E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Possible TAB Symptoms?

02-26-2020, 11:49 PM   #1
e92_bron
Rep
Drives: 335i e92

Possible TAB Symptoms?

Hello,

I've had this issue with my e92 non-m for a while now but have progressively gotten worse so I figure its time to fix it before something catastrophic happens.

The car handles as it should during slower speeds but @ 40 mph during slight left turns the wheel-well on the front passenger side will begin to make a banging noise for as long as I have the car turning in that direction. This same sound will occur during braking at high speeds, for example, while cruising on the freeway at 70 mph and I need to brake, the same wobbling and banging sound will happen until I have reached the speed I need to slow down to or I let go of my brake and apply it more gently.

I took my car in to the tire shop to get some new tires put in and they mentioned that one of the bolts in the passenger side front control arms were hand tight at best, I would imagine all of the banging and wobbling in that area played a factor in loosening that nut, however, they essentially wanted $180.00 to "inspect" the issue because simply tightening it back up for the meantime is a liability thing, whatever. I'm not paying $180.00 for someone to tighten a bolt on my car.

I did a bit of some self educating and get the sense that it most likely is the TAB.

Now, Am I on the right track that it most likely is a thrust arm bushing that has worn out and needs replacement? When I take the wheel off what are some signs I should look for and while I'm at it, what are some things that I should be replacing or you might suggest I upgrade to make my experience with this car better? When I bought the car, I briefly remember the previous owner mentioning that he had replaced the non-m control arms with m3 ones but I could be completely wrong. What are some distinguishable differences between the two so I don't order non-m bushings when I have m3 control arms...

Thanks for reading and any help or suggestion is much appreciated!

B
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 09:35 AM   #2
skaper
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 N55 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92_bron View Post
Hello,

When I bought the car, I briefly remember the previous owner mentioning that he had replaced the non-m control arms with m3 ones but I could be completely wrong. What are some distinguishable differences between the two so I don't order non-m bushings when I have m3 control arms...

Thanks for reading and any help or suggestion is much appreciated!

B

They should have the "M" logo on them but if they are TRW, they are shaved off and you should be able to see where it was shaved. This DIY shows some pretty good photos that also show other differences between the two...

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788761

Wagner Evo 1 IC // Active Autowerke CP // JB4 + BEF // CAtuned Coilovers // AR Design D/P // Future Classic Spacers // E46 OE CSL Wheels // (PURE Stage 2 w/ wedge next!)

Last edited by skaper; 02-27-2020 at 09:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 11:59 AM   #3
e92_bron
Rep
Drives: 335i e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaper View Post
They should have the "M" logo on them but if they are TRW, they are shaved off and you should be able to see where it was shaved. This DIY shows some pretty good photos that also show other differences between the two...

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788761
Great, thanks! Can someone tell me what are some tell-tale signs that the bushings are starting to give and are due for replacement?

Currently I got my eyes on these : https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-2...9-e90-e92-e93/

Can anyone recommend something better in terms of price and/or performance? And also, should I replace the lower control arm bushings as well?

Last edited by e92_bron; 02-27-2020 at 12:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 04:03 AM   #4
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

The M lower control arm or camber arm looks like a banana and has a balljoint at both ends. You can grab it and rock it side to side. Non-M is only balljointed at the knuckle end.

The M upper control arm, tension strut, caster arm, trailing arm or whatever you want to call it has a solid rubber bush at the subframe end. Non-M has an oil filled bush that will leak when blown.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 06:57 AM   #5
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

How about you tow that death trap back to a shop who can actually see and touch the car to diagnose it properly, before you kill yourself, or worse, someone else.

The thing is wobbling and banging? Critical suspension components are hand tight? It's progressively gotten worse and you've ignored it? WTF?
Appreciate 0