E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Bilstein B8

03-18-2014, 10:18 AM   #1
D's Bimmer
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340 Xi

Bilstein B8

Is anyone running Bilstein B8 dampers on their e90? I am curious to see what springs you are paring with them? Ihave the B12 Pro Kit but I am not sure I am totally in love with certain aspects of the ride at time. The is definitely stiffer(Wondering if that is more to do with the springs). On rough roads it can be rather bouncy at times as well. The at times it is as smooth as butter. I am wondering if it has to do with the fact that the Eibach springs in this kit are a special linear design?

Wondering if there are more effective springs out there to pair with the B8 dampers?

Last edited by D's Bimmer; 03-18-2014 at 10:31 AM..
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2014, 12:29 PM   #2
solishe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 Spc Grey Met e90 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by D's Bimmer
Is anyone running Bilstein B8 dampers on their e90? I am curious to see what springs you are paring with them? Ihave the B12 Pro Kit but I am not sure I am totally in love with certain aspects of the ride at time. The is definitely stiffer(Wondering if that is more to do with the springs). On rough roads it can be rather bouncy at times as well. The at times it is as smooth as butter. I am wondering if it has to do with the fact that the Eibach springs in this kit are a special linear design?

Wondering if there are more effective springs out there to pair with the B8 dampers?
I had them paired with PS linear springs and I had same sensations as you. Great at small bumps and solid in rear. But at high compression rate the dampers felt they performed great on compression but the rebound settings were too low and it felt really bouncy. I attributed it to the relatively higher PS spring rates vs the eibachs. I think the B8s are great at some things and would have been superb with adjustment settings.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 12:46 PM   #3
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

I'm using B8 to replace the shock in my 335 with sport suspension.
I think it's the springs. No issues with the sport suspension springs.
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters, Spoiler, Mirror Covers\LED Tails\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex Square SM10-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 & Galaxy Tab\M-Performance Brakes\Cobb Tuned\xHP Flash\Resonator Removed and -> is your friend.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 01:15 PM   #4
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz View Post
I'm pretty sure you're supposed to be running B6 shocks/struts with stock sport springs, not B8's...
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2014, 10:20 PM   #5
jjellyneck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by D's Bimmer View Post

I was hoping you'd love the B12 kit. I believe those spring rates are not very high.

Last edited by jjellyneck; 03-19-2014 at 11:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 11:24 PM   #6
D's Bimmer
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340 Xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjellyneck View Post
I was hoping you'd love the B12 kit. I believe those spring rates are not very high.
I haven't given up on the B12 kit yet! I spoke with Stan at Bilstein USA earlier this afternoon. I am taking my car in to one of their preferred install shops here in Toronto tomorrow to let them have a look to make sure everything is order.

I am very hapy with this setup 90% of the time. The challenge I have is a lower speads over unsettled road condtions, the car seems to bounce a little too much for my taste. Now this will also be alleviated when I put my summer Michelin PSS's on and ditch the winter run-flats.

I will update again soon.
      03-20-2014, 01:08 PM   #7
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

there is a speed dependence with the bilstein dampers, this has to do with the digressive valve design. high frequency or high impact hits will allow oil to blow through the valve easily. but when the freqency is slower or the hit is not as hard, oil cannot pass as easily. hence rough road at lower speeds tends to feel rougher. solution: go fast!
Appreciate 1
Thorin117.50
      03-20-2014, 02:24 PM   #8
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
I'm pretty sure you're supposed to be running B6 shocks/struts with stock sport springs, not B8's...
Nope B8.

http://www.bilsteinus.com/products/p...passenger-car/
"High-performance shock absorbers and struts designed specifically for lowering springs and production sport vehicle"

B6 is just a heavy duty shock. The B8 is for lowered vehicles.
Sport suspension is a lowered vehicle.
The B6 is for the standard suspension shock replacement.
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters, Spoiler, Mirror Covers\LED Tails\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex Square SM10-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 & Galaxy Tab\M-Performance Brakes\Cobb Tuned\xHP Flash\Resonator Removed and -> is your friend.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 02:33 PM   #9
djkevinnn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i FBO

What about their B4s with stock sport springs? I see these are new on ECS and i do need new front shocks.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 04:27 PM   #10
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Nope B8.

http://www.bilsteinus.com/products/p...passenger-car/
"High-performance shock absorbers and struts designed specifically for lowering springs and production sport vehicle"

B6 is just a heavy duty shock. The B8 is for lowered vehicles.
Sport suspension is a lowered vehicle.
The B6 is for the standard suspension shock replacement.
Hmm....Turner advises differently:
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-17...-set-of-4.aspx

Would be interesting to see why that is. From what I understand, the B8 is valved the same, it's just shorter.

What you quoted from Bilstein was a generic statement not meant for E9x's, or any BMWs for that matter, specifically.

EDIT: Here's some more info; B8 seems to be for M-Sport only:
http://cart.bilsteinus.com/search/mm.../drivetype=RWD

You might want to do some more research before you buy the wrong stuff...

Last edited by FCobra94; 03-20-2014 at 04:40 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2014, 05:10 PM   #11
geost
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M Sport

Quote:

Would be interesting to see why that is. From what I understand, the B8 is valved the same, it's just shorter.

What you quoted from Bilstein was a generic statement not meant for E9x's, or any BMWs for that matter, specifically.

Just to clarify because I'm also thinking of getting Bilstein shocks. B6 are for people what have both factory OEM sports suspension and non-sport suspension that have not been lowered or modified in any way (aftermarket springs) correct?

Whereas B8 are for those that DO have some type of aftermarket springs like Eibach or similar right?

I have an M-Sport suspension (which is the same as sports suspension I guess) so that means I'd be looking at the B6 shocks and not B8 since I do NOT have any kind of aftermarket springs?

I see the description on the B8 says it's for "M-Technics Sport Suspension" which means what? M-Sport suspension? Man, all this seems kind a little confusing. Seems like based on Turner's site, I should be getting B6 and not B8.
      03-20-2014, 05:15 PM   #12
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Yeah, it sounds like you'd probably need the B6s since your car is as it was delivered from the factory. Check with some of the vendors on here and see what they suggest though.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 06:58 PM   #13
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

I investigated this with several sources that sell Bilstein as well as Bilstein directly when I was looking to buy mine:

Stock BMW Non-sport springs: Bilstein B6
Stock BMW Sport springs: Bilstein B6
Aftermarket lowering springs (eibach, H&R, etc) : Bilstein B8
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2014, 11:44 PM   #14
geost
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M Sport

Great info to know, thanks fellas!
      03-21-2014, 01:06 PM   #15
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Not wrong, just not Turner's choice.

He might do some resaearch and find the B8 is for him, like I did.
Turner might like the B6 and recommend it as a stock replacement for sport suspension cars. Others do not. YMMV.

Sport is M-Sport suspension. Depending on the year of the car the name was changed and cosmetics were added to go with the shocks. There isn't any suspension difference between a car made in early 2008 with Sport and later cars with M-Sport.

I have used B8 shocks on my previous M cars as a replacement for stock.
I drove the hell out of the cars and liked the ride. Once again YMMV.

I happen to like the ride of the B8 on my e90 with the factory Sport springs. Again YMMV.

Based on questions I asked and reasearch I did, the answer I got was B8.
The B6 and B8 have the same rates but the B8 is shorter.

From Bilstein:
B8 vs B6
The BILSTEIN B6 Sport is a mono-tube gas pressure shock absorber designed to dampen wide-ranging vibrations very precisely. Where an oil shock absorber produces an oily foam and creates a spongy driving feeling after a very short distance, the BILSTEIN B6 Sport remains constant, precise and stable. The BILSTEIN B8 Sprint is a mono-tube gas pressure shock absorber specifically designed to be used with lowered vehicles with shorter stroke. It also offers the same advantages as the BILSTEIN B6 Sport shock absorbe

Down to which lowering level can I go with BILSTEIN B6 sports shock absorbers (not shortened) in conjunction with shorter springs?
Down to 30mm. That is what is typically offered for new vehicles straight from the factory. Any lower and a shock absorber with a shortened stroke has to be fitted, so that the spring tension - which ensures the required distance between the car body and the wheel - is maintained, whatever the driving situation. Otherwise the spring may slip out of its fitting and the vehicle will abruptly go out of control.

Once again YMMV.
Appreciate 1
      08-19-2016, 04:00 AM   #16
Theador
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 M Sport 335i

Has anyone got the product numbers for front and rear B8s for a my2007 e91 335i RHD M-Sport?

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 10:30 AM   #17
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theador View Post
Has anyone got the product numbers for front and rear B8s for a my2007 e91 335i RHD M-Sport?
We can help.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 12:17 PM   #18
Gohan335i7
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2010 335i  [10.00]
Jeff can help!!! Listen!! 🤘🙃🤘
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 02:27 PM   #19
larrysing
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport, Nav/Blinds

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
I have B8 on my 2011 335d m sport and they are great.

Tire Rack actually puts in their description of the B8 for this car:

Bilstein
B8 (SP) Strut
Performance Street, Autocross/Track
Rear
Housing: Shock Housing
Non Adjustable
Manufacturer Part #: 24-120425
Note: Rear Fitment (Sport Series) For models with M-Technics Sport Suspension.

Bilstein
B8 (SP) Strut
Front Right
Housing: Strut Housing
Non Adjustable
Manufacturer Part #: 35-120414
Note: Front Right fitment. (Sport Series) For models with M-Technics Sport Suspension

Bilstein
B8 (SP) Strut
Front Left
Housing: Strut Housing
Non Adjustable
Manufacturer Part #: 35-120407
Note: Front Left fitment. (Sport Series) For models with M-Technics Sport Suspension
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 04:55 PM   #20
Theador
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 M Sport 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
We can help.
Thanks Jeff. I'm in the UK though so postage may be an issue

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 12:57 PM   #21
andreu12qw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 335i MSport

Quote:

Techwhiz,

I have a set of Bilstein B8's and am contemplating whether or not to add the eibachs with them or throw the Msport springs on there. Do you ever regret not going with a lowering spring? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 01:58 PM   #22
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118i, 335i and 328i

I think some people get different info from the US bilstien site vs Bilstien Europe. I contacted the in the original language and they told me B4 for non sport Oem replacement. B6 is the equivalent for replacement of Msport/sport suspension and B8 is for the replacement of the BMW Performance setup. I asked directly because I wanted the recommended dampers for my Oem BMW performance springs on my E87. Bottom line, B8 with the performance springs are an amazing combo.
2009 335i Saphire Black M Sport "Leopold" Cobb stage 2 aggressive tune, Mishimoto FMIC, Cobb charge pipe, Cobb catted down pipes, Forge diverter valves, BMS inlets and DCI, Cyba scoops and M Individual Audio retrofit and M3 gauge cluster retrofit.
2011 328i Titan Silver M Sport "Franzel" <--Wife's car
Appreciate 0