E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Which way do I press in the E90 Wheel bearing (F A G)?

07-19-2018, 06:20 PM   #1
ElevenEleven
Rep
Drives: 2009 328xi

Which way do I press in the E90 Wheel bearing (F A G)?

I bought a pair of front wheel bearings for the E90, but I want to make sure I put it in the right way. Should the lettering on the inner race face out? (it would be the last thing to enter the hub).

This is the bearing:
https://www.bavauto.com/bmw-wheel-bearing-805621
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 07:41 PM   #2
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

If you look closely you will notice the humps on the magnetic strip (black seal looking like in photo above) Usually is the side with lettering so it goes in first in order to work with the abs sensor.
Appreciate 3
      07-20-2018, 01:03 PM   #3
ElevenEleven
Rep

Feuer -- Thanks, that makes sense. That also means the black stripe section, which has a slightly smaller diameter, will go in first, which will help with alignment. That's the answer I wanted.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 11:10 AM   #4
ElevenEleven
Rep

I took a look at the new bearings, and they have the same bumps on the dust seals on both sides, and a small paper clip doesn't show any magnetism on either side (it is a steel paper clip. I checked it against an actual magnet, and it was attracted).

Name:  image1.jpeg
Views: 3791
Size:  180.5 KB

Name:  image2.jpeg
Views: 3581
Size:  155.9 KB

The bearings that Bavauto sent are F A G 805621, which seems to be the same part number that everyone sells for my 2009 328i xDrive. The car has ABS sensors. I checked both of the new F A G bearings, and neither one showed magnetism on either side.

Before I started this thread, I called Bavauto and spoke to their Tech Info Center. They put me on hold, and then I was told to put them in with the Part Number facing out. When I pushed him about this (he's telling me to put the smaller diameter, black stripe in last), he said he wasn't positive.

I still think the black stripe needs to go in first, but I'd feel a lot better about it if someone can confirm this. I'd also like to hear that the magnetism is not possible to detect with a paper clip, or some other explanation for why I don't detect magnets, but that these bearings are not going to light up my ABS light.

I'm putting these in now, so a quick reply would be great.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 07:56 PM   #5
upshift_downshift
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BSM 07 E90 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElevenEleven View Post
I bought a pair of front wheel bearings for the E90, but I want to make sure I put it in the right way. Should the lettering on the inner race face out? (it would be the last thing to enter the hub
The Bentley manual states that there should be one side that has a large chamfer, and that side should be pressed in first. The manual also suggests coating half the length of the bearing with Loctite 638, which is a press fit retaining compound.
      07-25-2018, 09:14 PM   #6
ElevenEleven
Rep

Thanks for the info Upshift_Downshift, I saw that too. I decided that the bearings stay put well enough, and I didn't need to glue them in. And the chamfer statement is also right.

I got in touch with Schaeffler Ltd., who own F A G, and a technical adviser wrote back that the end with the smaller diameter/black stripe/chamfer is supposed to be pressed in first, which makes good sense.

I was worried about messing up the ABS wheel speed sensing by installing a bearing that doesn't hold a paper clip. He said,
"Yes there is an encoder in this bearing, but not the conventional magnetic type."

Then I noticed that there is a reluctor ring (or tone ring) under my ABS sensor on this 328i. Why would I also need an encoder in the bearing? Here's what it looks like: http://www.apecbraking.co.uk/Resourc...S-Sensors.aspx

The adviser wrote that this bearing does have an encoder in it, even though this 328i doesn't use it, because this bearing is used in many different applications, some needing the encoder.

It all eventually made sense.

I had the bearing pressed in yesterday, and it works fine, unfortunately it had no effect on the womp womp noise I'm trying to get rid of. Tires are next.
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2018, 10:56 PM   #7
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Womp womp? Why you didn't rotate the tires first?
Appreciate 2
      07-27-2018, 09:31 AM   #8
ElevenEleven
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
Womp womp? Why you didn't rotate the tires first?
Thanks, that's what I did. I rotated the tires first thing, before buying bearings, and it still sounded the same. They've been rotated before, and it's possible they all are generating noise. What I was saying here, is that I'm buying 4 new rims and new tires next.

I've got another thread going that's focused on the womp womp womp growling,
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1510742
Appreciate 0