i replaced entire driver side headlight assembly with new ballast & new adaptive module (FMR?) which is at the bottom of the headlight. I understand that it needs to be coded & programmed since the new headlight moves to the opposite direction with the passenger side. Will try step A & B this weekend and let you know

I just coded follow the instruction (step A&B) above and it did not work for me.
This was what i did:

Procedure A:

6. after select E89, there was a window that I have to select 3 options: CAS, FRM (can’t remember this), and NFRM. I selected CAS.

8. There was no F3 <choose ECU> available to choose, the screen briefly passed by and gave me the next screen with F4 <process ECU>. Then I can choose F4, it gave me option NFRM in step 9.

I followed all the steps to the end of procedure A.

For Procedure B: I followed all the steps to the end with the exception as step 6 & 8 above. It looked like the ECU got programmed for 30 seconds. But when I tested out the AHL, it did not work for me.

Question is, what else do I need to do? Do I need to program the VIN to the Adaptive module? If so, how do I do it?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 11:22 AM   #26
pweber84
Banned
Germany
Rep

Quote:
I just coded follow the instruction (step A&B) above and it did not work for me.
This was what i did:

Procedure A:

6. after select E89, there was a window that I have to select 3 options: CAS, FRM (can’t remember this), and NFRM. I selected CAS.

8. There was no F3 <choose ECU> available to choose, the screen briefly passed by and gave me the next screen with F4 <process ECU>. Then I can choose F4, it gave me option NFRM in step 9.

I followed all the steps to the end of procedure A.

For Procedure B: I followed all the steps to the end with the exception as step 6 & 8 above. It looked like the ECU got programmed for 30 seconds. But when I tested out the AHL, it did not work for me.

Question is, what else do I need to do? Do I need to program the VIN to the Adaptive module? If so, how do I do it?
You don't need to program VIN, you have to reset this module and should be fine.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 11:26 AM   #27
Cuticuti
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ******84 View Post
You don't need to program VIN, you have to reset this module and should be fine.
So how do i reset this module? I believe i already recoded this module twice.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 11:27 AM   #28
pweber84
Banned
Germany
Rep

Quote:
So how do i reset this module? I believe i already recoded this module twice.
Did you check codes in INPA?

And how did you recode your module?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 12:40 PM   #29
Cuticuti
Private
Rep

Quote:

I thought running through step A&B above = recode the module ???

I will try to run inpa tonight to read code. Are there any specific steps to read the AHL code? I can read Status under Karosserie and that's all i know

Last edited by Cuticuti; 04-23-2013 at 01:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 05:12 PM   #30
Cuticuti
Private
Rep

Quote:

What profile i should use to recode the ahl module: Default, EXPERT MAN, Revtor's NCS Expert Profile, and Expertenmodus ?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 07:44 PM   #31
Cuticuti
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yEBMW View Post
Is it absolutely necessary to use tool32 to write the vin to the frm2 and I guess the ahl modules? I think this may be the step I have missed. I didn't bother with tool32 because I couldn't get it to work. Every time I would enter my vin I would get an error. Now that I think about it, if the vin is, say missing a character will I get an error? That could have been my problem. Can you give me steps on using tool 32? Is there a specific daten file I should use? I was using v45 for e89. I have a 2006 e90 325i pre-lci with halogens and I retrofitted ahl euro lci xenons.

Edit: I did use winkfp first to update the software on the frm2 and change the vin and that did workout fine just not tool32.

Could you write the steps that you use winkfp to update the software on the frm2 and change the vin ? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 02:41 AM   #32
pweber84
Banned
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Could you write the steps that you use winkfp to update the software on the frm2 and change the vin ? Thanks
In FRM you will change VIN only with Tool32.
You can program NFRM using WINKFP also.

To recode your module you should use EXPERTMODUS.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2014, 02:32 PM   #33
big_c
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 AW 335i Step

Can anyone else weigh in on what I will need to do when installing a used adaptive module to my car?

I had the notorious condensation issue which caused a bunch of water at the bottom of the headlight...I pulled the module off and its full of water and a broken pin and corrosion. Cleaned up the plug and am looking at used modules on ebay.

If I get the same part number- will I just need to reset the module? Any step by step?

i have the inpa cable on the way and am about to buy the used module

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2014, 10:35 PM   #34
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

I'd also like to know how to write the vin to the adaptive modules. I have 1 new and 1 used module.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 10:47 AM   #35
big_c
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 AW 335i Step

Want to sell one to me if its passenger side?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 06:29 PM   #36
daf290
Doug
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 650

Garage List
2007 650  [0.00]
Recode Adaptive module

I also have an adaptive headlight error and have been following this chain.

Does anyone know how to reset/recode the adaptive headlights??

I don't see that anyone answered how to recode the headlight modules?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 05:48 AM   #37
cryptomit
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320d 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by daf290 View Post
I also have an adaptive headlight error and have been following this chain.

Does anyone know how to reset/recode the adaptive headlights??

I don't see that anyone answered how to recode the headlight modules?
Hi, use NCSexpert, select RSCM and LSCM and slecet SG_CODIEREN and EXECUTE JOB. Remember to use Expertmode profile. If you need a software just let me know, I will provide you all you need.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 07:57 AM   #38
takrdown
Other car was a submarine
Rep
Drives: i4M50 (waiting), 2013 R56 JCW

Do you need to do this if you are only replacing the ballast at the bottom of the headlight? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 01:07 AM   #39
kuruptpostaboi
Registered
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptomit View Post
Hi, use NCSexpert, select RSCM and LSCM and slecet SG_CODIEREN and EXECUTE JOB. Remember to use Expertmode profile. If you need a software just let me know, I will provide you all you need.
I've been following this thread and I think that you may have finally answered how to code the AHL/SMC module? I just purchased a new left side SMC module for my left side headlight because my adaptives are not working. Few questions...
1) By executing this job you posted above, will it finally fix my adaptive headlight issue? (As in will it be programmed to the car?)

2) Do i need to have coded the car before i actually go ahead and do this?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 12:04 AM   #40
razorback5
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuruptpostaboi View Post
I've been following this thread and I think that you may have finally answered how to code the AHL/SMC module? I just purchased a new left side SMC module for my left side headlight because my adaptives are not working. Few questions...
1) By executing this job you posted above, will it finally fix my adaptive headlight issue? (As in will it be programmed to the car?)

2) Do i need to have coded the car before i actually go ahead and do this?
Did this work for you?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 04:25 PM   #41
razorback5
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptomit View Post
FYI-This doesn't work, so don't waste your time like I did trying it.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 10:31 PM   #42
razorback5
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorback5 View Post
FYI-This doesn't work, so don't waste your time like I did trying it.
I'm going to retract my statement above...it does seem to work.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2014, 03:38 AM   #43
cryptomit
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320d 2012

Of course it does, I did it many times
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 04:42 PM   #44
tinnsoldaten
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: e92 335i coupe

Maybe this is where I can get answer for my little mystery.
I have had water into my headlight and fried both modules inside , the ballast and the adaptive. I split my headlight unit and cleaned it inside and put back together. I bought some used adaptive module and ballast and new bulbs. After all installed , I got dipped beam right side error, no light from headlight , all other lights work on that side.

Today I swapped both modules over to the left side and visa versa to verify that module or bulb is not working. I put ignition on and my right side transfered to left side ballast was making a buzzing noise, I dont know if ballst just connected by wires and not fasten by screws could be damaging but anyway , I got both lef and right dipped beam error and light module failure , the one with car on lift symbol.

Now what ?

I have light working on right side again after switch , but in idrive the dipped beam error is on and off , like it got bad connection.
Vargas S2 turbos|VAC S3 Cylinder head|RR DPs|RR MPs|Supersprint X pipe|Remus Quad Sport mufflers|aFe Stage 2 Si with scoops|Forge DVs|ER CP|BMS meth elbow|Aquamist HFS-4|Walbro 450 E85 LPFP|AA FMIC|BMS OCC|MHD|P3 Boost Gauge|Ohlins Road & Track + camberplates|M3 sways F/R+ Ground control endlinks|Vorsteiner v303 19"|Michelin PS2 sport|Quaife LSD|Vorsteiner V35 CF hood|CF CLS trunk|Duke Dynamics quad diffusor
Appreciate 0