E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Reseting brake pad warning light

09-07-2019, 05:32 AM   #1
markob
Private
Rep
Drives: e90

Reseting brake pad warning light

I changed brake pads earlier than the brake pads sensors were activated so i didnt have any brake warning light on dash and the sensors wasnt activated at all.

Couse i thinked that service interval for brake pads sensors needed to be reset i try to reset it in Delphi program but there i did mistake, the program asked me to entering brake pad thickens in millimetres and i enter 13mm what is the thicknes of new brake pad but it seem that with that enter i did mistake and now different testers show that i need to replace sensors couse they are activated and warning light for brakes is on dash and cant be deleted.

So if i go to delphi again to try enter different mm ticknes i dont get the same menu and i cant put any new mm data into it, delphi now only show reset option but when i reset i get message that sensors are probably broken/activated and i need to reset them.

Can i resolve problem in inpa or istad or what to do? Is this problem something about how many times you can enter correction and i exceded it?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 06:29 AM   #2
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by markob View Post
I changed brake pads earlier than the brake pads sensors were activated so i didnt have any brake warning light on dash and the sensors wasnt activated at all.

Couse i thinked that service interval for brake pads sensors needed to be reset i try to reset it in Delphi program but there i did mistake, the program asked me to entering brake pad thickens in millimetres and i enter 13mm what is the thicknes of new brake pad but it seem that with that enter i did mistake and now different testers show that i need to replace sensors couse they are activated and warning light for brakes is on dash and cant be deleted.

So if i go to delphi again to try enter different mm ticknes i dont get the same menu and i cant put any new mm data into it, delphi now only show reset option but when i reset i get message that sensors are probably broken/activated and i need to reset them.

Can i resolve problem in inpa or istad or what to do? Is this problem something about how many times you can enter correction and i exceded it?
Reset them through your dash.

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 09:01 AM   #3
markob
Private
Rep

it wont be reset trough my dash, i get trough procedure and at the end it shows clock icon and thats it.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 05:31 PM   #4
Simoniak
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

Do You try to do it with ISTA+ via Service Function?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 06:55 PM   #5
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Wear Sensor Broke?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 12:36 AM   #6
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Here is my understanding related to Brake Pad Wear Sensors, from prior posts on this subject (NOT by my own measurements of resistance of new vs. half-worn sensors). The Pad Wear Sensor has virtually NO resistance when new (Stage 1), drops to ~ 470 Ohms resistance when worn half-way (Stage 2) to the 3mm minimum thickness point, and goes "open-circuit" (Stage 3 which sets warning light) when it wears to ~ 3mm thickness.

This TIS schematic shows symbols for wires within the sensor which suggest such a design:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...system/rDCfB4e

According to the person who did such resistance measurements, if you try to re-use a sensor that is at stage 2 (~470 Ohms resistance) and attempt to do the CBS reset, you will NOT be able to reset and will still get warning light, UNLESS you insert a jumper in the Wear Sensor Connector to give essentially NO resistance to the Control Unit, and THEN reset CBS. NOW, after successful CBS Reset, with ignition OFF, remove the jumper and attach the Old, Half-worn Sensor.

Given that (1) TIS states re-using a worn sensor in a new pad may result in sensor dislodging; (2) use of an old sensor prevents the Control Unit from properly computing pad life; (3) the hassle of playing with the system and jumper; (4) the fact that a new sensor only costs ~ $12; (5) the fact that you'll probably get 60,000+ miles from the new pads (well YOU do the Math ;-) ALL suggest one should simply get new sensors when replacing the pads.

IF you insist on going cheap, just put jumpers in the Connectors for the Wear Sensors in the Front-Left & Right-Rear wheel wells, and check your pad thickness periodically (go sensorless/ senseless ;-). People drove cars that way for YEARS before all the electronics, and you'll probably need new rotors every two pad changes anyway -- the grinding noise will tell you to change your pads.

George
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 02:53 AM   #7
markob
Private
Rep

No i think we didnt understaind each other.

I changed brake pads before maximum wear was reached and so sensors wasnt activated and there everything work fine for 1000km after o changed brake pads but than i was thinking that i need to reset brakepad interval on computer to get a whole scale before i get warning light again and in my knowlage sensors get activated only when they touch brake disc and are phisicaly activated becouse brake disc worn them.

So instead of reseting brake interval trough the dash i was thinking why dont i use software and there i did mistake couse delphi asked me in reset section what is thicknes of brake pads, i think i had 2 choises 1-3mm or 8-13 and i type in 13mm and than i hit enter and from there on i get warning light and i can get the same menu in delphi anymore only reset without puting new mm in it. And i did the same mistake for oil change interval so i got two warning light now on dash brake pads and service engine. And now in brake pad reseting service i get delphi message that available correction factor to next interval is 255% so i think that this
over scale. Mechanics always reset trough dashboard and its ok. I think that i put false input data in brake modul and that i need to reset module or something couse brakepad sensors dosent have itselfe "brains" to be programed and so they cant be reason for false signals.

I activated those warning lights

Last edited by markob; 10-02-2019 at 03:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 03:49 AM   #8
markob
Private
Rep

here is the picture, i dont have red symbol couse its never been activated by the brake pad wear sensors physically.

And becouse i did that reset in delphi program that i mentioned before i cannot reset interval, its shown as it has no data about kilometres in the middle of the screen, but red simbol at the top remains.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 03:40 PM   #9
Joe@TopGearSolutions
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Just out curiosity, reset your trip counters to 0 and try again.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 02:13 AM   #10
markob
Private
Rep

Ive resolved the problem.

As ive said, if brake pads weare sensor didnt came in contact with disc or is not activated than you dont need to change it. If it was activated than you have yellow or red symbol for brake pad weare error.

So i somehow with diagnostic software tell my car that sensors are activated and thats why car didnt respond on reseting brake pad warning couse it was showing to the car that brake pad weare sensors are activated, so until car computer gets new data from sensors it wont reset service light.

So i removed wheel, disconect weare sensor and short circuit where sonsor is connected to the car, ran car diagnostic software and reset service interval and it worked, than i connected old sensor back to the car and thats it.
I assume that i could reset service interval trough car also but i had diagnostic software.

So once again. If you change brake pads before you get warning light on to dash than you dont need to change brake weare sensors. Couse when you get error light on dash for brakes than brake pads are so weared off that they push sensors to disc and disc grind them off and than sensors are phisicaly activated and you logicaly need to replace them.

Last edited by markob; 12-12-2019 at 05:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2023, 11:48 AM   #11
ana100
Finland
Rep
Drives: Z4, 530e, M550d, ex...335xi

I'm still struggling with similar problem. I did reset prematurely the brake pad service. This caused yellow warning light. Many tricks done, I still have "-25000km" left for rear brakes, yellow light, can not reset. DSC gives codes 5F10 and 5F11. Instument cluster gives CC-ID 328. Factory coded both DSC and KOMBI several times. I've tried with new sensors, connecting wires together, with 470 ohm resistor etc. Still can't reset. With Tool32, reading "status_cbs_sensor_bbv" gives "4 - signal not available". Any help would be really appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2023, 11:56 AM   #12
ana100
Finland
Rep
Drives: Z4, 530e, M550d, ex...335xi

DSC gives this

Here "screenshot"
Attached Images

Appreciate 0