E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > 335i N55 Problems

05-22-2019, 10:57 AM   #1
roaatx
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335i

335i N55 Problems

I'm having some weird issues with my car, it is a 2012 e92 335i w/N55 just surpassed 100k

I was driving on a hot day about a month ago and my car shut off on me while I was driving. I was able to pull over and turn the car back on and have not had that issue since. Everything electrical was still on when the car shut off and leads me to believe it is something fuel related. Maybe HPFP?

Which leads to me next issue. The car has been feeling really sluggish lately, and this is the best way I can describe what I'm experiencing: The car is DECELERATING too fast.. and I know when you are in a lower gear you feel this. But the car does not coast how it used to when I first bought it. It physically moves me forward almost as if the car is braking. It feels very odd.

I also have a weird squeak on a cold start, but not every cold start. It sounds like a pulley or belt, but I have replaced the belt, tensioner, and both idler pulleys (75mm & 90mm). The squeak definitely got less noticeable after replacing these items but it's still there just quieter.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated. I tried to include all the details I could without making this too long...

EDIT: No codes are being thrown at all

Last edited by roaatx; 05-22-2019 at 01:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 11:40 AM   #2
robthewrench
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 335i

I'd suggest trying a coasting test, transmission in neutral. If the car does decelerate quickly without you applying the brakes, you have some sort of wheel or driveline friction issue. Possibly a stuck caliper. This type of issue would not throw any codes, but if severe enough could stall the car when no throttle is being applied.

If the car seems to coast fine while in neutral, you can then rule out driveline issues and focus on the engine / transmission.