E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > N55 PureTurbos Intake Inlet pipe

01-31-2015, 08:20 PM   #67
ShlemonboostedM
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i F30

We demand inlet for F series .!!! Darkhold I'm sure you asked them about it any time frame when it will be available for us ? :
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 11:46 PM   #68
PeterPure
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3

Garage List
2017 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShlemonboostedM
We demand inlet for F series .!!! Darkhold I'm sure you asked them about it any time frame when it will be available for us ? :
Yes i asked. I guess by end of march, early april possibly.

Hutch tnx for sharing that log. I have pulls of running 14.5 psi tapering to 13 on 93 only. From 1st into 5th could make you a 2nd into 3rd monday. Pwm is higher in those gears. Why not test 4th gear? Pm me your email i send you few logs.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 10:36 AM   #69
D's Bimmer
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340 Xi

I have been away for a while and just getting caught up on this for spring.

Would I notice any real difference upgrading this inlet pipe on a stock turbo with a Dinan tune?

I am contemplating working with Pro Tuning Freaks and Cobb and possibly adding A Pure Turbo. I would prefer to not have to run any exotic fuel. I want to continue to run 91 or possibly upgrade to 93/94 if that makes sense.

Appreciate the input.
      02-01-2015, 10:41 AM   #70
PeterPure
Major
Belgium
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by D's Bimmer View Post

Would I notice any real difference upgrading this inlet pipe on a stock turbo with a Dinan tune?

I am contemplating working with Pro Tuning Freaks and Cobb and possibly adding A Pure Turbo. I would prefer to not have to run any exotic fuel. I want to continue to run 91 or possibly upgrade to 93/94 if that makes sense.

Appreciate the input.
I think the stock inlets are designed to run with the stock turbo's. If you say you are running 91 octane you can't push boost up a lot. So if there are any gains I think they will be minimal.

The point of having upgraded inlets is that if you run more boost on stock or upgraded turbos that it's more easy on the hardware. Meaning the turbos can give the same boost at less dutycycle. This means in turn you could up the boost and increase duty cycle for more performance. So if not for performance you could do this for added reliability.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 07:45 PM   #71
snaimpally
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdub679 View Post
Someone may have asked this, but does the inlet pipe fit on stock turbo n55's or is it only for upgraded turbos?
Pure Turbo stage 1 (and stage 2 I think) uses the stock turbo casing while upgrading the wheel. That is one of the beauties of Pure stage 1 - looks totally stock to the dealer - dealer would have take the turbo apart and measure the wheel to find the difference.
      02-01-2015, 08:32 PM   #72
Jsoboti
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E92 M-Sport 6MT

So if FBO running 93 w/E85 and/or meth, we are "maxing out" the turbos?

In that case the Pure Inlet would benefit us?
JB4 G5 ISO FF | BMS Performance Intake | BMS Wheel Spacers | VRSF Catless DP | Red CYBA Scoops | Supreme Power Lowering Perches | VRSF Charge Pipe | VMR 810 19x8.5 ET35 19x9.5 ET33 | Michelin PSS 235/265 | BMS CDV | BMS Clutch Stop | 4'' Tips
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 10:21 PM   #73
iuhutch
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18%E2%80%99 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsoboti View Post
So if FBO running 93 w/E85 and/or meth, we are "maxing out" the turbos?

In that case the Pure Inlet would benefit us?
The first sentence is not true at all.

Piping the turbo and out are huge factors in power and Effieciencies!

More to come on exact number but I promise it's with the cost...
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 10:39 PM   #74
Jsoboti
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E92 M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by iuhutch View Post
The first sentence is not true at all.

Piping the turbo and out are huge factors in power and Effieciencies!

More to come on exact number but I promise it's with the cost...
First sentence was a question!!! lol just trying to see if its worth it to run this without an upgraded turbo. Thanks for the reply, looking forward to seeing more results
JB4 G5 ISO FF | BMS Performance Intake | BMS Wheel Spacers | VRSF Catless DP | Red CYBA Scoops | Supreme Power Lowering Perches | VRSF Charge Pipe | VMR 810 19x8.5 ET35 19x9.5 ET33 | Michelin PSS 235/265 | BMS CDV | BMS Clutch Stop | 4'' Tips
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 08:18 AM   #75
JETmn
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive Msport

Garage List
2011 335Xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaimpally View Post
Pure Turbo stage 1 (and stage 2 I think) uses the stock turbo casing while upgrading the wheel. That is one of the beauties of Pure stage 1 - looks totally stock to the dealer - dealer would have take the turbo apart and measure the wheel to find the difference.
Yes, the same housing but the housing has been bored out for a larger wheel and the inlet is larger diameter. That is why the pipe should be larger too. Gains on a stock turbo are probably nonexistent.

I might have to snag one of these soon too. Bi-yearly car cruise coming up in April and need to see how well I can keep up with the other guys
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 10:03 AM   #76
iuhutch
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsoboti View Post
First sentence was a question!!! lol just trying to see if its worth it to run this without an upgraded turbo. Thanks for the reply, looking forward to seeing more results
You may not gain much on stock turbo but you'd likely make it more happy per se and put it into a better efficiency range
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 10:48 AM   #77
JETmn
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 335Xi  [0.00]
You wont' change the efficiency range of the turbo, but you may lower the pumping losses slightly. They may actually be increased though as now you are going to have a flat lip right before the compressor inlet. The stock pipe is the same size as the stock compressor inlet so you have a smooth flow. If you open the pipe up then the compressor will have a smaller inlet and cause turbulence right before the compressor inlet, which is the worst area for turbulence. I don't think I would try this on a stock turbo car.
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2015, 11:15 AM   #78
iuhutch
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETmn View Post
You wont' change the efficiency range of the turbo, but you may lower the pumping losses slightly. They may actually be increased though as now you are going to have a flat lip right before the compressor inlet. The stock pipe is the same size as the stock compressor inlet so you have a smooth flow. If you open the pipe up then the compressor will have a smaller inlet and cause turbulence right before the compressor inlet, which is the worst area for turbulence. I don't think I would try this on a stock turbo car.
You make an interesting point. Thanks for chiming in with your thoughts. Be curious to see data to this either way.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 11:55 AM   #79
PeterPure
Major
Belgium
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JETmn
So depending how its sized if stage2 turbo is even more bored out at compressor side (which i guess it is) either this inlet is perfectly matched or you need one so you dont have a lip before compressor?

Maybe @pureturbos jesse can chime in. I guess its a valid question for him.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 12:12 PM   #80
JETmn
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 335Xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhold View Post
So depending how its sized if stage2 turbo is even more bored out at compressor side (which i guess it is) either this inlet is perfectly matched or you need one so you dont have a lip before compressor?

Yes, I am wondering how big the stage 2 inlet is compared to the inlet pipe. Ideally you want the pipe to be bigger than the inlet to the turbo and to have a smooth taper in to the turbo (think bellmouth like a carburetor). Look at most aftermarket turbos and you will see the inlet pipe seals against the outside of the compressor inlet, not the inside like the stock turbo.

If the inlet pipe is smaller diameter than the stage 2 inlet then there will be more opportunity for improvement. I wish there was 2 studs for the intake pipe on the outside of the turbo, but we only have 1. That would allow a larger inlet pipe and to seal it with an o-ring on the outside surface of the turbo instead of the inside surface like stock. Then we could run a much larger intake pipe and have no issues. A few of the limitations of the stock turbo are what make me think about going with an aftermarket turbo, but the stock bov/wastegate are nice being electronic and you would lose that.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 01:40 PM   #81
PeterPure
Major
Belgium
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JETmn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhold View Post

Yes, I am wondering how big the stage 2 inlet is compared to the inlet pipe. Ideally you want the pipe to be bigger than the inlet to the turbo and to have a smooth taper in to the turbo (think bellmouth like a carburetor). Look at most aftermarket turbos and you will see the inlet pipe seals against the outside of the compressor inlet, not the inside like the stock turbo.

If the inlet pipe is smaller diameter than the stage 2 inlet then there will be more opportunity for improvement. I wish there was 2 studs for the intake pipe on the outside of the turbo, but we only have 1. That would allow a larger inlet pipe and to seal it with an o-ring on the outside surface of the turbo instead of the inside surface like stock. Then we could run a much larger intake pipe and have no issues. A few of the limitations of the stock turbo are what make me think about going with an aftermarket turbo, but the stock bov/wastegate are nice being electronic and you would lose that.
Tnx for detailed explanation Jet.

I guess we have to wait and see what stage2 turbo brings. I would be happy with 500whp anything over that is a bonus!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 03:06 PM   #82
DrRobert
Normal Person
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i

Garage List
2011 E90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by D's Bimmer View Post

Appreciate the input.
I have a PTF/Cobb tune and here in CA the premium gas is only 91 octane. I will be installing Pure stage 1 turbo and inlet pipe next week, then will send some new data logs to PTF for review and new engine map if needed. There are a couple of stations that sell racing fuel (100-101 octane) around here, might experiment w/ higher octane blend after that. I can let you know how it goes if you want.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 03:50 PM   #83
iuhutch
Captain
United_States
Rep

still seeking FBOpure either map 2 or map 5 or even 7 for that matter on 93 OCT for data comprehensives.

Post in here or feel free to IM me on the board. thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 08:11 PM   #84
ShlemonboostedM
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by iuhutch
still seeking FBOpure either map 2 or map 5 or even 7 for that matter on 93 OCT for data comprehensives.

I'm running pure turbo on fbo F30 on map 2 daily on 93 oct .. What data do you want ? On map 2 and 93 oct timing is kinda shitty .. And depends on quality of fuel some times it's not even acceptable .. And I drop it on map 1 .. I haven't dyno yet .. On 93 but was thinking to do as their wasn't any dyno on pump gas alone .. But I wont expect too much power on 93 15whp - 20 whp max over stock turbo ..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 08:52 PM   #85
1cleann55
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Quote:

I may have 93Oct map 2 on my vargas setup if that's OK with you? Unless you specifically want pure? But their both the same so up to you
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 09:24 AM   #86
iuhutch
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1cleann55 View Post
I may have 93Oct map 2 on my vargas setup if that's OK with you? Unless you specifically want pure? But their both the same so up to you
yea either would work. i'm just interested in pwms and afrs
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 12:03 AM   #87
Porkay M
Rep
Drives: BMW x1 xdrive35i m sport

I ordered but have not installed the inlet pipe on my stock n55 turbo. Why would more flow possibly hurt performance. Should i be worried about installing this on a full bolt on N55?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 05:22 AM   #88
PeterPure
Major
Belgium
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
yea either would work. i'm just interested in pwms and afrs
Btw I have noticed after putting stock intake back on that my PWM is lower with the stock intake compared to BMS intake. So I am running stock intake currently.
Appreciate 0