E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Seat belt extender disabled - How to enable?

08-06-2018, 10:12 PM   #23
GATORB8
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyphertext View Post
Weren't those called belt assist?
Realoem and TIS call the assembly or parts Belt Extender, Belt Handover, and Belt Positioner.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 03:51 PM   #24
Hotter
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 328i -> 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
On my 2007 E91, my FRM module is FRM 70 as opposed to FRM 87, and I have BOTH those choices in the Body/Karosserie Menu. Of course I do NOT have seat belt extenders, so can't say if you can operate them with Activations (Steuern) F6 once you connect to the FRM. If the motors are somehow electrically disconnected, or the LIN BUS signal to each is interrupted/ disconnected, then you will NOT be able to activate via INPA.

What you CAN do is use "Functional Jobs" which you can select as soon as you connect your cable & laptop to the OBD II socket with ignition on. Select E90 and the screen that appears has "Functional Jobs" in the Right-hand Listbox. Just tab and cursor to highlight 'Functional Jobs' and press Enter.

The next screen that appears is the Functional Jobs Menu or Hauptmenu. There are TWO (2) things you want to do in that Menu:
(1) F2 Identification lists ALL the modules in the vehicle and gives identification info for each (such as FRM 70, or FRM 87 for that module).

(2) Read Error Memory in ALL modules (F4 Error Memory or Feherspeicher -- F1 Read Error Memory or Fehlerspeicher Lesen). That step will list the Fault Code(s) found in ANY module in the vehicle, so even if you can't connect directly to the FRM due to missing files in your installation of INPA, you MAY be able to at least see if there is any Fault Code in the FRM using Functional Jobs.

F2, Identification, in Functional Jobs:
Highlight "Functional Jobs in right-hand listbox & press Enter;
In the next screen that appears, select "F2 (Identification)" and you will see a list of ALL Modules in the vehicle. If the list does NOT load fully (should be ~ 20 modules listed -- ~ 20 lines, each with module information) press F2 again -- several times if necessary, or hold the F2 key down for at least one full second.

Each module has a 2-digit ADR or address. What you are looking for is the ADR for FRM. My 2007 E91 says: 78 (ADR), FRM for "Grobname/ name", and "FRM 70" for SGBD ('Control Device Description File' or abbreviation used for that module).

See what you get trying the above connected to your OBD II socket, and we can take it from there.

George
Sorry for long wait, I was on holidays.

I have tried with different version of INPA which seems to have FRM 87 version files, but it wrote that I need FRM 70:

Also this is confirmed by identification:

And this is errors:

FRM does not have errors? Do you see any other bad errors?

Last edited by Hotter; 08-12-2018 at 03:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 09:09 PM   #25
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotter View Post
...I have tried with different version of INPA which seems to have FRM 87 version files, but it wrote that I need FRM 70:
...Do you see any other bad errors?
I WILL attach a screenprint of my Listbox showing the two FRM Variants which may be selected (FRM 70 & FRM 87). I'll put that on the next post so as NOT to screw up the page width. My 2007 E91 has the FRM 70 like yours, and I get a similar error message if I select FRM 87 and try to connect. That error message is saying it can't connect to FRM 87, BUT it finds FRM 70.

HOWEVER, it won't automatically connect to FRM 70 when you select the other module -- it gives you the error message and you have to go back to the list box and select FRM 70 (the SECOND FRM line in the Listbox). SOOOO:
1) do you have the FRM 70 choice to select in the right-hand Listbox?
2) have you tried selecting that?

You won't have any fault code(s) saved in FRM 70 when you DO connect to it, or the numbers would be in the Functional Jobs ALL MODULES printout you posted. You CAN get more details about the 3 faults you have in the DME (all 3 of which appear to be related to "quiescent current" or parasitic battery drain when engine is off and everything is supposed to be "sleeping." Those codes MAY NOT be present NOW, but simply not cleared from earlier issues, or related to intermittent issues. Copy/ Save all the Fault Details available, clear the faults, and see if they return. Connect to DME (MSV80) to get Fault Code Definitions and Details (select F3, Freeze Frame).

Not sure what the KOMBI fault is, but you may have a CC-ID# you can read with "Check Control" using the B/C buttons on the turn indicator stalk. Once again, connecting to Body/Karosserie | Instrument Cluster and selecting F4 | Fault Memory/Fehlerspeicher will give you fault definition & details.

Using F5, "Status," or F6, "Activations or Steuern" in FRM 70 MAY give you some diagnostics or testing ability for the Extender Motors, but you may have to just manually test using a multimeter and the diagram as suggested/ linked in post #17 above.

Please let us know what you find,
George
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 09:11 PM   #26
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

INPA Listbox: Body | FRM 70

Listbox ScreenPrint attached.

George
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Hotter72.00
      08-13-2018, 02:38 PM   #27
Hotter
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I WILL attach a screenprint of my Listbox showing the two FRM Variants which may be selected (FRM 70 & FRM 87). I'll put that on the next post so as NOT to screw up the page width. My 2007 E91 has the FRM 70 like yours, and I get a similar error message if I select FRM 87 and try to connect. That error message is saying it can't connect to FRM 87, BUT it finds FRM 70.

HOWEVER, it won't automatically connect to FRM 70 when you select the other module -- it gives you the error message and you have to go back to the list box and select FRM 70 (the SECOND FRM line in the Listbox). SOOOO:
1) do you have the FRM 70 choice to select in the right-hand Listbox?
2) have you tried selecting that?

You won't have any fault code(s) saved in FRM 70 when you DO connect to it, or the numbers would be in the Functional Jobs ALL MODULES printout you posted. You CAN get more details about the 3 faults you have in the DME (all 3 of which appear to be related to "quiescent current" or parasitic battery drain when engine is off and everything is supposed to be "sleeping." Those codes MAY NOT be present NOW, but simply not cleared from earlier issues, or related to intermittent issues. Copy/ Save all the Fault Details available, clear the faults, and see if they return. Connect to DME (MSV80) to get Fault Code Definitions and Details (select F3, Freeze Frame).

Not sure what the KOMBI fault is, but you may have a CC-ID# you can read with "Check Control" using the B/C buttons on the turn indicator stalk. Once again, connecting to Body/Karosserie | Instrument Cluster and selecting F4 | Fault Memory/Fehlerspeicher will give you fault definition & details.

Using F5, "Status," or F6, "Activations or Steuern" in FRM 70 MAY give you some diagnostics or testing ability for the Extender Motors, but you may have to just manually test using a multimeter and the diagram as suggested/ linked in post #17 above.

George
I did not have FRM_70 choice in INPA, so I did this:
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=12
It added FRM_70 in config. I launched it and got few warnings like this:

After that I got into this window:

But as you said there is no errors and it does not look that I can activate anything... so I think its dead end?
So, I guess I need to manually test using a multimeter as suggested. I might try to do that on weekend, because I need to remove all side panel again... I guess I will need to leave it open for testing.

Last edited by Hotter; 08-13-2018 at 02:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 05:34 PM   #28
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I did not have FRM_70 choice in INPA, so I did this...I launched it and got few warnings like this...After that I got into this window:

But as you said there is no errors and it does not look that I can activate anything... so I think its dead end?
So, I guess I need to manually test using a multimeter as suggested. I might try to do that on weekend, because I need to remove all side panel again... I guess I will need to leave it open for testing.
*** Attachments mentioned below are made to Separate Post Following***
(to keep from expanding page width with jpg attachments)

Your INPA installation is missing a few things, or contains mismatched files apparently. I'm no computer software engineer, so I can't say what files are missing or mismatched. I don't know whether you are missing program files or Daten files, but my SWAG would be the latter. You might try to identify the best, most complete, latest Daten files (BimmerGeeks perhaps) and download/ reinstall those.

What I CAN say is that FRM 70 Main Menu DOES contain F5, Status; and also F6 Activations/Steuern like most other Module Menus. Specifically what MIGHT help you are the following:
1) In F5 (Status) | F7 (Gurtbringer) there is diagnostic information available (when connected to coupe or convertible models with that equipment), but I don't have that screen. See F5 Status Menu screenprint attached.
2) In F6 (Activations/Steuern) | F5 (Gurtbringer) there are activations available, when connected. Once again, when connected to my E91 I can't get that screen. See F6 Steurn Menu screenprint attached.

Finally, attached is a screenprint of the FRM 70 Main Menu which shows everything that should be available with a proper installation.

I would suggest doing a reinstall of INPA in your "spare time" this week, as having a fully-functional INPA is a separate issue from diagnosing your belt issue which can almost certainly be diagnosed with a multimeter and circuit diagram. It's just that with INPA, you may be able to diagnose it quicker and without dismantling as much. The system has probably been disabled in some way, so figuring out HOW/WHERE it is disabled, and WHY it was disabled (what is going to need replacing) will probably require dismantling anyway.

George
Appreciate 1
Hotter72.00
      08-13-2018, 05:36 PM   #29
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

INPA FRM 70 Menu Screens

Attached as referenced in prior post;

George
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 08:21 AM   #30
Hotter
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Your INPA installation is missing a few things, or contains mismatched files apparently. I'm no computer software engineer, so I can't say what files are missing or mismatched. I don't know whether you are missing program files or Daten files, but my SWAG would be the latter. You might try to identify the best, most complete, latest Daten files (BimmerGeeks perhaps) and download/ reinstall those.

What I CAN say is that FRM 70 Main Menu DOES contain F5, Status; and also F6 Activations/Steuern like most other Module Menus. Specifically what MIGHT help you are the following:
1) In F5 (Status) | F7 (Gurtbringer) there is diagnostic information available (when connected to coupe or convertible models with that equipment), but I don't have that screen. See F5 Status Menu screenprint attached.
2) In F6 (Activations/Steuern) | F5 (Gurtbringer) there are activations available, when connected. Once again, when connected to my E91 I can't get that screen. See F6 Steurn Menu screenprint attached.

Finally, attached is a screenprint of the FRM 70 Main Menu which shows everything that should be available with a proper installation.

I would suggest doing a reinstall of INPA in your "spare time" this week, as having a fully-functional INPA is a separate issue from diagnosing your belt issue which can almost certainly be diagnosed with a multimeter and circuit diagram. It's just that with INPA, you may be able to diagnose it quicker and without dismantling as much. The system has probably been disabled in some way, so figuring out HOW/WHERE it is disabled, and WHY it was disabled (what is going to need replacing) will probably require dismantling anyway.

George
So I donwloaded INPA from BimmerGeeks. It has FRM 70 so I selected it, I got this error:

Not sure if this error is critical or not. Where did you get your INPA from? Maybe you have matching version?

Anyway I continued testing. I selected "Status Belt conveyor" it says that its reached final position, but nothing is shown on bars, maybe its because its at zero:

I did the same with fuse 30 removed and results were different:

So it seems that fuse 30 does its thing and supplies power to seat belt extender controller unit.

After that I tried to "Activate Belt conveyor" from INPA (with and without fuse):

but it does nothing. No sound, no movement, nothing.

So what could this mean? Both seat belt extender motors are dead? Cable from FRM is cut? Would it be able to get seat belt position without that cable?

P.S. I also noticed this error in "Errors -> Read information memory":

Last edited by Hotter; 08-15-2018 at 08:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 07:28 PM   #31
Dabrwright
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E92 335i V. Red/SB

Garage List
Having followed this thread and disabled the seat belt handover several years ago using Carly, I checked the settings I changed.
I found that there were 3 values that were changed to 'not active'
One for both sides and one each for driver and passenger sides.
I have not used any other software but I noticed you only tried changing 2 values

Just an observation which may be relevant?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 09:03 AM   #32
Hotter
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabrwright View Post
Having followed this thread and disabled the seat belt handover several years ago using Carly, I checked the settings I changed.
I found that there were 3 values that were changed to 'not active'
One for both sides and one each for driver and passenger sides.
I have not used any other software but I noticed you only tried changing 2 values

Just an observation which may be relevant?
And how is that 3rd value called?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 11:32 AM   #33
Dabrwright
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E92 335i V. Red/SB

Garage List
Unfortunately Carly does not give the actual description but just a general heading
All 3 values are in the FRM module with the following descriptions:

Seatbelt handover. Active/inactive
Seatbelt handover driver. Active/inactive
Seatbelt handover passenger. Active/inactive

I'll see if I can find more info
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 02:00 PM   #34
Hotter
First Lieutenant
Rep

These are my NFRM trc file values:

maybe someone can compare with theirs values?
I attached all TRC file.

But still I think seat belt extender would initialize with INPA even if they would be disabled in NFRM, so I dont think its a coding issue.
Attached Files
File Type: txt NFRM_FSW_PSW.TRC.txt (36.0 KB, 79 views)
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 04:46 PM   #35
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
...I selected "Status Belt conveyor" it says that its reached final position, but nothing is shown on bars, maybe its because its at zero:

I did the same with fuse 30 removed and results were different. So it seems that fuse 30 does its thing and supplies power to seat belt extender controller unit.

After that I tried to "Activate Belt conveyor" from INPA (with and without fuse): but it does nothing. No sound, no movement, nothing...
P.S. I also noticed this error in "Errors -> Read information memory":
My best guess from what you have attached:
1) The belt Controller Modules (BOTH sides) are OK, as (when F30 installed) you get position readout, but NOT when F30 is pulled (?)
2) Belt Extender Motors are NOT functioning when you try to Activate using F3, Activate/Extend Belt Conveyer in F6 (Activations/Steuern).
3) You have a Fault in the Belt Extender circuit which the FRM treats as a "short circuit" and after a certain number of reported "shorts", the FRM disables that circuit. That is my best guess from your last screen, Fault Code 9300, and just scanning some discussion found doing a Google Search on "BMW Code 9300":
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=866044

That thread appears to contain info on how to use Tool 32 to identify the circuit with a fault, but if that is why the FRM has disabled the Belt Extender circuit, then you already know what circuit the fault is in -- you just don't know WHERE in that circuit, and need to devise, or get advice on, how best to test the entire circuit.

THIS IS A GUESS, IT IS ONLY A GUESS: I have NOT personally had this issue nor have I fully researched it; JUST a suggestion of something to check out.

4) I would access the belt motors and test for short in each motor (compare ohms readings, pins #4  for each motor). If OK as far as short is concerned, then "hotwire each (reversing polarity as you would on window motor up/down, to reverse extend/retract).

5) If both motors are OK for no short, and both work in each direction, then you likely have a short in the circuit somewhere between the FRM and the motors, at least on ONE side. Since you do NOT know the history of this fault, it is possible that whatever caused the "short" has been corrected, but the prior owner did NOT know how to reset the fault counter to enable the belt extender function.

Since my model has NO belt extenders, I have NO experience with the system.

George
Appreciate 1
Hotter72.00
      08-21-2018, 02:05 PM   #36
Hotter
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
1) The belt Controller Modules (BOTH sides) are OK, as (when F30 installed) you get position readout, but NOT when F30 is pulled (?)
2) Belt Extender Motors are NOT functioning when you try to Activate using F3, Activate/Extend Belt Conveyer in F6 (Activations/Steuern).
3) You have a Fault in the Belt Extender circuit which the FRM treats as a "short circuit" and after a certain number of reported "shorts", the FRM disables that circuit. That is my best guess from your last screen, Fault Code 9300, and just scanning some discussion found doing a Google Search on "BMW Code 9300":

That thread appears to contain info on how to use Tool 32 to identify the circuit with a fault, but if that is why the FRM has disabled the Belt Extender circuit, then you already know what circuit the fault is in -- you just don't know WHERE in that circuit, and need to devise, or get advice on, how best to test the entire circuit.

THIS IS A GUESS, IT IS ONLY A GUESS: I have NOT personally had this issue nor have I fully researched it; JUST a suggestion of something to check out.

4) I would access the belt motors and test for short in each motor (compare ohms readings, pins #4  for each motor). If OK as far as short is concerned, then "hotwire each (reversing polarity as you would on window motor up/down, to reverse extend/retract).

5) If both motors are OK for no short, and both work in each direction, then you likely have a short in the circuit somewhere between the FRM and the motors, at least on ONE side. Since you do NOT know the history of this fault, it is possible that whatever caused the "short" has been corrected, but the prior owner did NOT know how to reset the fault counter to enable the belt extender function.

George
I have not found much information about 9330 error. Only things like this in russian:
https://www.drive2.ru/l/487624337021469152/
And that still does not make clear what does that error mean?
From that post it seems that 9330 error is more like a warning than an error, and means that FRM soon might die. (this error is found in "read information memory", not in F1 "read errors").
Anzahl toter EEE-Sektoren zu hoch = Number of dead EEE sectors too high
Is this short circuit error description?

So I guess that's too much work for seat belt extender which I just want to try it out and that does not guarantee that I will find root cause...
Resetting FRM is dangerous (don't want to brick it or something...) and even more dangerous if short circuit is still there?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 10:02 AM   #37
Hotter
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

4) I would access the belt motors and test for short in each motor (compare ohms readings, pins #4 for each motor). If OK as far as short is concerned, then "hotwire each (reversing polarity as you would on window motor up/down, to reverse extend/retract).

George
So I was still thinking about my seat belt extenders and I found this video:

It seems that its quite easy to check if circuit is blocked by FRM, so I would like to try to see that.

Do you know which menu is for seat belt extender to check the status is it blocked 50 times?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 09:36 AM   #38
Hotter
First Lieutenant
Rep

So I viewed all menus in Tool32 when selected module FRM70 and I did not find short circuit for seat belt extenders. I dont think that seat belt extenders have short circuit check, only bulbs do.

However I found some interesting menus like:

I ran them, but I dont know if those can say anything useful:
Code:
apiJob("FRM_70","status_gurtbringer","","stat_pos_gurtbringer_fahrer_wert;stat_pos_gurtbringer_beifahrer_wert;stat_gurtbringer_fahrer_endlage_2_wert;stat_gurtbringer_beifahrer_endlage_2_wert")

Satz : 0
  OBJECT                          = frm_70
  SAETZE                          = 1
  JOBNAME                         = status_gurtbringer
  VARIANTE                        = FRM_70
  JOBSTATUS                       = 
  UBATTCURRENT                    = -1
  UBATTHISTORY                    = -1
  IGNITIONCURRENT                 = -1
  IGNITIONHISTORY                 = -1
Satz : 1
  STAT_POS_GURTBRINGER_FAHRER_WERT = 0                 00 00  ..                    
  STAT_POS_GURTBRINGER_BEIFAHRER_WERT = 0                 00 00  ..                    
  STAT_GURTBRINGER_FAHRER_ENDLAGE_2_WERT = 3                 00 03  ..                    
  STAT_GURTBRINGER_BEIFAHRER_ENDLAGE_2_WERT = 3                 00 03  ..                    
  JOB_STATUS                      = OKAY

apiJob("FRM_70","read_gurtbringer_bf_ident","1","job_status;sw_version_gurtbringer;id_bmw_nr_gurtbringer;coding_index_gurtbringer;mcv_version_gurtbringer;_tel_auftrag;_tel_antwort")

Satz : 0
  OBJECT                          = frm_70
  SAETZE                          = 1
  JOBNAME                         = read_gurtbringer_bf_ident
  VARIANTE                        = FRM_70
  JOBSTATUS                       = 
  UBATTCURRENT                    = -1
  UBATTHISTORY                    = -1
  IGNITIONCURRENT                 = -1
  IGNITIONHISTORY                 = -1
Satz : 1
  JOB_STATUS                      = OKAY
  SW_VERSION_GURTBRINGER          = 010202
  ID_BMW_NR_GURTBRINGER           = 09167237
  CODING_INDEX_GURTBRINGER        = 03
  MCV_VERSION_GURTBRINGER         = 001525
Could it be that seat belt extenders do not work because of dying FRM (since it has error Number of dead EEE sectors too high)?
Any other thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 03:21 PM   #39
Hotter
First Lieutenant
Rep

Update:

Finally I took my side panel apart. Does any one know how cold I test wires and determine which place is faulty?

I think control unit is ok because it does not have any errors and does return seat belt extender position status as retracted. So the issue is either with the motor assembly or motor does not get signal to extend for some reason...

Motor has 4 wires, how could I test it?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 02:38 PM   #40
Hotter
First Lieutenant
Rep

Could anyone with working seat belt extenders do this INPA screenshot?

I am interested to see if you see position of seat belt extender.
I have tried moving seat belt extender manually and position did not change in INPA. So I wonder is module working correctly? In this screen I don't see position marked either, so would like to compare with working unit. Will working unit show position?

I also tried disconnecting motor and position unit, leaving only control unit connected and it was still showing the same. If I disconnect control unit completely I get communication with the unit error in INPA like it suppose to be.

What could be faulty:
1. control unit?
2. position sensors? (they would still allow for the motor to move so its not it?)
3. motor? (seems to be working, applied power on yellow and brown wires, motor is spinning!)
4. FRM cable to the unit?

Last edited by Hotter; 03-23-2019 at 02:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 05:57 PM   #41
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
...Motor has 4 wires, how could I test it?
Quote:
Could anyone with working seat belt extenders do this INPA screenshot?...I have tried moving seat belt extender manually and position did not change in INPA...What could be faulty...?
I don't have a coupe with "Seat Belt Hand-Over" (what it is called in NCS). However I see you've been trying to "Activate" the units for nearly 9 months, so I figure it might be a good time to start over.

1) In your initial post you said the prior owner "disabled" the units. Is there any way of contacting previous owner to determine HOW he disabled units?

2) WHAT event TRIGGERS/activates the belts as the system comes from the factory? Ignition ON??

3) WHAT OTHER EVENTS may be selected/coded to activate the belts?

4) Have you checked to see how EACH of those events is CODED (aktiv/nicht aktiv) in FRM using NCS Dummy?

In your first post you said both Driver & Passenger belts were enabled (aktiv). However, WHAT EVENT is supposed to make them present the belt? As I read NCS, there are THREE (3) different events that may be selected to make the Driver & Passenger "Hand-Overs" work, assuming both are "aktiv."

Those events are:
1) Seat Occupancy Detection; "GB_USE_SBE"
2) Switching on Accessories; "GB_TRIGGER_KL_R"
3) Switching on Ignition; "GB_TRIGGER_KL_15"

As I understand the system (simply by reading NCS, NOT owning coupe), if ALL 3 of the foregoing events are "nicht aktiv" then even if both Driver & Passenger Hand-Overs are "aktiv" nothing will happen. So use NCS Dummy to see if making one of those three Functions AKTIV, such as KL 15 (Ignition ON) changes anything.

As for the motor wiring to test a motor, here is the TIS circuit diagram for 328i Coupe >9/2007:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...tender/jaGpe2u

The motor wires are NOT color-coded in this schematic, but the 4-pin connectors appear to be wired the same way for each motor, with pins 4 & 5 being for motor 12V+ & Ground, reversing polarity to reverse motor direction. Since the other two are for the Hall/Position Sensors, I would be VERY careful how you test that so as NOT to ruin the Hall sensors. Hopefully, there are TINY pin numbers on the outboard edges of the connectors.

Hope you are becoming the local "Gurtbringer Expert."

George
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 02:09 AM   #42
Hotter
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
1) In your initial post you said the prior owner "disabled" the units. Is there any way of contacting previous owner to determine HOW he disabled units?
Previous owner said he removed the fuse... But I guess he did not know the problem him self and lied as the fuse is there and its good fuse, If I remove it seat belt extender system is not communicating with INPA any more, so fuse is ok.

Quote:
2) WHAT event TRIGGERS/activates the belts as the system comes from the factory? Ignition ON??
3) WHAT OTHER EVENTS may be selected/coded to activate the belts?
4) Have you checked to see how EACH of those events is CODED (aktiv/nicht aktiv) in FRM using NCS Dummy?

In your first post you said both Driver & Passenger belts were enabled (aktiv). However, WHAT EVENT is supposed to make them present the belt? As I read NCS, there are THREE (3) different events that may be selected to make the Driver & Passenger "Hand-Overs" work, assuming both are "aktiv."

Those events are:
1) Seat Occupancy Detection; "GB_USE_SBE"
2) Switching on Accessories; "GB_TRIGGER_KL_R"
3) Switching on Ignition; "GB_TRIGGER_KL_15"

As I understand the system (simply by reading NCS, NOT owning coupe), if ALL 3 of the foregoing events are "nicht aktiv" then even if both Driver & Passenger Hand-Overs are "aktiv" nothing will happen. So use NCS Dummy to see if making one of those three Functions AKTIV, such as KL 15 (Ignition ON) changes anything.
Yes I have checked that also, they are all set to active

Quote:
As for the motor wiring to test a motor, here is the TIS circuit diagram for 328i Coupe >9/2007:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...tender/jaGpe2u

The motor wires are NOT color-coded in this schematic, but the 4-pin connectors appear to be wired the same way for each motor, with pins 4 & 5 being for motor 12V+ & Ground, reversing polarity to reverse motor direction. Since the other two are for the Hall/Position Sensors, I would be VERY careful how you test that so as NOT to ruin the Hall sensors. Hopefully, there are TINY pin numbers on the outboard edges of the connectors.
Wiring diagram is really helpful. I find out pins are marked on the motor connector 4 (yellow) and 5 (brown). I applied 4.5V battery and it was enough to spin the motor. Motor is working ok and moving the arm.

How could I check LIN-BUS? If LIN-BUS was not connected how would FRM know about seat belt extender presence? So if we see the status in INPA of seat belt extender can we confirm that LIN-BUS is ok?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 02:36 PM   #43
Hotter
First Lieutenant
Rep

So everything seems to be ok?
1. Fuse 30 - checked - good (if fuse removed it generates error in FRM "no comunication with seatbelt extender controller")
2. FRM coding - checked - seat belt extender activated
3. LIN-BUS connection to seat belt extender - checked - FRM comunicates with seat belt extender controller, if controler is cut from LIN-BUS FRM generates error "no comunication with seatbelt extender controller"
4. Seat belt extender motor - checked - working, moves arm when applied power manualy.

My ideas what could be wrong:
1. FRM module gone "insane" and does not send commands to extend/retract seat belt extender? - not likely?
2. Both seat belt extender controllers gone insane, respond to FRM but do not activate motors? - not likely?
3. I checked drivers seat belt extender motor, but not passenger, could bad passenger motor cause both seat belt extenders not to work? - not likely?

I am out of reasonable ideas? seat belt extenders cursed?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 04:02 PM   #44
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

So if BOTH the motors and extenders function electrically & mechanically, the Motor is NOT getting activated by the FRM. I have forgotten if you used INPA to attempt to Activate the Belt Extenders (FRM > F6 > F5, Gurtbringer.

Since I have an E91, I don't know how that is supposed to work, but I would think that if you tried to Activate the extenders, and nothing happened, you would either get them to move, or would get SOME kind of feedback as to a fault condition.

If F6 Activations/Steuern will move either/both, then the FRM OUPUT side of the circuit is OK, and the INPUT or Trigger side of the system is the issue?? The INPUT side could be diagnosed using: FRM > F5, Status > F7, Gurtbringer. Just theorizing as I don't have that TOY to play/ struggle with.

You might also try to select just ONE trigger, e.g. KL 15 ON (Ignition ON) and try that with just ONE extender Aktiv at a time, just to isolate variables.

George
Appreciate 0