E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Dealing with Distracted Driving Ticket

05-07-2019, 01:35 PM   #1
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Dealing with Distracted Driving Ticket

Has anyone experienced getting a fine under the new 2019 distracted driving laws.

Is it possible to get this dismissed, if you're ticketed for driving while using a hand held device?

First offence: $500, 3 points, 3 day suspension (if convicted)
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 05:06 PM   #2
adriang
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X2

x-copper
Appreciate 1
Wolf 3352340.50
      05-08-2019, 11:31 PM   #3
shuotong
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

No proper way to dismiss this. But worth to bother them, ask for a trial, request a disclosure, and see what evidence they have. Argue it and they may just give up on you, but distracted driving is quite a serious offence so don't expect the prosecutor will give it up easily.
Appreciate 1
Wolf 3352340.50
      05-08-2019, 11:33 PM   #4
shuotong
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

I really suggest to mount your device to your vehicle, not worth the risk for $500 and surprise insurance bill.
Appreciate 1
Wolf 3352340.50
      05-09-2019, 07:10 AM   #5
Nick.B
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i, 330i, 335xi, 6MT sport

Garage List
2011 335i  [0.00]
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shuotong View Post
No proper way to dismiss this. But worth to bother them, ask for a trial, request a disclosure, and see what evidence they have. Argue it and they may just give up on you, but distracted driving is quite a serious offence so don't expect the prosecutor will give it up easily.
If they don't get the disclosure to you with reasonable time to review and prepare before the trial, it can get thrown out. A reasonable prosecutor may even withdraw the charges as the first matter of business when court starts to get you on your way quickly. I've seen it happen.
Appreciate 1
Wolf 3352340.50
      05-10-2019, 09:13 PM   #6
dublin14
Banned
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i- F150 FX4- Audi A4

Fight it. At least go in front of JP and ask for a reduction as best as they are willing or go to.court and ask the Judge. I have done this at least 5 times back in the day. A few times the officer never showed up and I walked. Others got reduced.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 06:23 PM   #7
starbuck
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Msport

Quote:
I really suggest to mount your device to your vehicle, not worth the risk for $500 and surprise insurance bill.
Mounting your device does not save you from this ticket...any device that transmits data and is not part of the cars entertainment system will land you a ticket.

This is not like other tickets...these are rarely negotiated and also carry a 3 day suspension now if convicted.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 07:17 AM   #8
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 323i (Cdn)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
The comment about mounting the phone maybe just reduces the risk of a ticket. Not that it's legal to use it in that position, just harder to prove guilt since you're not actively holding the phone (of course if they have evidence of you interacting with it, you're out of luck).

Court route is prob your best bet to get it reduced, but may not happen if they have sufficient evidence.
The days of cops not showing up are pretty much over, in GTA cases only get scheduled on days where the cop gets paid to be specifically in court. Much higher chance of them showing up.

If you know a good paralegal, they may be able to help. Nothing but positive reviews from the one below.
Attached Images

05-29-2019, 08:04 AM   #9
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Having a mounted device only allows you to have navigation/GPS. You still can't really touch or interact it legally.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 08:05 AM   #10
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbuck View Post
Mounting your device does not save you from this ticket...any device that transmits data and is not part of the cars entertainment system will land you a ticket.
Might not save OP from the ticket since he was probably texting but your statement isn't 100% true. You can legally mount your device and have it show you navigation. But that's pretty much it.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 09:13 PM   #11
doublecup
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Might not save OP from the ticket since he was probably texting but your statement isn't 100% true. You can legally mount your device and have it show you navigation. But that's pretty much it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Having a mounted device only allows you to have navigation/GPS. You still can't really touch or interact it legally.

Are you sure about that? I don't have any personal experience, but..

According to the website: https://www.ontario.ca/page/distracted-driving

Under "what counts as distracted driving," It places the emphasis on "hand held".

Quote:
Ontario’s distracted driving laws apply to the use of hand-held communication/entertainment devices and certain display screens.
Then under penalties..

Quote:
The easiest way to avoid penalties for distracted driving is to not use a hand-held device when you’re behind the wheel.

It’s against the law to use hand-held communication (e.g. your phone) and electronic entertainment devices (e.g. DVD player, e-reader) while driving.

In fact, simply holding a phone or other device while driving is against the law.
It keeps the emphasis on holding, even bolds "hand-held".

Then it says:

Quote:
You can use:

- a hands-free device (e.g. Bluetooth) but only to turn it on and off
- a mounted device (e.g. phone, GPS) as long as it is secure – not moving around while driving
So it specifically states you CAN use a mounted phone, it does not qualify it with "only for looking at navigation but you can't touch it" or anything like that. I feel like if that was the case it would've been stated clearly.

After reading the above I was under the impression that you can indeed fuck with the phone to some extent as long as it's mounted, like to enter a different destination, to skip a song, open up your Torque app, or whatever - as long as it's mounted.

It also kind of makes sense because some cars have touchscreen navs. In my old Honda, I had to use it in order to change climate control settings. That's not any less distracting than clicking a button to skip on a song on a mounted phone 2 inches away.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 11:22 PM   #12
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublecup View Post
Are you sure about that? I don't have any personal experience, but..

According to the website: https://www.ontario.ca/page/distracted-driving

Under "what counts as distracted driving," It places the emphasis on "hand held".

Then under penalties..

It keeps the emphasis on holding, even bolds "hand-held".

Then it says:

So it specifically states you CAN use a mounted phone, it does not qualify it with "only for looking at navigation but you can't touch it" or anything like that. I feel like if that was the case it would've been stated clearly.

After reading the above I was under the impression that you can indeed fuck with the phone to some extent as long as it's mounted, like to enter a different destination, to skip a song, open up your Torque app, or whatever - as long as it's mounted.

It also kind of makes sense because some cars have touchscreen navs. In my old Honda, I had to use it in order to change climate control settings. That's not any less distracting than clicking a button to skip on a song on a mounted phone 2 inches away.
Right, but the line I was focusing on was
Quote:
You are allowed to use hands-free wireless communications devices with an earpiece, lapel button or Bluetooth. You can view GPS display screens as long as they are built into your vehicle’s dashboard or securely mounted on the dashboard.
It also say this for what is illegal. So technically using your car screen to control climate is legal... I guess? It is very confusing indeed.

Quote:
view display screens unrelated to driving, such as watching a video
Appreciate 0