E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Car wont start from 1 day to another

02-05-2020, 09:18 AM   #1
GFX8
Rep
Drives: e92

Car wont start from 1 day to another

Hello,
Symptoms are as followed, a last week, I left my car sit for about 3 days without driving it, when I got in it on Monday to start it, it had a slow hesitation, but it started, the car drove fine, got to work, did my hours, when I left, it had a small hesitation to start but it did. Before getting home i decided to get some dinner a local restaurant, stopped parked the car and ordered my food, roughly took 10 mins to get my order and jump back in the car.

But this time, the car would not start, all the lights turned on but no crank, So i had a jumper pack, tried jumping it and no cigar, I had someone from the restaurant help me push the car since its a manual, clutch kicked it and started right up. Am I looking at a bad starter here? or should i start looking at something else? does the clutch pedal have a sensor that can go bad? but it did start with a clutch kick... many thanks in advance.
07 328i n52 6 speed.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 10:07 AM   #2
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

Starters definitely go bad on these. I just helped a buddy change his it went out at 85k miles on his 2009.

Swing by the auto parts store and ask them to do a load test on your battery and alternator. If those pass then 99% your starter is going.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 10:42 AM   #3
GFX8
Rep

Thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 10:46 AM   #4
GFX8
Rep

We did a load test on the battery, it showing a healthy battery. Does the DME not throw any codes for failing Starter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
Starters definitely go bad on these. I just helped a buddy change his it went out at 85k miles on his 2009.

Swing by the auto parts store and ask them to do a load test on your battery and alternator. If those pass then 99% your starter is going.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 01:15 PM   #5
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFX8 View Post
We did a load test on the battery, it showing a healthy battery. Does the DME not throw any codes for failing Starter?
My buddy had no codes. We tested the battery and the power wires to the starter and they were fine, so we figured it had to be the starter and it was.

Same symptoms as yours btw, weak crank a few times and then no crank.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 01:44 PM   #6
GFX8
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
My buddy had no codes. We tested the battery and the power wires to the starter and they were fine, so we figured it had to be the starter and it was.

Same symptoms as yours btw, weak crank a few times and then no crank.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 06:04 PM   #7
phillycx
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i sedan

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I had similar symptoms that lasted for some time on my 09' 328i N52 with 126,000 miles. This Monday it hard started and the next time I went to start the car...nothing. All the electric items were intact and working. Took her to my local BMW shop (Baltimore Motor Works) where they load tested it and sure enough it was the starter. $$$ later it's working fine. Probably your starter. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 06:06 PM   #8
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

the only code you may get is a no torque code or something.

My starter failed suddenly and without warning ni the middle of a trip.
It had started the car half a dozen times that morning without a hint of problems, but was completely done when I stopped at a rest area.

unfortunately push starting was not an option for me, so it rode a flatebd and got a starter in a hotel parking lot in the next town over.

so they do fail suddenly and without warning. if your grounds and primary battery cables look fine and you've got 12V to the jump start post, it's probably the stater.
It's kind of a PITA, but we'd never taken the intake manifold off and it got done in three hours, in the rain, in a parking lot.

buy a tear drop shaped flex head ratchet.
you'll thank me later.
you need to to get the e torx socket on the rear facing bolt and have the handle clear the firewall.

pelican has a great DIY on their site.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 02:11 PM   #9
GFX8
Rep

Thanks for the reply, It was indeed the Starter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
the only code you may get is a no torque code or something.

My starter failed suddenly and without warning ni the middle of a trip.
It had started the car half a dozen times that morning without a hint of problems, but was completely done when I stopped at a rest area.

unfortunately push starting was not an option for me, so it rode a flatebd and got a starter in a hotel parking lot in the next town over.

so they do fail suddenly and without warning. if your grounds and primary battery cables look fine and you've got 12V to the jump start post, it's probably the stater.
It's kind of a PITA, but we'd never taken the intake manifold off and it got done in three hours, in the rain, in a parking lot.

buy a tear drop shaped flex head ratchet.
you'll thank me later.
you need to to get the e torx socket on the rear facing bolt and have the handle clear the firewall.

pelican has a great DIY on their site.
Appreciate 0