E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > New subwoofer and aftermarket radio with no SOUND? please Hep!

11-21-2009, 07:20 PM   #1
xxvietboizxx
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92

New subwoofer and aftermarket radio with no SOUND? please Hep!

Guys,

I need some help! I installed an aftermarket headunit (KTV-614) and a subwoofer from BSW. The radio works and so does the subwoofer, however, there seem to be no audio coming out from my car speakers. Only the subwoofer have sound coming out of it. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Did I miss something?? Please help!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2009, 04:38 PM   #2
djjuhstin
Rep
Drives: 328i

the factory amp is not powered on. assuming your using an aftermarket amp with your new sub, the sub is the only one playing because its being turned on by the radio.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2009, 08:14 AM   #3
xxvietboizxx
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjuhstin View Post
the factory amp is not powered on. assuming your using an aftermarket amp with your new sub, the sub is the only one playing because its being turned on by the radio.
How would I turn it on? I ran the cables correctly to the new harness into the car harness. There's only wires for speakers, 12+, and ground. When I put my radio back in the speakers would work again. How would I send power to the factory amp with the new head unit?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2009, 08:21 AM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxvietboizxx View Post
How would I turn it on? I ran the cables correctly to the new harness into the car harness. There's only wires for speakers, 12+, and ground. When I put my radio back in the speakers would work again. How would I send power to the factory amp with the new head unit?
You missed pin 13 in that harness that you used, that's the remote signal to turn on the OEM amp.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2009, 10:03 AM   #5
xxvietboizxx
Enlisted Member
Rep

Technic,

You're right, I did not connect that cable to anything. Maybe that's why its not powering the amp. However, since it's an "antenna remote on" cable, will the amp still remain on if I switch it to another source? Like a DVD or CD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
You missed pin 13 in that harness that you used, that's the remote signal to turn on the OEM amp.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2009, 03:43 AM   #6
djjuhstin
Rep
Drives: 328i

if you use an antenna remote (solid blue wire), the amp will only turn on with the radio and will turn off with any other source. if your radio does not have an amp turn on wire (blue w/white stripe) you can use a relay to create one or use an accessory to power on the amp; however, you may get a popping sound out of your speakers if you use an accessory wire.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2009, 08:55 AM   #7
xxvietboizxx
Enlisted Member
Rep

I connected the antenna remote on to the blue w/white stripe cable and everything works!! Amp is still powered even when I switch to a different soure. Thanks a lot for helping me!! I really love my new system and I appreciate all that helped!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjuhstin View Post
if you use an antenna remote (solid blue wire), the amp will only turn on with the radio and will turn off with any other source. if your radio does not have an amp turn on wire (blue w/white stripe) you can use a relay to create one or use an accessory to power on the amp; however, you may get a popping sound out of your speakers if you use an accessory wire.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 07:55 PM   #8
scanlangsb
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

I start off by fist saying" I'm sorry" in advanced. new-be to the BMW world.
I am having problems with my after market HU. I could not get it to turn on unless i ran direct power to it. I tried touching the other wire (red) that would turn the HU on to others but got nothing. the only way i could get it to turn on was connecting it along w/ the yellow wire (constant 12v). so of course it does not turn off as well. any ideas?

I was told on my e90 i had to wire the stock HU to the trunk to keep my door chims, and other functions; i dont know sounds crazy but i did it. this was done and it turns on and off with the car. unlike the head unit.

I was also told i had to hook up an after market amp to the car. is this not true?
do all i have to do is tap into pin 13 with the remote wire from my aftermarket HU?
Appreciate 0