E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > N52 Engine Rebuild?

04-29-2014, 07:51 AM   #1
E91_Dave
Private
Rep
Drives: E81, E91

N52 Engine Rebuild?

After experiencing some minor issues with my N52 3lt Z, I had it checked out by a local garage with significant BMW knowledge. After a day on the ramps it's been diagnosed with heavy bottom end wear which will end in failure. Yeah I guess I should be cheesed off but that isn't going to get me anywhere

Rather than just replacing the crank bearings I'm going to have the entire engine rebuilt.

I've had a look around but was wondering if anyone on here could recommend somewhere around the Northamptonshire area or further if they'll collect the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 10:26 PM   #2
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Daft question.. You've spoken to BMW right? What's your mileage/year. I wonder if they would offer any good will.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 07:04 PM   #3
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Interesting we've bought a N52n from our local BMW dealership a 3 litre engine barely dine 900 miles and guess what bottom end damage crank bearings the lot condemned that was replaced the manufacture wasn't it seems interested in having the old unit back so we bought it......... at a stunning price

Thing is it's got a perfect head a new water pump and other ancillaries still attached but it seems bottom end issues aren't unheard of judging by the speed this one was sorted out

Re the car itself it'll be cheaper to swap the engine out rather than go fur a bottom end replacement I think you'll find

PM me car details last 7 chassis I can cross match details and see if there's a donor engine floating about in the network dint forget on PM to include mileage yours has done as it'll be nice to find something with comparable miles wouldn't it

By the way in Stevenage so around an hour to hour and a half from you www.a1bnspecoalist.co.uk/

Last edited by old grey steve; 04-30-2014 at 07:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 01:44 AM   #4
E91_Dave
Private
Rep
Drives: E81, E91

Thanks Steve, will send the details over shortly.

I have spoken to BMW ref a goodwill repair, the Z is just under 8 years old with 64k and full BMW history, the last service was only completed 2.5k ago and no faults where noted then which may help my case. I'm having the car inspected by the dealer on Friday as they have to diagnose the fault before applying for good will. Time will tell, I just need it back on the road!!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 05:52 AM   #5
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by E91_Dave View Post
Thanks Steve, will send the details over shortly.

I have spoken to BMW ref a goodwill repair, the Z is just under 8 years old with 64k and full BMW history, the last service was only completed 2.5k ago and no faults where noted then which may help my case. I'm having the car inspected by the dealer on Friday as they have to diagnose the fault before applying for good will. Time will tell, I just need it back on the road!!
PM sent but you should with a good BMW service history get some good will as the bottom end is non serviceable item therefore they can't say anything really if it were challenged you've got history therefore any counter claim provided its worded or phrased correctly could be challenged, but chances are they'll be a little get out of jail card that they might exploit, thing is 68k on an 8000 mile car isn't that great you'd have to ask why you're in this situation.

If they give you grief you need to ask them how the hell the issue happened in the first place.