E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > N57 Oil Pump Failure/WTB

07-18-2018, 05:31 AM   #1
Damogs
Rep
Drives: '05 118i

N57 Oil Pump Failure/WTB

Hi guys, I was going for a drive in my 3 day old (managed to put about 300km on it), 69,000km E90 LCI 330D with quite good BMW dealership service history, when suddenly idrive goes crazy at me saying low oil pressure stop engine immediately. Along with this I hear a new jingling/grinding noise. I also lost brake assist (i.e, vacuum).

My first thought was timing chains, but the engine still ran fine, just making this noise and warnings of low oil pressure. I got the car towed to a mechanic, which after pulling the gearbox and dropping the sump saw a loose oil pump chain. After some fishing we managed to pull the oil pump drive gear out of the sump. I thought the oil pump bolt had loosened out somehow. But after dropping the sump it became clear that the bolt had snapped at the head.

Some further thinking lead us to think that there isn't that much force on the oil pump for that to happen. After getting the snapped part of the bolt out, quite easily, we realised that the oil pump wasn't actually spinning.

After pulling the pump apart, it became obvious that the intermediate (or floater or non-directly driven) gear in the pump had been grinding against the housing verrrry slightly, forcing it to seize in position. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Is this a common issue? Should a 69,XXXkm old engine that has been serviced well and very clean inside do this?

Also, does anyone in any part of the world have a reasonably priced oil pump for a n57d30 for sale?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 04:00 PM   #2
tryingtobebest
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90

In most of the oil pumps gears touching their walls...
Now, i hate to say this but, even if you find oil pump there might be a chance of spinning a big end (rod bearing) since you run it with no oil pressure!

Post some pics, and on the term of should engine do this - no, most of us never had to deal with things internally
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 09:42 AM   #3
Andy198712
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 E91 325d

not heard this one before from an N57 engine, sounds really un lucky wonder if its worth asking BMW for any help? as thats not many miles!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 10:17 AM   #4
sukutash
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d, 2020 M2C

Garage List
I believe Andrew of AARodriguez/ tunemyeuro.com, had an oil pump failure.

http://www.tunemyeuro.com/335d-low-o...-pump-failure/

Last edited by sukutash; 07-19-2018 at 10:18 AM.. Reason: Added web address
Appreciate 0