E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Right Front Parking Light Malfunction. But not... Why can't I Troubleshoot this??

02-13-2021, 04:19 PM   #1
Tumbler510
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, W116 280S, ETC

Right Front Parking Light Malfunction. But not... Why can't I Troubleshoot this??

For a few weeks now I have gotten the "Right front parking light malfunction" warning every time I turn the car on. All of the lights on the front appear to work fine though.
A few weeks later I got a warning to replace the low beam in the front right light (it had burned out), so I did, and the warning went off for a bit. It's back now, and I can't figure out what the deal is.

Here is a video of how I clear it (Turning the light selector from "Auto" to "On")
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVa5LeJsQMY

I searched around the forums and did what others have done, removed the headlight, used steel wool on the connector, filled it with Dielectric grease, and added some shrink wrap to sections that were becoming brittle. But the warning still comes back.

Here are some pictures of the connector and the assembly:

Any help is greatly appreciated! This is getting to be very annoying!

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2021, 06:30 PM   #2
LuxAngelEyes
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Do you have the cover over the angel eye bulb? If not you are opening the headlight up to get moisture inside of it which could cause other issues. I would highly recommend putting the cover back on.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2021, 09:14 PM   #3
Tumbler510
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxAngelEyes View Post
Do you have the cover over the angel eye bulb? If not you are opening the headlight up to get moisture inside of it which could cause other issues. I would highly recommend putting the cover back on.
Unfortunately this is how I received the car, so no covers. I figured something was screwy, but wasn't sure if they were aftermarket angle eyes or what.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 08:21 AM   #4
LuxAngelEyes
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbler510 View Post
Unfortunately this is how I received the car, so no covers. I figured something was screwy, but wasn't sure if they were aftermarket angle eyes or what.
Yes these are aftermarket angel eyes. Looks as if the wires were cut and spliced into place too as those to not look like the stock connectors. They could be the cause of the issue
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 08:55 AM   #5
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

It doesn't look like the factory harness was cut, the green heat shrink looks to be part of the bulb, as they use generic LED elements for a variety of applications...

Definitely aftermarket, they look similar to these https://www.amazon.com/VANJING-03-20..._t2_B01MYFMAEA

If you google around a bit, you'll see several "brands" that look very similar.

Yours appear to have external CANBus modules which are supposed to eliminate the error messages you're getting, but you're relying on the engineering and reliability of low cost manufacturing sold through eBay/Amazon type channels...

Your options, most likely, are to either code out the cold/warm checks for the bulbs, replace the bulbs, or just live with it.

If you decide to replace them, look at better than the eBay/Amazon options. LUX, who've posted above, is a good option, and I've had very good luck with the HPB from TopGearSolutions on my E92 going on 3 years now.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 06:07 PM   #6
Tumbler510
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilime75 View Post
It doesn't look like the factory harness was cut, the green heat shrink looks to be part of the bulb, as they use generic LED elements for a variety of applications...

Definitely aftermarket, they look similar to these https://www.amazon.com/VANJING-03-20..._t2_B01MYFMAEA

If you google around a bit, you'll see several "brands" that look very similar.

Yours appear to have external CANBus modules which are supposed to eliminate the error messages you're getting, but you're relying on the engineering and reliability of low cost manufacturing sold through eBay/Amazon type channels...

Your options, most likely, are to either code out the cold/warm checks for the bulbs, replace the bulbs, or just live with it.

If you decide to replace them, look at better than the eBay/Amazon options. LUX, who've posted above, is a good option, and I've had very good luck with the HPB from TopGearSolutions on my E92 going on 3 years now.
Thanks for the info! I looked up LUX, and it looks like they only provide the light assembly, not the CANBus modules that could be my issue. Or are they cleverly integrated into the small assembly?

I was looking here: https://luxangeleyes.com/collections...cts/lux-e90-v8
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 06:19 PM   #7
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

They may just be built in, not sure, hopefully they'll chime back in.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 07:19 PM   #8
LuxAngelEyes
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbler510 View Post
Thanks for the info! I looked up LUX, and it looks like they only provide the light assembly, not the CANBus modules that could be my issue. Or are they cleverly integrated into the small assembly?

I was looking here: https://luxangeleyes.com/collections...cts/lux-e90-v8
I assume this is a 2006-2008 model year car correct? If so then Yes the LUX E90 V8 will be the correct option for those. These are designed to be 100% error free right away with no external wiring needs. This way the cover can be put back into place to make it water tight.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 11:09 AM   #9
uber
uber driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E90

+1 to everyone saying to put the cover back on. I recommend you order some covers from ECS tuning because BMW headlights are really prone to breaking when condensation gets in. In your case, it'll be a lot more than condensation.

I'm not sure where the AHL module is located on pre-lci xenons, but for the LCI it's at the bottom, so if any sort of water pools, the module fails.
Appreciate 0