E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Eibach sway bar 28mm worth it?

03-01-2021, 10:50 AM   #23
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Depends what you're trying to achieve, of course. The e93 bar is a reasonable step up anyhow, for those of us just looking for a notch up from stock
Appreciate 2
      03-02-2021, 07:00 PM   #24
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
The Eibach sway bar set is tuned to the Eibach springs found in the b12 kit I believe.
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2021, 12:47 AM   #25
335boston
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i coupe

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Hey guys , got around to throwing in the bar today since it was pretty warm up here . Although the bushings were not in as good of shape as I though I still threw them on with the bar . First impression are that I wish I bought this way sooner . Turn in has incredibly improved and I really feel the front end now . No noticeable understeer that I've found atm but that could be because of my set up / need to drive it more . I may buy some new bushings for some peace of mind but had some question . If there anyone that sells bushings for an upgraded bar ? And are poweflex worth using ? I herd mixed reviews on them! All and all though if anyone is wondering about getting this bar absolutely buy it !
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2021, 08:13 AM   #26
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335boston View Post
Hey guys , got around to throwing in the bar today since it was pretty warm up here . Although the bushings were not in as good of shape as I though I still threw them on with the bar . First impression are that I wish I bought this way sooner . Turn in has incredibly improved and I really feel the front end now . No noticeable understeer that I've found atm but that could be because of my set up / need to drive it more . I may buy some new bushings for some peace of mind but had some question . If there anyone that sells bushings for an upgraded bar ? And are poweflex worth using ? I herd mixed reviews on them! All and all though if anyone is wondering about getting this bar absolutely buy it !
Did you buy your bar used? Mine came with stiffer than stock polyu bushings from Eibach. I wouldn't think the stock bushings would fit well as the bar is larger than stock.
Appreciate 2
      03-10-2021, 10:08 AM   #27
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335boston View Post
The bar didn't come with black, poly sway bar bushings from Eibach? I'd probably call Eibach and ask them if you can buy a set of the bushings for your front sway bar, or at least get some direction as to how stiff the bushings should be? 60a 80a or other?
Appreciate 1
      03-11-2021, 04:57 PM   #28
335boston
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Hey guys !

Sorry I didn't clarify ! I bought the bar at a steal used ! Upon the pictures the bushings looked nearly untouched , but upon arrival I could see some ware and couldn't get one of them to sit flush with the bar .

I'm thinking since I have the m3 mounts , I may by a set of polyurethane black bushings , they sell them for the e93 m3 bar since the mounting points are 28mm. Plus the mounts for the m3 bar seem way superior !
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 05:00 PM   #29
335boston
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-powerfle...5-1203-28x2~p/

Thinking of buying these ! To got along with the m3 mounts !

Or go full send and go with these

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-powerfle...f5-1203-28bx2/
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 11:00 AM   #30
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Curious...which M3 bar are you coming from?

When it comes to sway bar advice, most opinions aren't directly relatable because every setup is different; also, everyone's driving style/use case is different so it's tough to make a direct comparison.

Regardless, glad to see you've found a benefit in the much stiffer bar. Finding a nice used one at a good price definitely helps justify spending the money, even just to experiment, for sure.
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2021, 01:28 PM   #31
335boston
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
Curious...which M3 bar are you coming from?

When it comes to sway bar advice, most opinions aren't directly relatable because every setup is different; also, everyone's driving style/use case is different so it's tough to make a direct comparison.

Regardless, glad to see you've found a benefit in the much stiffer bar. Finding a nice used one at a good price definitely helps justify spending the money, even just to experiment, for sure.
Hey!

I was coming from the standard m3 bar which I think is 26.5mm for the entire length of the car. Yeah for sure I couldn't pass up on the offer and I'm super happy I didn't , night and day difference I think the car finally now feels much more neutral (slightly more toward understeer than oversteer but just slight ). I'm also thinking of buying the 4s tires for this summer I have another set of oem style 189s . I herd nothing but unreal reviews of the 4s tires
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 12:49 PM   #32
The Nightman
Cometh
Rep
Drives: Boy's Soul

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Fieri View Post
There's a lot of talk about how a front sway bar helps MacPherson setups but I can only speak for my experience. I ran a 27mm solid front bar and enjoyed it for a while due to the reduced body roll and sharpened steering. However, overtime I felt that the car wasn't as neutral as before. Upgrading the very soft rear sway bar bushings with poly helped but I'm much happier with the stock front bar back in.

You can see the rest of my suspension modifications in my garage: https://www.e90post.com/forums/bpgar...=view&id=18961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Fieri View Post
Good point about NVH - city driving with rough uneven pavement is much more tolerable with the stock bar. My Whiteline bar had a slight edge with high speed turns such as highway ramps, but the stock bar is fine as well. I'm curious if upgrading the stock bushings to poly will help since the M-sport and M3 bushings are of a higher durometer.

If the OP finds that the M3 front bar isn't "flat" enough then they might enjoy an aftermarket bar. The Eibach bar is a good price.
As an update, I've found the E90 M3 front bar to be the "Goldilocks" front sway bar for body roll and ride comfort. The stock bar set up allowed for a little too much roll in spirited driving. The M3 bar does a satisfactory job of controlling body roll without affecting ride comfort or balance. Of course this depends on the rest of your suspension set up.

I'm not sure if I would take Turner's figures as gospel. The M3 bar has many incremental tweaks that increase spring rate. The bar has integrated stoppers to prevent lateral movement. The two piece bushings are impregnated with steel bearings and are very firm as a result. The brackets are thick cast units that clamp the bushings down on the bar when torqued, creating a similar effect as vulcanized bushings.

Worth noting that BMW TIS instructions say to torque the brackets at ride height (ie suspension loaded). I suspect this is to prevent bushing preload/wind up since the M3 bushings clamp down on the bar so tightly.

Last edited by The Nightman; 02-03-2022 at 12:59 PM..
Appreciate 0