E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Cutting Holes in US Airbox = Induction Noise?

03-15-2019, 05:27 PM   #1
logantheodorou
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 328i

Cutting Holes in US Airbox = Induction Noise?

I was browsing an old thread when I found a forum member that described cutting holes in his US spec airbox for better induction sound(The aggressive WHOOSH noise that an AfE makes when you get on the throttle), much like the ones in the AfE Stage II intake airbox(see attatched)

original thread(I don't plan on putting on a cone filter): https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...ht=supersprint

These holes, correct me if I'm wrong, do not jepordize the amount of cold air getting through the filter and into the engine, because they are facing away from the engine.

If I were to do something similar to this, would it sound anything like an AfE intake, or am I way off?

I plan to do two airbox cutouts in the upper part of the airbox facing away from the engine(like the AfE intake), K&N (Panel Filter) drop in, Rev Motoring Silicone Intake Boot, and air scoops(because why not) for a throaty, agressive intake sound. That said, I'd rather not LOSE any power in the process.

I realize that gains will probably be negligable, I'm really looking for better sound while not jepordizing power. $500 is a lot for an intake, and I've always been a tinkerer at heart, could anyone offer any insight? Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 06:29 PM   #2
logantheodorou
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
So - a friend of mine wanted to do this exact same thing. I noted that it would result in no additional performance, specifically because the E9X platform is already using a 'cold air' induction through the front snorkel and this would impact that.

He agreed - however he did it anyways because he wanted the sound as you mention. The problem is, for some reason it created more of a "hum" than the proper induction sound I've heard before on other cars when I eventually rode with him in the car. Both of us were very disappointing and he promptly replaced it back to the original version.

YMMV, but I was very underwhelmed by the sound it made - it was terrible. I imagine this was due to the normal paper filter versus the conical filter being there, but who knows.
Thank you for the reply, I will definitley experiment with different kinds of filters now that you said that. Thank you for the valuable insight!

I really want to learn more about the AfE intake and "what makes it tick". After all, it does make a beautiful sound in the higher RPMs. Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 06:35 PM   #3
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37835

cut the silencer off the factory tube, or replace it.

if it's your goal to simply make it louder.
cost you like $5 at the hardware.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 07:13 PM   #4
logantheodorou
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37835

cut the silencer off the factory tube, or replace it.

if it's your goal to simply make it louder.
cost you like $5 at the hardware.
I'm looking to remove/delete the resonator/silencer as well. I am looking for an even more agressive sound along with that. Thank you for the reply!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 07:38 PM   #5
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

I have run the AFE and several versions of stock modified airbox. Do this:

Airbox holes you describe or secondary ram intake (Dinan style)
K&N drop in filter
Delete Charcoal Filter
Rev Motoring Silicone Tube

This will give you the exact same sound and gains as the AFE
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 12:44 AM   #6
E92inAZ
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 coupe

I also have the afe box and it IS spendy. If you can duplicate the gains another way, go for it.

if it's sound you're looking for, I would imagine that the shape and size of the intake tube from the filter to the throttle body probably affects the sound made by the box. It's massive and shaped like a tuba! you may want to consider that.
2007 E92 328i coupe. 19" staggered VMR v710, front: 19x8.5 et35 continental 235/35 19, rear: 19x9.5 et33 continental 265/30 19; 1 inch front lowering perches; Msport rear bumper; roof spoiler; trunk lip; Bavsound UF110; carbon fiber wrapped interior trim; 3 stage BMW intake manifold; aFe magnum force stage 2 si pro 5R cold air intake; active autowerkes catless header; active autowerkes gen 2 signature exhaust; BPC stage 2 header tune
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 07:20 AM   #7
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

Btw logantheodorou if you, or anyone else, want a AFE for cheaper (1/2 price) I do have mine listed for sale in the sales section here
Appreciate 0