E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Bluetooth into MOST aptx

08-25-2016, 03:08 AM   #1
sparkymarky
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
Bluetooth into MOST aptx

Guys, what are our options for getting music straight into the MOST loop,
(thus missing out on the d/a conversions via the aux (i have no usb)).

Thinking of something plugged into the CD Changer MOST loop in the boot and then streaming from the front of car using apt-x.

What device am i looking for?!

Or if it comes to it the same setup but using wifi?
      08-25-2016, 03:44 AM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

FYI

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1002984

aptx doesn't work unless both the transmitting and receiving devices
support it.

There is no most aptx receiver .
Best to get usb to most as in a dension gateway 500 s bt
if you can't get the factory USB. It has a2dp but not aptx to..

Last edited by ctuna; 08-25-2016 at 06:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 05:50 AM   #3
sparkymarky
Captain
Rep

Garage List
ah thanks, that'll be why i cant find anything then.

Hmmm. Already have parrott a2dp into the armrest aux. Was thinking of an upgrade to aptx at the same time as trying to go all digital.

I think the easiest and cheapest way to get to digital is to just buy an oem LCI bt usb headunit, and connect my tablet to its USB. No Bt losses and no waiting for it to connect etc. Can then sell my parrot mki9000 also. Its handy at the moment as the parrot remote controls my tablets music (skip, vol etc) - the tablet is installed in the top speaker vent (here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=18319046)

Question though, if i buy the BT usb headunit, will it via USB (i know it wont stream music via BT)

1. charge the tablet at all and (1.a) let me play music at the same time as charging (android, otg capable)?

2. will the headunit act as a remote for the tablet, i.e skip, vol etc on the head unit all work and the steering wheel controls work when connected via usb?

If it doesnt charge the tablet and play at the same time i can get around it as my sony xperia tablet also has pogo charging pins on the side of it. So can still usb music out of it via otg.

Not sure if you know the answers but i know you've been around for a while
      08-25-2016, 06:24 AM   #4
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

The oem head unit with usb

The oem head unit with usb works with steering wheel is all I know.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=687463
If you already have idrive you have a different set of problems but
you could do a mulf 2 hi or combox upgrade on that one.

A dension gateway 500s bt will work with either the pro radio or idrive.

Aptx has not been out long so there may be new stuff coming
up all the time , but the most bus interface is kind of odd
and not well supported for aftermarket devices.
I don't see many people talking about aftermarket head
units with aptx yet, A2dp is just becoming a common feature.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 06:42 AM   #5
sparkymarky
Captain
Rep

Garage List
no idrive no nothing (no mulfs comboxs etc). Just professional hifi.

Thanks for that, think i'll go for the oem headunit with usb to get a pure digital in and avoid the aux.
      08-26-2016, 08:43 AM   #6
6spdcoupe
tends to get irritable
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 F15,18 M550,20 Highlander

If you have HiFi 676, then something in the MOST loop wouldn't really be needed, you're analog to the amp. Aftermarket radio may be your best option and easy to do with HiFi.

AC Schnitzer/Eibach/M Performance/RaceChip/Compustar/Drone/BimmerTech/FireTV/Helix/Dynaudio/Micro-Precision/Jehnert/Audiomobile
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 08:59 AM   #7
str8shot
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N54 Montego Blue 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkymarky View Post
no idrive no nothing (no mulfs comboxs etc). Just professional hifi.

Thanks for that, think i'll go for the oem headunit with usb to get a pure digital in and avoid the aux.
Use the aux. Buy a Kinivo BTC-455 (supports two devices) or a BTC-450 (supports 1 device).

Uses APT-x and sounds equivalent to CD quality.

If you want steering wheel control, there's ways to do that to (I build a can-bus to bluetooth bridge allowing the steering wheel to send track forward / backward commands to my phone via bluetooth).
08 Montego Blue 135i Coupe // Sport Package // Custom E30 tune // str8shot bluetooth enabled ECA // Walboro 255 inline pump // BMS downpipes // VRSF 7" FMIC // Injen intake // Berk ceramic exhaust // OEM 550i clutch // MFactory single mass flywheel // Vorshlag camber plates // Hotchkis FSB // Turner adjustable drop links // AST 5100 coilovers // Hawk HPS pads // Ti backing plates // Stoptech stainless brake lines // Turner 15mm spacers
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 01:48 PM   #8
NightStalker
Rep
Drives: Audi

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8shot View Post
Use the aux. Buy a Kinivo BTC-455 (supports two devices) or a BTC-450 (supports 1 device).

If you want steering wheel control, there's ways to do that to (I build a can-bus to bluetooth bridge allowing the steering wheel to send track forward / backward commands to my phone via bluetooth).
Can you please elaborate more on the steering control. Very interested in this. I'm using audiengine Bluetooth receiver in my car. Would love steering skip control.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 05:10 PM   #9
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8shot View Post

+1 - the Kinivo devices work really well with android where you can take advantage of the aptx. Very good audio quality.
OEM Black grill and Blackline tails - LCI halogens with Lux V2 coded as DRL - 3M Crystalline - BMS PBX - OEM Euro Airbox with K&N - Hardwired CTEK - Bilstein B6 w/OEM springs and SP perches - Conti DWS06 - HiFi-Helix DSP - JLAudio HD/XD-Morel - CD changer trim - AE optical out
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 07:19 PM   #10
RunFlatOut
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E92 330d coupe

I'll add my 2 cents but they're probably worth les than that, you'll understand why soon enough.

I had my mind set on upgrading the car experience a bit so I've been looking into cool products, impossible retrofits, oem bits, cheap Chinese bobs, expensive German bling, there's alwaye another link to follow, another post, another product. To give you an idea, just for USB there's Dension, mobridge, grom, connects2, phatbox (rip), yatour, intravee, dice, usaspec,...

And I haven't actually bought anything, but I found an interesting one: Trioma. They're Russian, but the German website has an English version. Have a look at this one:

http://umno-tech.com/catalog/product...roducts_id=567

Interesting thing in your case is that you can match it with the Bluetooth accessory for a2dp streaming. Also, the main adapter is affordable and engineered for the MOST bus.

I was looking at it as a way of adding USB to my car, without paying a fortune, melting my brains with tcu/mulf/Combox nightmares. As far as I can make out it's the only one that lets me keep my CD changer. Plus in a USB stick, MOST bus is updated, CD changer points to virtual CDs with the USB content. Remove the stick, MOST is updated on the fly, you get the CD changer back to playing normal CDs. I'll be getting one soon, but there's a few more things I need to figure out first.

But yeah have a look, a Trioma SKIF with the Bluetooth accessory could work for you, it's what I'm looking at getting. There's a bunch of vids on YouTube so you can see some of the stuff at work. Ho and I sent an email to the German site's support with a bunch of questions and got a same day reply.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 04:12 AM   #11
sparkymarky
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Very interesting runflatout. I could use the usb to plug my tablet straight into and get digital into the MOST loop by the looks of it? So no analogue conversions?

The bluetooth looks handy although it doesnt support apt-x by the looks of it.
      09-09-2016, 08:27 AM   #12
RunFlatOut
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkymarky View Post
Very interesting runflatout. I could use the usb to plug my tablet straight into and get digital into the MOST loop by the looks of it? So no analogue conversions?

The bluetooth looks handy although it doesnt support apt-x by the looks of it.
The SKIF module is definitely inserted as an item on the MOST loop, which I believe is only a transport bus for digital information. My understanding is that elements on the MOST ring send data along the optical path and the final conversion to analog is done by the head unit (or maybe the CCC). If we put a bunch of questions together I can probably get good answers from the support team. And if a MOST expert has the ability to expose my ignorance and correct me then please please do so.

However I suspect you can't just pop a cable in the USB slot to any device (phone, tablet) and make it work. Have a look at the accessories link below you'll see one of those is an extension for Apple stuff. The SKIF adapter plugs in the MOST loop and offers 2 interfaces: a standard USB port and an extension port that looks like it's proprietary. That's where you would add their Bluetooth module or their Apple module. They have a third extension which is an Aux cable, basically allowing you to use the SKIF module as an Aux input.

http://umno-tech.com/catalog/index.p...50bdf24803e0c1

Huh...now I'm confused. Adding the Aux module would mean the SKIF adapter can send analog output (eg: aux out on an iPod) via the MOST loop?

I'll definitely ask them a few more questions in my next mail
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 11:21 AM   #13
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

So Dension and Mobridge also offer a similar devices plus there is another one I can't remember that go through the cd changer interface . They do more than just USB some do A2DP . I wonder what the price comparison versus features is.

Last edited by ctuna; 09-09-2016 at 02:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 01:23 PM   #14
RunFlatOut
Private First Class
Rep

The reason I'm leaning towards the Trioma unit is simply that it works in tandem with my CD changer, which for me is very nice. I've paid for the thing and I use it every time. All other MOST-compatible units require the removal or bypass of the changer in order to take its place. If that's ok with you then for sure Dension has a nice range, top of the price list too though.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 02:18 PM   #15
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

dension has a model the works with the cd changer

dension has a model the works with the cd changer
and they have a nice pod that fits in the factory location
for the usb and aux in the arm rest compartment. But are any of these answering the original question about getting aptx? Grom was the other similar device.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 04:40 PM   #16
RunFlatOut
Private First Class
Rep

I'm not trying to sell anything, just mentioning something I saw that could be of interest to the OP seeing as MOST-friendly devices aren't that common. And mea culpa, I did forget the Dension with the MOST splitter. I did see a few days ago that they offered something like that, but when I saw the price I recoiled in horror. There's only so much I'm willing to pay for something that's pretty much just a bridge.
Appreciate 0