E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Am I the only one who finds the under car Splash shield a pain in the ass?

12-06-2020, 06:39 AM   #45
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
Love my Bosch impact 12v and Milwaukee Fuel 12v drill. Both have incredibly long batteries, are shockingly strong and are super light which makes them easy to use.

If I add one more tool it would be an 18v impact and I’d have pretty much all I need. Just very rarely need 18v type power.
My first buy was the Milwaukee M12 impact wrench. Since then I've been adding to my M12 tool cache. One tool I added is the M12 mini sawzall. It really came in handy last weekend.

A buddy, Jack, came over with his 1994 Ford Ranger. The fuel filler rubber hose had dry rotted and he couldn't fill the tank more than halfway or fuel would spill out. The new part is $25. The procedure is either drop the fuel tank (PIA) or lift the bed box. We chose option (b). So we backed it in under the lift. Tied rope to the front bed stake holes, removed the 6 bed bolts, inserted the longer front bolts into the rear bolt spots so the bed would pivot. Then we lifted the front of the bed up to get clearance to reach the fuel tank filler neck.

The problem was the hose was so dry rotted it was hard as wood and wouldn't flex enough to get it off the neck of the fuel tank. I handed Jack the M12 mini sawzall and he cut right through the old fuel hose and we had everything fished up in about 20 minutes.

I like the M12 stuff because the battery format is very compact, which makes the tools compact for tight spaces.

While we are on the subject of Milwaukee tools. These two lights I have found to be indispensable for under car work, part of Milwaukee's ROVER USB rechargeable light series:
Attached Images

A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 2
3PedalJake2613.50
Buug95917394.50
      12-06-2020, 07:15 AM   #46
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
My first buy was the Milwaukee M12 impact wrench. Since then I've been adding to my M12 tool cache. One tool I added is the M12 mini sawzall. It really came in handy last weekend.

A buddy, Jack, came over with his 1994 Ford Ranger. The fuel filler rubber hose had dry rotted and he couldn't fill the tank more than halfway or fuel would spill out. The new part is $25. The procedure is either drop the fuel tank (PIA) or lift the bed box. We chose option (b). So we backed it in under the lift. Tied rope to the front bed stake holes, removed the 6 bed bolts, inserted the longer front bolts into the rear bolt spots so the bed would pivot. Then we lifted the front of the bed up to get clearance to reach the fuel tank filler neck.

The problem was the hose was so dry rotted it was hard as wood and wouldn't flex enough to get it off the neck of the fuel tank. I handed Jack the M12 mini sawzall and he cut right through the old fuel hose and we had everything fished up in about 20 minutes.

I like the M12 stuff because the battery format is very compact, which makes the tools compact for tight spaces.

While we are on the subject of Milwaukee tools. These two lights I have found to be indispensable for under car work, part of Milwaukee's ROVER USB rechargeable light series:
I used to like Milwaukee and have a 20 y.o. hammer drill (corded) that is not the "real" Milwaukee, it's made in Germany and has a Bosch equivalent I think. My bro has all Milwaukee cordless that he was given from work for free. since my impact wrench was the Dewalt 20V series, now all my tools are such (drills, saws, etc.)

I saw the M12 at the Home Depot but when i saw the price I kept walking lol and got a no name brand on amazon (don't remember the price, but think about what you can do with a $25 Dremel knock-off, similar principle I guess)

Other than Snap On, I'm not that loyal as I think of all these tools as being like "Troy Bilt." They're not really Troy Bilt, some conglomerate snatched them up and are using the brand...like Die Hard or Craftsman. Craftsman used to be really good for DIY'ers, I have some USA made stuff
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 08:26 AM   #47
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
I used to like Milwaukee and have a 20 y.o. hammer drill (corded) that is not the "real" Milwaukee, it's made in Germany and has a Bosch equivalent I think. My bro has all Milwaukee cordless that he was given from work for free. since my impact wrench was the Dewalt 20V series, now all my tools are such (drills, saws, etc.)

I saw the M12 at the Home Depot but when i saw the price I kept walking lol and got a no name brand on amazon (don't remember the price, but think about what you can do with a $25 Dremel knock-off, similar principle I guess)

Other than Snap On, I'm not that loyal as I think of all these tools as being like "Troy Bilt." They're not really Troy Bilt, some conglomerate snatched them up and are using the brand...like Die Hard or Craftsman. Craftsman used to be really good for DIY'ers, I have some USA made stuff
I buy my construction tools from a local family-owned lumber yard. I pay a little more, but I get real live service for my extra dollars. I buy my yard equipment from a local, family-owned business, for the same reason. I pay a bit more, but if and when I need service I get it. On-line gives me nothing. Home Depot and Lowes, nope. My guy Doug at the lawn place, and Jeff at the lumber yard remember me when I come in, which is infrequently. I think with the professional brands like Milwaukee, they are set up for the long haul and keep parts in stock to repair their products. Crap companies like Worx don't. I'm willing to pay the difference.

Sears sold Craftsman to Black & Decker a decade ago to raise cash. Briggs & Stratton and Black & Decker own most everything now. I get by without Snapp-off. I think I have one tool (a panel removal tool) from them that a tech left in my Integra 20 years ago.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50
      12-06-2020, 05:10 PM   #48
3PedalJake
Neo-Luddite
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i, 330i 6MT RWD Sport

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:

Sometimes I look at my wife wistfully and say "wifie.... I love my power tools". She rolls her eyes but if she only knew. I've had Ryobi One 18V stuff since it was blue and came with ni-cad batteries. It all still works (except the ni-cads). I started adding to my collection but also really fell in love with the Milwaukee stuff for what you mentioned, the battery form factor. There's big ones for long run stuff and little ones for stuff like what I was using the cordless ratchet for today, taking exhaust manifolds off and on. Now I take every opportunity to buy another every time I need to do something my not-as-good-as-they-were hands complain about.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 09:13 PM   #49
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3PedalJake View Post
Sometimes I look at my wife wistfully and say "wifie.... I love my power tools". She rolls her eyes but if she only knew. I've had Ryobi One 18V stuff since it was blue and came with ni-cad batteries. It all still works (except the ni-cads). I started adding to my collection but also really fell in love with the Milwaukee stuff for what you mentioned, the battery form factor. There's big ones for long run stuff and little ones for stuff like what I was using the cordless ratchet for today, taking exhaust manifolds off and on. Now I take every opportunity to buy another every time I need to do something my not-as-good-as-they-were hands complain about.
Watching one of the NFL games today. A Craftsman commerical came on; had a nice red tool box. I looked at my wife and said, "Anything you see in that commerical, I already have." She just laughed.

I'd have more Milwaukee stuff like you, but I still have air tools for most of what you show in the pic. Nice collection though. Love the M12 stuff.
Appreciate 1
3PedalJake2613.50
      12-06-2020, 11:23 PM   #50
3PedalJake
Neo-Luddite
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i, 330i 6MT RWD Sport

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Watching one of the NFL games today. A Craftsman commerical came on; had a nice red tool box. I looked at my wife and said, "Anything you see in that commerical, I already have." She just laughed.

I'd have more Milwaukee stuff like you, but I still have air tools for most of what you show in the pic. Nice collection though. Love the M12 stuff.
Thx. I got addicted to air tools when I was lucky enough to have access to a real shop for the first time in my life building a 6.0 F-350, before that it was hand tools and ratchets on jackstands in the driveway. Now I have a real garage for the first time in my life, so while it's not a full lift and air-tool ready compressor I'm living the dream with my quick-jack and electric tools.

Edit: I actually have the air tools, just not enough electric service to run a decent compressor. Someday as I say to the wifie,,,

Last edited by 3PedalJake; 12-06-2020 at 11:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 08:01 PM   #51
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosphericM View Post
I believe these "splash shields" contribute to the aerodynamics of our cars. The air underneath is really important as well as the air over the auto.

I could be wrong though.

Either way.. that's part of wrenching dude. I feel you though.
You are not wrong. If they didn't serve a useful purpose, BMW would not spend the money to have them there in the first place.

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2020, 08:21 PM   #52
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
Quote:
Love my Bosch impact 12v and Milwaukee Fuel 12v drill. Both have incredibly long batteries, are shockingly strong and are super light which makes them easy to use.

If I add one more tool it would be an 18v impact and I’d have pretty much all I need. Just very rarely need 18v type power.
I might have a minor addiction to yellow battery powered tools. I have a half dozen of the big batteries and the wall mount charger for them too. Great system, if $pendy. They have great Black Friday sales every year though, I got the vacuum and the router this year. Though oddly enough I do not have the impact driver - I have air tools for that - but I never use anything but a 1/4" ratchet to take the belly pan bolts off with.

This is my FL garage - when I bought this place and started buying tools, I decided to do it right and consistently. My garage in ME is mostly corded tools and mis-matched cordless. I have FAR more mechanic type tools up there, but more and better woodworking type tools down here. I just buy mechanic tools as I need them, and since I am not doing any major car projects here I just have the basics plus a few specialty things specific to the cars here.

Wall of Dewalt by kevinr1916, on Flickr

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 2
3PedalJake2613.50
tlow982188.00
      12-08-2020, 01:03 PM   #53
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Quote:

Good tips with the lights - I need some of those. Love the battery sharing.

Side Note - Did those bed bolts on your buddy's truck come out easily? I've fought a few of those. Never seems to go as well as I hope... Le sigh.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 04:26 PM   #54
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Lightbulb

Quote:
Good tips with the lights - I need some of those. Love the battery sharing.

Side Note - Did those bed bolts on your buddy's truck come out easily? I've fought a few of those. Never seems to go as well as I hope... Le sigh.
Well the bed bolts came out pretty easily but we sprayed them with Kroil first and I should have hit them from underneath too, because the threads were still dry and rusty. But the trick is to use a big impact gun. I have an Ingersol 2131 that is supposed to have 1000 foot-pounds of "nut-busting torque". It does too, ran the bed bolts right out; they are a T-55. Get a square purchase on the Torx fastener and let the gun do its job. Used just one hand on the gun. Lol. Jack said, "The internet videos show guys using a breaker bar." I said, "Yeah, well, we don't do that here. Lol."

If we had tried with a T-55 and a breaker bar, I'm sure at least one bolthead would have stripped. While I like the electric stuff, sometimes compressed air is just better. We used silver anti-sieze on the threads on the way back in. If I ever get a new pickup, first order of business is running out the bed bolts and running them back in with anti-sieze.
Appreciate 1
tlow982188.00
      12-08-2020, 04:34 PM   #55
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

If I spent anywhere near what I've got in photo gear, I might have a decent set of tools. And no, I don't mind the belly pans because they add a layer of protection to the engine area.
      12-08-2020, 04:35 PM   #56
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by krhodes1 View Post
I might have a minor addiction to yellow battery powered tools. I have a half dozen of the big batteries and the wall mount charger for them too. Great system, if $pendy. They have great Black Friday sales every year though, I got the vacuum and the router this year. Though oddly enough I do not have the impact driver - I have air tools for that - but I never use anything but a 1/4" ratchet to take the belly pan bolts off with.

This is my FL garage - when I bought this place and started buying tools, I decided to do it right and consistently. My garage in ME is mostly corded tools and mis-matched cordless. I have FAR more mechanic type tools up there, but more and better woodworking type tools down here. I just buy mechanic tools as I need them, and since I am not doing any major car projects here I just have the basics plus a few specialty things specific to the cars here.

Wall of Dewalt by kevinr1916, on Flickr
Just kinda gives you a "woodie", now doesn't
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 04:37 PM   #57
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You are not wrong. If they didn't serve a useful purpose, BMW would not spend the money to have them there in the first place.
Exactly.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 10:28 PM   #58
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Quote:

vinr1916[/url], on Flickr
I messed up a bit by buying different brands but wanted to test them out as it was a purchase for work anyway. Now I'm stuck with two chargers yadda yadda. I know what your ME tool assortment feels like.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2022, 09:23 AM   #59
hi rpm
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive Coupe

A cordless ratchet is a life saver for this and every other car job, and its low torque is only capable of ruining the weakest fasteners. Give it a light squeeze until it stops, then finish by hand. I have the basic M12. That, a breaker bar, and a torque wrench is an all-around kit.

I have an impact driver but it wants to break stuff.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2022, 12:39 PM   #60
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
But more so the fender inner liners.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2022, 02:42 PM   #61
ryan stewart
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 328it

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi rpm View Post
A cordless ratchet is a life saver for this and every other car job, and its low torque is only capable of ruining the weakest fasteners. Give it a light squeeze until it stops, then finish by hand. I have the basic M12. That, a breaker bar, and a torque wrench is an all-around kit.

I have an impact driver but it wants to break stuff.
Love mine too, have a 3/8 and 1/4". Mine are ryobi which the main bummer is the big battery but the head rotates to help compensate. Mainly went ryobi because they had other compatible things I wanted that big red didn't, otherwise I would have gone with the red.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2022, 06:18 PM   #62
hi rpm
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan stewart View Post
Love mine too, have a 3/8 and 1/4". Mine are ryobi which the main bummer is the big battery but the head rotates to help compensate. Mainly went ryobi because they had other compatible things I wanted that big red didn't, otherwise I would have gone with the red.
First world problems, right? I got the M12 on discount plus a free 6AH battery. But the battery was a little big so I got the Surge driver which came with two small 2AH, and did the switcheroo.
Appreciate 0