E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 330d Crankcase breather filter missing?

06-09-2014, 02:36 PM   #1
mayhs
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW E90 330d M-Sport

330d Crankcase breather filter missing?

Last week I decided to change my air filter after buying a 2006 e90 330d Msport with swirl flaps removed and 60k on the clock. While I was there with all the covers off I decided to check the breather filter.

The cars running great and the egr was pretty clean too so I'm pretty confident the cars been looked after...

Took the breather filter cover off but there wasn't a filter in there nor the vortex type that people say to replace it with. I checked realoem but the diagram they had doesn't show a filter so bit confused whether or not this is something the previous owner left out for a particular reason or wasn't on the car to start with? Also is it OK to run the car without a filter or not, as I'm not sure how long there hasn't been a filter in there?

Last edited by mayhs; 06-09-2014 at 02:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 04:14 PM   #2
oldbilly
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330d e91 M Sport

IIRC the m57 breather is just a plastic cover with a rubber diafram, no filter.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 05:04 PM   #3
tmarshall57
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 530d M Sport, E87 118d M

Garage List
Yes it is. There is no filter in the traditional sense. I believe that the oil separation work on the vortex (Dyson) principle.
F10 530d M Sport, September 2012 Individual Amazonite Silver, Oyster Dakota Leather, Auto, Nav Pro, Bluetooth + USB Devices, Expanded BMW Online, Comfort Seats, Sunroof, Sun Protection Glass Individual Satin Walnut Honey Brown Trim Interior Inside/Outside Mirror with folding and autodip, M Rear Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 12:14 PM   #4
mayhs
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Yeah when I opened mine there was just the rubber diaphragm but no filter. I don't think there was the vortex separator though, just an empty space...
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 01:05 PM   #5
Taffy_g
Rep
Drives: E91 325D

literally opened my breather case up yesterday....

same here... nothing inside... no vortex or filter.

as i had bought the filter on the advice of a friend, and thought, oh shit... theres not one in here.... i fitted it.!

i assume this isnt going to be detrimental to the engine????

just something so service again?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 01:51 PM   #6
Snappy russ
Rep
Drives: E91 msport

Be interested in people's views as mine has not filter and wondered if I should fit one????
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 02:32 PM   #7
mayhs
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffy_g View Post
literally opened my breather case up yesterday....

same here... nothing inside... no vortex or filter.

as i had bought the filter on the advice of a friend, and thought, oh shit... theres not one in here.... i fitted it.!

i assume this isnt going to be detrimental to the engine????

just something so service again?
Is there any change with the filter in? I wouldn't expect any but just wondering if I should take it all apart again just to fit a filter....
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 02:10 PM   #8
oldbilly
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330d e91 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhs View Post
Is there any change with the filter in? I wouldn't expect any but just wondering if I should take it all apart again just to fit a filter....

I don't think it has filter, mine doesn't have one and I cant see a reason to fit a filter as over time it will block, the whole idea is to allow a free flow of crankcase pressure to dissipate through the breather system.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 02:25 PM   #9
Taffy_g
Rep
Drives: E91 325D

cant notice any change!

tbh.... the air filter is the big slag to get to...

and changing the breather each time i do that wont be much hassle!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 01:32 PM   #10
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Sorry to bring this thread back to life.
I have similar one to OP.
And being impatient I have already bought one which is sitting on my table. It has rubber diaphragm.
Should I change my old one (similar to new one) or get rid of new one on fleabay.
      11-03-2014, 02:45 PM   #11
chriz1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320d?

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
And being impatient I have already bought one which is sitting on my table. It has rubber diaphragm.
Should I change my old one (similar to new one) or get rid of new one on fleabay.
Rubber diaphragm with a spring? Same as mine so this must be all it is, can't see what needs to be replaced though asking as the rubber hasn't perished shouldn't have to replace
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 02:47 PM   #12
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriz1
Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Rubber diaphragm with a spring? Same as mine so this must be all it is, can't see what needs to be replaced though asking as the rubber hasn't perished shouldn't have to replace
Yes
Dark reddish colour rubber.
Can this be clogged?
      11-07-2014, 10:40 AM   #13
ade146
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d sport auto

Yes thats right all the stuff on the internet about ccv but on the e90 3.0d it is empty apart from the valve itself.

I had highish oil consumption so put a vortex pot in it like the 5 series. It did make a difference and I see it as a success. I also changed the ccv just in case but when I took this apart I can tell you it is not employed in the e90. Why it is there is a mystery. The answer is dont bother changing the ccv as it cannot make a difference. It is always open in this application. If you want to put a vortex or filter it would depend on what if anything you are trying to solve.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 12:16 PM   #14
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ade146 View Post
Yes thats right all the stuff on the internet about ccv but on the e90 3.0d it is empty apart from the valve itself.

I had highish oil consumption so put a vortex pot in it like the 5 series. It did make a difference and I see it as a success. I also changed the ccv just in case but when I took this apart I can tell you it is not employed in the e90. Why it is there is a mystery. The answer is dont bother changing the ccv as it cannot make a difference. It is always open in this application. If you want to put a vortex or filter it would depend on what if anything you are trying to solve.
No black smoke. Oil consumption is nil.

So, decision is to sell it now
      11-13-2014, 11:25 AM   #15
ade146
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

If you do change your ccv take the lid off the old one and you will see the valve cannot work in the e90. It needs vac to the nipple to work. This isnt employed in this application. The ccv box does zip. As I said I put a vortex in my empty box and there is a PUMA available in french regarding this , to solve oil consumption problems. Otherwise its hard to see changing the ccv box would achieve anything. Yes sell it now before something breaks !
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 01:31 PM   #16
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ade146 View Post
If you do change your ccv take the lid off the old one and you will see the valve cannot work in the e90. It needs vac to the nipple to work. This isnt employed in this application. The ccv box does zip. As I said I put a vortex in my empty box and there is a PUMA available in french regarding this , to solve oil consumption problems. Otherwise its hard to see changing the ccv box would achieve anything. Yes sell it now before something breaks !
Funny you saying it, as I ended up changing mine. I will do a bit of surgery on old one when I get time.
      11-19-2014, 08:08 AM   #17
jackstrath
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 16' F31 340i & 03' Focus RS

Just a bit of info for some people that might be of use

Iv came from the e53 x5 side of things, now the foam filter was a big issue for blocking up and then giving your turbo a hard time , fix for this was to fit the mentioned rubber diaphragm filter with the new housing , but just before I sold my x5 there was a topic put up about how Bmw had aparently issued a memo saying to remove the filter (rubber one) completely !

There was no confirmation of this (or there might of been but I never looked back into it) but I just thought id mention as it might reassure some people
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 09:53 AM   #18
ade146
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Not exactly.
The loo roll foam ones could block if not changed. They brought out a vortex insert instead. In the e90 as I said none of these were fitted. The rubber diaphragm does nothing in these cars but it is fitted in all applications.
Appreciate 0