E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Got stopped and got a speeding ticket? Questions?

12-04-2016, 01:31 AM   #1
TogekiAs
Private
Rep
Drives: 335is

Got stopped and got a speeding ticket? Questions?

Hello. I'm kind of mad about this situation that happened but I am confused.
I got pulled over by going 80 on a 65mph(freeway) the officer lowered it down to going 74mph over 65. I don't see any amount of fines I'd have to pay? The officer told me that I can either call the court or go over there... I live in Houston, Texas. Anyone tell me what would happen? Do I have to pay something here? Just wanna make sure what happens before I call court :/

Do drive a BMW just curious

Last edited by TogekiAs; 12-04-2016 at 01:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 02:55 AM   #2
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

I have a question for you! Why didn't you take any pics?! Lol

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1327117

But yea you're gonna have to pay something, cop was some what nice and lowered you down to 9 above b/c 10-20 above is a higher fine. So you can either pay the 200 w/e $ fine, have it s show on your record for the next 3 years and pay higher insurance premium.... OR you can call the court, tell then you'll be taking defensive driving class to take care of the ticket (allowed 1 per year) then pay the $25 for the course within 90 days and be done with it. I suggest 'I drive safely' online course for tx, taken it so many times I have it memorized, just chill watch a movie or something then answer the test questions haha (hint - Google the questions ie copy and paste if you get stuck )
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 03:01 AM   #3
TogekiAs
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black n54is View Post

But yea you're gonna have to pay something, cop was some what nice and lowered you down to 9 above b/c 10-20 above is a higher fine. So you can either pay the 200 w/e $ fine, have it s show on your record for the next 3 years and pay higher insurance premium.... OR you can call the court, tell then you'll be taking defensive driving class to take care of the ticket (allowed 1 per year) then pay the $25 for the course within 90 days and be done with it. I suggest 'I drive safely' online course for tx, taken it so many times I have it memorized, just chill watch a movie or something then answer the test questions haha (hint - Google the questions ie copy and paste if you get stuck )
Wait so if that's the case I'm only paying 25$? I searched the fine laws for Texas and it says that 9mph is 180$...honestly didn't think it was that much seems a little overkill! thanks for nice response though I'll for sure look into that. How long is the driving class tho?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 03:03 AM   #4
TogekiAs
Private
Rep

Quote:

Fyi, this just happened at 1am. I doubt my car can be seen but yea the cop was somewhat nice i was nervous he sounded intimidating
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 04:53 AM   #5
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TogekiAs View Post
Wait so if that's the case I'm only paying 25$? I searched the fine laws for Texas and it says that 9mph is 180$...honestly didn't think it was that much seems a little overkill! thanks for nice response though I'll for sure look into that. How long is the driving class tho?
Oh wait no, I think if I remember right you'd probably pay the court like ~$125ish and then the $25 for the driving course, its 6 hours total btw. But still totally worth doing as its less overall and keeps the ticket off your record cuz of insurance.
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 04:59 AM   #6
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Fyi, this just happened at 1am. I doubt my car can be seen but yea the cop was somewhat nice i was nervous he sounded intimidating
Haha are you new to TX? dont be intimidated!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 05:00 AM   #7
Denny347
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E90

Quote:
I got pulled over by going 80 on a 65mph(freeway) the officer lowered it down to going 74mph over 65. I don't see any amount of fines I'd have to pay? The officer told me that I can either call the court or go over there... I live in Houston, Texas. Anyone tell me what would happen? Do I have to pay something here? Just wanna make sure what happens before I call court :/

http://www.dmv.org/tx-texas/traffic-tickets.php
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 06:49 AM   #8
racermp
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 330i

Haha first ticket I see, call sullo and sullo in houston, they will take care of it (dismiss) for you for like 70$. I'm in houston too...
http://www.sullolaw.com/traffichome.aspx

Don't ever pay for ticket out right.
driving class is the long route.
Deferred is the exp route
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 07:44 AM   #9
critical05
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi 6 spd

He probably wasn't as nice as you were thinking. If my speedo reads 80, my GPS speed on my radar detector reads 75 mph.

BMW speedo accuracy is lacking.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 10:18 AM   #10
Wilt
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Been a while since my last ticket, for going 40mph entering a 25mph zone!
As I recall, even after paying an independent service their fee for the 'traffic school', I had to pay 'administrative' charges to the county, so that the net cost to me was not much different...I was not saving money, I was saving my driving record from accumulating a 'point'.

Not all counties have acceptance of traffic school with forgiveness of the point...

In Texas you CAN choose traffic school if
  • Were cited for speeding, but didn't exceed the posted speed limit by 25 MPH or more.
  • Were not going 95 MPH or more.
AND your jurisdictional court grants you permission.

Last edited by Wilt; 12-04-2016 at 10:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 11:17 AM   #11
TogekiAs
Private
Rep

Black54is - lol oh wow got you! Thanks for the info but I guess it sounds like a better situation to fight the ticket? Next time I'll take a pic, which I hope doesn't happen.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 11:17 AM   #12
TogekiAs
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by racermp View Post
Haha first ticket I see, call sullo and sullo in houston, they will take care of it (dismiss) for you for like 70$. I'm in houston too...
http://www.sullolaw.com/traffichome.aspx

Don't ever pay for ticket out right.
driving class is the long route.
Deferred is the exp route
Wow thank you so much for the link! 70$ I can easily pay that no problem! Yes it is my first ticket. I did get pulled over before for speeding but I was pardoned
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 11:29 AM   #13
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

Read the ticket, go to court a little early to see how they handle other tickets and see what happens when the officer does not show up. If the officer is there, you'll probably pay a small fine and go to Traffic School. If the officer doesn't show up, you might fight it and have it thrown out.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 12:22 PM   #14
TogekiAs
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilt View Post
Been a while since my last ticket, for going 40mph entering a 25mph zone!
As I recall, even after paying an independent service their fee for the 'traffic school', I had to pay 'administrative' charges to the county, so that the net cost to me was not much different...I was not saving money, I was saving my driving record from accumulating a 'point'.

Not all counties have acceptance of traffic school with forgiveness of the point...

In Texas you CAN choose traffic school if
  • Were cited for speeding, but didn't exceed the posted speed limit by 25 MPH or more.
  • Were not going 95 MPH or more.
AND your jurisdictional court grants you permission.
Thank you for the info for sure I will keep an eye out, never going above 25 now :/
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 12:23 PM   #15
TogekiAs
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
Read the ticket, go to court a little early to see how they handle other tickets and see what happens when the officer does not show up. If the officer is there, you'll probably pay a small fine and go to Traffic School. If the officer doesn't show up, you might fight it and have it thrown out.

When the officer pulled me over he said that I can either go to court or just call them? Like he said I don't have to go? And really how often does a officer not show up to court? I thought this was a rare thing to happen
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 07:08 PM   #16
Ozzie335i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

It's Tejas. Call the court, and ask for deferred adjudication. Pay the fine if deferred adjudication is an option. If you have no more tickets in that municipality in the next 90 days the ticket will not show up on your record.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 07:42 PM   #17
Unknown_Car
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Few and diffrent

Quote:

When you call in and give your citation number they will tell you how much you need to pay. Usually they dont write on the ticket the amount you need to pay.
DocRace 6266 single turbo.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 08:47 AM   #18
jt335i
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i Monaco blue

Sorry about your ticket bro. One thing you have to remember when driving your BMW over the speed limit is, is you have a target on your back by law enforcement officers. They rarely ever give BMW drivers a break because they know that if you can afford such a car you can afford to pay a fine. On rare occasions, people can get away with it like if you’re a hot chick which my girl actually did one night and she was very very very lucky. Ha ha! I’m sure there are other ways to get away with it, but it’s not common.

Regarding going to court, not sure how the Texas traffic court system works, but here in Florida, I have been in traffic court before. When I elected to go, I was assigned a court date by the clerk of court (a date which I cannot pick myself). When I got there, the officer did not appear in that initial court session. The traffic court judge gives everyone 3 options to plead: guilty, no contest, or not guilty. If I plead ‘guilty’ or ‘no contest’, the judge can waive the points and give a lesser fine, and they may or may not assign driving school. Just depends on driving record. If the plead is ‘not guilty’, then the judge will assign a new court date and it is this new date that the officer will be summoned and which there’s a 50/50 chance he or she will show up. For me, my plead was ‘no contest’ and all I did was pay a lesser fine and I was on my way. No driving school and no points.
If the traffic court system in Texas is similar to Florida, I would plead ‘no contest’, pay the lesser fine, and that’s it. You would need to call your local clerk of court to find out what the traffic court process is. Hope you'll get things worked out.
1983 Mercedes Benz 380SL Roadster

Last edited by jt335i; 12-05-2016 at 08:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 09:04 AM   #19
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

This varies by location, but the point is the cop gave the OP a break by citing 9. Usually, if one were truly driving 9, they wouldn't even bother. Anyway, I got a ticket for 52 in a 25, went to court and they changed it to 30. I still paid $120, but there were no points and it was never reported on my DL. I would be very surprised if a $25 moving violation exists. I got busted in Brooklyn NY for ********** *******, and the plainclothes told me it would be a $5 fine. I was skeptical, but glad to have the cuffs taken off. It turned out to be $25, but this was in 2001 when I was young.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 09:20 AM   #20
Deluxx3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335i

Quote:
Oh wait no, I think if I remember right you'd probably pay the court like ~$125ish and then the $25 for the driving course, its 6 hours total btw. But still totally worth doing as its less overall and keeps the ticket off your record cuz of insurance.
Wait so if I take the course the ticket does not show on record and I don't have to pay higher insurance premium?

I got pulled over for doing 60 on 45 and passing the cop who was in front of me (wasn't thinking what I was doing), but got a warning. Probably because I lucked out since that specific cop lives across the street from me
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 10:51 AM   #21
TogekiAs
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt335i View Post
Sorry about your ticket bro. One thing you have to remember when driving your BMW over the speed limit is, is you have a target on your back by law enforcement officers. They rarely ever give BMW drivers a break because they know that if you can afford such a car you can afford to pay a fine. On rare occasions, people can get away with it like if you’re a hot chick which my girl actually did one night and she was very very very lucky. Ha ha! I’m sure there are other ways to get away with it, but it’s not common.

Regarding going to court, not sure how the Texas traffic court system works, but here in Florida, I have been in traffic court before. When I elected to go, I was assigned a court date by the clerk of court (a date which I cannot pick myself). When I got there, the officer did not appear in that initial court session. The traffic court judge gives everyone 3 options to plead: guilty, no contest, or not guilty. If I plead ‘guilty’ or ‘no contest’, the judge can waive the points and give a lesser fine, and they may or may not assign driving school. Just depends on driving record. If the plead is ‘not guilty’, then the judge will assign a new court date and it is this new date that the officer will be summoned and which there’s a 50/50 chance he or she will show up. For me, my plead was ‘no contest’ and all I did was pay a lesser fine and I was on my way. No driving school and no points.
If the traffic court system in Texas is similar to Florida, I would plead ‘no contest’, pay the lesser fine, and that’s it. You would need to call your local clerk of court to find out what the traffic court process is. Hope you'll get things worked out.
And I had valuable reasons.

1. It was 1am
2. No other car was driving i was by myself
3. There other cop cars stationed, none of them went after me, but I didn't notice I was gradually increasing speed

The officer even know I was coming home from work! But still got a ticket man this is that one situation where I could've been given break. Don't the cops also check other times when I got pulled over? Maybe that was the reason since last time I went 43 on a 25 but was given break. I got a ticket on the tollway btw, which is pretty dumb since I was by myself and no other cars driving around me. Lesson learned I guess but I really hope it wasn't because I was driving a BMW cause that is a shitty stereotype lmao
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2023, 09:09 PM   #22
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by critical05 View Post
He probably wasn't as nice as you were thinking. If my speedo reads 80, my GPS speed on my radar detector reads 75 mph.

BMW speedo accuracy is lacking.
It's not lacking, it intentionally reads high. You can code it to be correct if you want to.

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0