E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > '13 335i N55 tuning options

04-04-2017, 06:54 AM   #23
jlegelis
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 N55 MT MSport

Sounds like a holdover from the days of poor quality maps, as I can't think of a reason a sophisticated map like Ken's couldn't also control boost and entirely eliminate the JB4. My theory is that there's nothing the JB4 does that a good map couldn't also do... but I also see that lots of ppl still run the JB4/back-end flash combo, so either I'm not fully understanding the reason for the combo, or the sophistication of the programming has finally caught up with the needs of the users, so the the days of the combo are numbered. Do I have that right?

Regards,
John L
Boston
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 07:19 AM   #24
hz_diesel
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 335ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlegelis View Post
Sounds like a holdover from the days of poor quality maps, as I can't think of a reason a sophisticated map like Ken's couldn't also control boost and entirely eliminate the JB4. My theory is that there's nothing the JB4 does that a good map couldn't also do... but I also see that lots of ppl still run the JB4/back-end flash combo, so either I'm not fully understanding the reason for the combo, or the sophistication of the programming has finally caught up with the needs of the users, so the the days of the combo are numbered. Do I have that right?

Regards,
John L
Boston
The boost control on a jb4 is pretty hard to match BUT what people are forgetting is there is no real benefit for the BEF unless you have a bigger turbo as well. Those people, myself included also keep the JB4 to handle flex fuel or meth injection.
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2017, 01:23 PM   #25
Wksk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i e92 6spd goes vroom!

Quote:
Do I have that right?
No
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 02:38 PM   #26
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:

Regards,
John L
Boston
The JB4 adds additional safety systems, features, on the fly adjustment, and integration, that are not possible flash only. If you are also using a back end flash map BMS posts high quality fully unlocked maps free of charge for you to use. And provide free tuning support via the n54tech forum and email.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 06:39 PM   #27
Bours
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i x-drive LCI sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hz_diesel View Post
The boost control on a jb4 is pretty hard to match BUT what people are forgetting is there is no real benefit for the BEF unless you have a bigger turbo as well. Those people, myself included also keep the JB4 to handle flex fuel or meth injection.
The BEF is awesome for stock turbo as well. My afr and trims were way too high with jb4 only. Now with the bef all my parameters are good and car pulls strong with mbt timing targets and new maps

I like to switch from dd pump map to a my kill mode meth map in 2 seconds.

Flash only might be the way to go but i couldnt live without the on the fly features and meth safety/integration
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2017, 06:51 PM   #28
prima_materia
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 11' BMW 335i Sedan XDrive LCI

Idk if there's 'no' benefit to running a backend flash, I think that would come down to what you'd ascribe as a 'benefit', becomes somewhat semantical.

Timing and fuel are controlled via bef, which leaves the JB4 for boost control; smoother power delivery, new boost targeting per each JB4 map, better fueling and timing for people running e40-e50 versus just with the JB4 flex fuel adapter/FOL biasing, rescaled the tables for 320kph [198mph], among other changes.

Running a JB4 with BEF isn't going to magically make more power or anything though. There's dyno comparisons that were done on n54tech with just JB4 ISO vs JB4 ISO with BEF and there was essentially no difference in terms of hp/trq output.. Smoother and more stable/linear - yes. Any major difference in terms of power - no.

For the everyday pump gas driver with JB4 I wouldn't even bother with the bef's, though if you're fbo and running e40/e50, want better timing/fuel control and more linear power delivery - then I think the bef's in tandem with JB4 are the way to go [if you plan on keeping the JB4 for boost control].

Or you could just skip all this and just run a standalone flash from MHD, Justin, or Wedge.
JB4 ISO Map 7 @ 20psi, MHD/BMS e85 BEF, ISO_14 Firmware, xHP Stage 3 TCU Flash, Flex Fuel Adapter, Rev3 Connect-Kit, 50% e85 mix/93 octane, K&N drop-in filter, ER Chargepipe, JB4 CAN-flap disabled, VRSF Catless DP, VRSF 7in. FMIC,
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 07:02 PM   #29
Bours
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by prima_materia View Post
Idk if there's 'no' benefit to running a backend flash, I think that would come down to what you'd ascribe as a 'benefit', becomes somewhat semantical.

Timing and fuel are controlled via bef, which leaves the JB4 for boost control; smoother power delivery, new boost targeting per each JB4 map, better fueling and timing for people running e40-e50 versus just with the JB4 flex fuel adapter/FOL biasing, rescaled the tables for 320kph [198mph], among other changes.

Running a JB4 with BEF isn't going to magically make more power or anything though. There's dyno comparisons that were done on n54tech with just JB4 ISO vs JB4 ISO with BEF and there was essentially no difference in terms of hp/trq output.. Smoother and more stable/linear - yes. Any major difference in terms of power - no.

For the everyday pump gas driver with JB4 I wouldn't even bother with the bef's, though if you're fbo and running e40/e50, want better timing/fuel control and more linear power delivery - then I think the bef's in tandem with JB4 are the way to go [if you plan on keeping the JB4 for boost control].

Or you could just skip all this and just run a standalone flash from MHD, Justin, or Wedge.
Well said buddy ! Hows the car ? Next mods?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 07:08 PM   #30
prima_materia
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 11' BMW 335i Sedan XDrive LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bours View Post
Well said buddy ! Hows the car ? Next mods?
It's good man. Running well

PS2, fuel it tbi [might do the MMP PI], fuel it stg 2 lpfp <<< by next year hopefully

Hope alls well withya
JB4 ISO Map 7 @ 20psi, MHD/BMS e85 BEF, ISO_14 Firmware, xHP Stage 3 TCU Flash, Flex Fuel Adapter, Rev3 Connect-Kit, 50% e85 mix/93 octane, K&N drop-in filter, ER Chargepipe, JB4 CAN-flap disabled, VRSF Catless DP, VRSF 7in. FMIC,
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 07:44 PM   #31
Bours
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by prima_materia View Post
It's good man. Running well

PS2, fuel it tbi [might do the MMP PI], fuel it stg 2 lpfp <<< by next year hopefully

Hope alls well withya
Oh nice ! Yeah my car is on meth 20.5 psi peak 80/20 mix and its strong as hell until 5.5k rpm...

I need a ps2 i just hope i wont loose that ZERO lag like stocker which is perfect for city driving
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 08:07 PM   #32
jlegelis
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 N55 MT MSport

Thx for the education and comments. Can't wait until the bench flash is available for my '13 N55 ecu (mine's locked). ;(
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 03:14 PM   #33
JJaber
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport

I have a 2013 E92 335i and got the Dinan Stage 2 - flashed with no issues. Not a huge increase in power but tons of midrange torque and smooth delivery.
      04-11-2017, 02:39 PM   #34
cbc03
Private
Rep
Drives: 2003 e46 325i; 2013 e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJaber View Post
I have a 2013 E92 335i and got the Dinan Stage 2 - flashed with no issues. Not a huge increase in power but tons of midrange torque and smooth delivery.
Mind if I ask how much you paid for this? Also is your car CPO?

I read into Dinan's warranty and they will warranty parts ONLY for CPO vehicles. Meaning if your engine was to somehow blow up due to a faulty tune, they warranty the tune, and any labor that was done at the time of tuning, but not the motor. And BMW will turn around and deny warranty replacement of said motor due to an "aftermarket" tune being the culprit, even though Dinan partners with BMW. Essentially Dinan pitches the whole "Dinan does not void manufacturer warranty" but in reality what happens is BMW voids your warranty outright but Dinan steps in and matches BMWs factory warranty. That is why they say you are covered for the 4 years of a new car because they are matching factory warranty. Once the factory warranty is up, they switch to part only warranty. This is something that has kept me away from Dinan tunes.

Also, now that you have a Dinan tune, does that mean your DME is unlocked and can now support other flash tunes? Curious if that actually works.

Last edited by cbc03; 04-11-2017 at 02:40 PM.. Reason: Made post easier to read
Appreciate 0