E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic > BMW of Sterling

04-10-2019, 09:41 AM   #1
kevkor2002
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 335i

BMW of Sterling

Word of warning to potential clients of this dealership, request a second opinion or to see the item to be serviced.

I recently took my 2009 E93 335i in to have the HPFP replaced under warranty. That process was as painless as a repair can be. However, when notified to come get the car it was mentioned that the OFHG was leaking oil (known issue on the N54) and they asked if I wanted them to repair it. They quoted me $1300. I knew the part was pretty cheap and I have a personal mechanic I trust so I declined and went to FCP Euro and bought the part. After getting the car back I didn't really notice any oil consumption at all. Still, since it was reported to me I told my guy to check it and replace it if it needed it when I dropped it off for an oil change this past weekend. He reported that it was dry and that he saw no need to replace it.

To me that is a huge black mark against that dealership. My initial response was that the dealership tried to rob me based on a known potential issue with the car. What if I had just said sure...take my money? How many people get scammed because they trust the dealer blindly? 1300 is a shit load of money!

I'll close by saying that this is all a knee jerk response by me since I didn't do any of my own indepth inspections (I did several visual inspections from the engine bay and checking the floor of the garage though) . Maybe the tech at BMW Sterling saw something small that I or my guy missed, so you can take this rant with a grain of salt I just wanted the experience out there so others can read it and make their own judgement.

Just be careful unless $1300 is walking around money to you .

Jerm
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 05:45 PM   #2
ki_soarer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 335D

Can you post a pic of the oil filter housing? How many miles are on your car?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 10:57 PM   #3
adi_335
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 E92

When I went there for my first oil change, they told me my oil pan gasket was leaking and it would cost $1300 to fix it and if I wanted it to be done, I declined and went home lifted the car and looked under at the oil pan gasket and there was nothing, then next time I went to Bmw of fairfax and asked them to check it and they said it's good and no leaks.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 11:26 AM   #4
MikeP335i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi

I've been taking my 335xi to Loudon County Exotics in Sterling. Cheaper than the dealership and as honest as you can find.

Greg, the owner was the Service Manager at Ferrari of Washington a few years back.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 08:26 AM   #5
.RJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E91

After they did the airbag recall on my 135, they offered to replace the valve cover gasket (not leaking) the OFHG (was leaking) and rear shock mounts for $4000. I just laffed and left.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 12:25 PM   #6
rohanmalik
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Did something similar to me. Told my the turbo was leaking on my 335D. Offered to replace the whole thing for $7k. Got a second opinion on it and only the top U hose was leaking. Cost $15 from FCP and took 10 minutes of my time. Will not be going back there.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 01:45 PM   #7
Exlondoner
Private
Rep
Drives: few cars...

I've experienced a similar issue with Sterling.
I recently had the car in for "a lot of repair" work at GTPeace which turned out exceptional, she drives like new again.

I stopped by Sterling to have the Airbag recall completed and was told by the service advisor that there was an oil leak from the OFHG and asked if I would like the repair done - I declined. I called GTPeace and Scott showed me the underneath of the car which was completely dry.

Stay Away from them!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 07:01 AM   #8
benton0311
Lance Corporal
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i, Graphite

Those who have been told there is an OFHG leak by the dealership may want to pull some coolant and oil out to check for contamination or even send some oil off for an analysis. I'd just shine a flashlight into the reservoir to check for visible contaminates followed by drawing out 20-50cc into a clear syringe and shining a flashlight through it.

The problem is that the leak isn't necessarily an external leak that can be observed with the naked eye (although that does happen), it's an internal leak where the gasket fails between the oil and coolant ports which are right next to each other on the cylinder head. It can be totally dry on the outside but inside oil and coolant are mixing. You're not losing either coolant or oil, they're mixing so you will not have any oil consumption. It may not appear bad to the naked eye when it first starts to go so the oil may not yet start to look like chocolate milk when it is being changed yet the cross contamination has started. The telltale would be traces of oil in the coolant (most visible) followed by an oil analysis.

If the dealership had the wherewithal to pull out some coolant and or oil to check for cross contamination and found contaminates in either, their assessment may be correct in suggesting the OFHG as the culprit as opposed to the head gasket.
Appreciate 0