E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Why's it all goopy?

06-06-2017, 10:29 PM   #1
beans
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Why's it all goopy?

Hey guys, I was under the car today where I noticed that everything down there, towards the front, is all oily. The pic below shows the steering rack covered in oil and everything forward from it. The oil pan area does not seem oily. Any guesses where the oil is coming from?

I should mention that the oil filter was completely destroyed, and I don't know why. It may have been on installation. There was some oil around the filter housing, but I don't think that's the cause of all the oil in the pics.

Thanks for your help. I'm just a poor boy who can't afford a mechanic.

Last edited by beans; 06-07-2017 at 06:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2017, 09:49 AM   #2
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Some of the other forums I'm on mentioned that a few different aftermarket oil filters don't fit perfectly. When tightened down they can crush due to the height being slightly different. I believe the ones in question were K&N and Fram Ultra. I'd stick to the OEM BMW filters or the MANN filter, which you can get at WalMart pretty cheap.

I've used the MANN filters for a few years now on an N52 and M54 engine without issues.

The oil leaking down the front of the engine is likely from your oil filter housing. The gasket only costs a few bucks and you can DIY this repair. The other likely possibility is a valve cover gasket leak. Also a repair that can be done yourself, but is a bit more time consuming.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 1
beans3.50
      06-07-2017, 12:49 PM   #3
El Cheapo Loco
douchebaggo
Rep
Drives: stick

That looks like years of neglect. First is to inspect the belts to see if they are deteriorating due to engine oil. Shredded belts can get sucked into the engine and destroy it. Then clean up the oil with degreaser and monitor for seepage. OFHG is almost a given so plan on replacing it.
Appreciate 1
beans3.50
      06-07-2017, 07:57 PM   #4
beans
Rep

Thanks for the advice guys! Those two gaskets don't seem too scary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
I'd stick to the OEM BMW filters or the MANN filter, which you can get at WalMart pretty cheap.
This destroyed filter is a MANN filter.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2017, 07:58 PM   #5
beans
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Cheapo Loco View Post
That looks like years of neglect. First is to inspect the belts to see if they are deteriorating due to engine oil. Shredded belts can get sucked into the engine and destroy it. Then clean up the oil with degreaser and monitor for seepage. OFHG is almost a given so plan on replacing it.
Good to know! I'll check out the belts.

Any more advice on how to clean the engine? Is it bad to powerwash it at the self-serve car wash?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2017, 08:51 PM   #6
flexinator
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by beans View Post
Hey guys, I was under the car today where I noticed that everything down there, towards the front, is all oily. The pic below shows the steering rack covered in oil and everything forward from it. The oil pan area does not seem oily. Any guesses where the oil is coming from?

I should mention that the oil filter was completely destroyed, and I don't know why. It may have been on installation. There was some oil around the filter housing, but I don't think that's the cause of all the oil in the pics.

Thanks for your help. I'm just a poor boy who can't afford a mechanic.

Oil filter housing gaskets are notorious for leaking. Check the DIY you'll need a torx bit and you'll need to top off the oil and coolant.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 09:13 AM   #7
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by beans View Post
Thanks for the advice guys! Those two gaskets don't seem too scary.

This destroyed filter is a MANN filter.
Our cars run 75-90psi of oil pressure through the filter. Many aftermarket filters just can't withstand the pressure and they shred. It has nothing to do with the "height." The pleat design and the flow rate of the filter causes the issue because the oil pressure. The other aspect is our 250f oil temps. The glue that holds the filters together fails.

Yes, it can happen to a Mann filter too. You'll hear a weird noise coming from the filter area sometimes which is usually a good indicator that the filter has been wrecked.

You just gotta be aware of the failure point and address it when it happens. Mann/Mahl filters seem to have the best filter design capable of handling stock oil pressure and heat so stick with them.

99% chance the oil is coming from the OFHG or the OTHG. It wicks down front the oil filter housing down the entire front and passenger side of the engine coating everything in its path.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2017, 02:21 PM   #8
bimmerlove335
Private
Rep
Drives: Black '09 335i

Sorry, what is the OTHG? Never heard that term before.
Appreciate 0