E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Smell in cab on start up.

05-14-2019, 07:08 AM   #1
MVB180
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 318d M series

Smell in cab on start up.

Hi all.
I've had my E90 318DM 2010 for about 10 weeks and I've had a smell of fumes in the cab on start up and when stuck in traffic.
I also have a lumpy cold start as well and you can feel a judder on cold start.
I've had the flexi exhaust joint changed as it was in a hell of a state, but this made no difference.
I've had the engine remapped and the EGR turned off, with no change to the start up smell but i think the smell when stuck in traffic/or at traffic light has got better.
I had a an oil change today and had the glow plugs tested and they were all ok.
I'm booked in to have the DPF cleaned next week.
Any ideas??
Could the cold start be an injector which is also causing the smell in the cab on start up??
The guy doing DPF clean is adamant its the DPF but i'm just not convinced, and its gonna cost me 280 quid for the clean as it was a deal with the remap.
The car drives really well and after the remap and a power upgrade i had its rapid and I'm doing around 48/49 MPG.
Its starting to bother me and its annoying as well and could do with some help please.
I have no lights up on dash for anything, i have a little code reader that shows nothing but I'm not expecting from that as it's cheap.
Anything I've missed I'll add or answer questions if you kind people think of anything.

thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 07:45 AM   #2
sirleeofroy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330D M-Sport LCI

Garage List
Hi, it could be worth checking the pipework from the EGR to the inlet manifold, I know you said this has been mapped out but recently I went to remove my inlet manifold for cleaning and forgot to tighten the clamps on that pipework which led to the smell of fumes in the cabin.

As for your cold start, could well be the Glow Plug controller as these are known to be a weak point, particularly on the 6 cylinders...

A generic code reader won't bring a lot back if anything, you really want someone with Carly or ISTA/INPA to plug it in for you so you can read the BMW specific codes.... I'd try and get that done before spending money on something that might not need doing...
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 08:49 AM   #3
criscarp
Private
Wales
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 320D

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVB180 View Post
Hi all.
I've had my E90 318DM 2010 for about 10 weeks and I've had a smell of fumes in the cab on start up and when stuck in traffic.
I also have a lumpy cold start as well and you can feel a judder on cold start.
I've had the flexi exhaust joint changed as it was in a hell of a state, but this made no difference.
I've had the engine remapped and the EGR turned off, with no change to the start up smell but i think the smell when stuck in traffic/or at traffic light has got better.
I had a an oil change today and had the glow plugs tested and they were all ok.
I'm booked in to have the DPF cleaned next week.
Any ideas??
Could the cold start be an injector which is also causing the smell in the cab on start up??
The guy doing DPF clean is adamant its the DPF but i'm just not convinced, and its gonna cost me 280 quid for the clean as it was a deal with the remap.
The car drives really well and after the remap and a power upgrade i had its rapid and I'm doing around 48/49 MPG.
Its starting to bother me and its annoying as well and could do with some help please.
I have no lights up on dash for anything, i have a little code reader that shows nothing but I'm not expecting from that as it's cheap.
Anything I've missed I'll add or answer questions if you kind people think of anything.

thanks
Can you see or smell any fumes when you open the bonnet? Could be the egr pipe work not bolted up correctly. Or possibly the gasket behind the turbo to the dpf is missing.

As above a good code reader should tell you if your controller or heater plugs are not working.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 11:58 AM   #4
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D M Sport

Yeah, all the above are relevant I personally think you need to pop your engine cover off and observe some culprit areas. First off as already mentioned check the EGR pipe from the cooler to the EGR valve, this pipe uses two hose type clamps.

I would also say to inspect the flex pipe beings as it's been changed, releasing exhaust fumes so close to you (your pedals are near enough where it is) so it wouldn't be hard to have a nasty smell from that pipe.

Another thing, check the DPF as you have temperature sensors, LAMBDA sensor and a DPF pressure sensor all of which could leak exhaust fumes. It shouldn't be hard to find though as you'll visibly see smoke.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 03:49 PM   #5
gaz_ball
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 335d

Check the feed to the EGR cooler from the exhaust manifold. The flexible bellows section has a tendancy to split where it joins the rigid pipe but it's usually hard to spot. I had the same symptoms as you and that's what it turned out to be. I was having the car mapped anyway so had the egr turned off and blanked the exhaust & coolant feeds.

Last edited by gaz_ball; 05-14-2019 at 04:16 PM..
Appreciate 0