E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > CIC Script Activation still an option?

03-05-2024, 04:53 PM   #1
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

CIC Script Activation still an option?

I recently upgrade my CCC to CIC and it works great but as expected the Navigation is grayed out due to the VIN mismatch (incorrect FSC) in the new CIC unit.

The new unit has firmware C10 so I cannot use the patcher as is. I'm trying to find an ICOM to update the firmware but so far haven't found any to borrow or rent and the ones for sale are a few hundred dollars. I don't even use navigation and definitely don't want to spend $300-400 for an ICOM just for that. I'd upgrade to one of the CarPlay/AA display splitters before that.

Do the script activations still work, and are any of the software tools even still available?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 10:30 AM   #2
BRG_N54
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Green '07 & Arctic '08 335i's

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Yes, it is still viable. I just did CCC>CIC upgrade on two cars. Hardest part was getting all the right software tools together. This version of FSTool was the last piece of the puzzle to get 9C cert installed. You will also need the SWPatcher and Nav key generator. This post was what I followed to get it all working, bless you FaxData!
Appreciate 1
lowrydr3101684.50
      03-06-2024, 11:53 AM   #3
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRG_N54 View Post
This post was what I followed to get it all working, bless you FaxData!
Doesn't that post only cover the steps for the patcher (for C1A firmware only)?
Appreciate 1
BRG_N54296.50
      03-06-2024, 04:44 PM   #4
BRG_N54
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrydr310 View Post
Doesn't that post only cover the steps for the patcher (for C1A firmware only)?
The second post in the series covers CIC coding, I would think this applies to any retrofit, regardless of firmware. The third post dives into NAV activation. I really like how he (or she) broke it up that way.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 01:34 PM   #5
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep

Quote:
The second post in the series covers CIC coding, I would think this applies to any retrofit, regardless of firmware. The third post dives into NAV activation. I really like how he (or she) broke it up that way.
Yes, but the third post for NAV activation only shows the steps for the patcher. That only works on C1A firmware which I don't have, and can't update until I can get access to an ICOM interface. I don't want to spend $400+ just to activate an old navigation system.

The old method of Nav activation prior to the patcher method was script activation. I was wondering if I could still do that.. I just tried however none of the tools that used to be available can be downloaded, all the sharing links are inactive.

I got the CIC installed and coded perfectly fine. It works great; I just wanted to activate and update the navigation if it was easy and inexpensive to do so.
Appreciate 1
BRG_N54296.50
      03-21-2024, 10:56 AM   #6
BRG_N54
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
1B file or FSC code?

Quote:
I got the CIC installed and coded perfectly fine. It works great; I just wanted to activate and update the navigation if it was easy and inexpensive to do so.
The patcher let's you generate an activation code for the maps you are going to install, by pulling your 1B file, and also wipes the FSC codes from the CIC. Having the navigation option greyed out is related to FSC codes not being installed, which should work on any firmware version of CIC, using FSTool2. This may be a hurdle if you don't have the donor VIN, AFAIK, just a novice retrofitter here.

There is another method to obtain your 1B file using an ENET cable, which should also work, regardless of CIC firmware.

Another alternative is to pick up a more modern CIC from a junk yard or eBay. I got both my CIC's from eBay, just looked for the newest ones I could find. (2011+) Both were around $100, from reputable sellers that provided the donor VIN, just in case I needed it. But then just last weekend I saw a 2011 E90 came in to my local pick-n-pull, and grabbed another CIC for $40.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 01:16 PM   #7
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep

Quote:
The patcher let's you generate an activation code for the maps you are going to install, by pulling your 1B file, and also wipes the FSC codes from the CIC. Having the navigation option greyed out is related to FSC codes not being installed, which should work on any firmware version of CIC, using FSTool2. This may be a hurdle if you don't have the donor VIN, AFAIK, just a novice retrofitter here.
I have the donor VIN but the issue is that there is still a VIN mismatch between the CIC (and the donor car's FSC codes) and my car's VIN from the CAS. My donor CIC *has* it's own FSC for navigation, but since there's a VIN mismatch the navigation option is grayed out.

The way around this is to use a FSC generated for my car's VIN, however if I do this it still won't be accepted because of a certificate mismatch. The patcher is needed because it replaces the root certificate on the CIC, enabling self-signed certificates to be accepted.

Quote:
There is another method to obtain your 1B file using an ENET cable, which should also work, regardless of CIC firmware.
That 1B file would let me generate a FSC for my VIN, but without the patcher it won't be accepted by my CIC because of the signature issue.

Quote:
Another alternative is to pick up a more modern CIC from a junk yard or eBay. I got both my CIC's from eBay, just looked for the newest ones I could find. (2011+) Both were around $100, from reputable sellers that provided the donor VIN, just in case I needed it. But then just last weekend I saw a 2011 E90 came in to my local pick-n-pull, and grabbed another CIC for $40.
The interesting thing is that I got my CIC from a 2011 E93 328i, yet it still has the C10 firmware. But you make a very good point; $100 for a newer CIC that already has the C1A firmware is a much better bargain and less headache than buying an ICOM or trying to find one to borrow.
Appreciate 1
BRG_N54296.50
      03-26-2024, 05:44 PM   #8
BRG_N54
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I'm not sure if you are still looking for another set of eyes to get your current setup working, or if you are thinking of moving to the "obtain CIC with C1A" solution. I will chime in a bit further, but again, just a novice at this....

Quote:
I have the donor VIN but the issue is that there is still a VIN mismatch between the CIC (and the donor car's FSC codes) and my car's VIN from the CAS. My donor CIC *has* it's own FSC for navigation, but since there's a VIN mismatch the navigation option is grayed out.
Step #2 of the third post in FaxData's walkthrough states:

2. Use Tool32 to set the VIN in the CIC to your car's VIN. The VIN's must match, AFAIK, both in the CIC itself and the FSC codes used for feature activation. I was able set the VIN, both through Tool32 as well as ProTool, with ProTool being much easier, in both the CIC and COMBOX.

Quote:
That 1B file would let me generate a FSC for my VIN, but without the patcher it won't be accepted by my CIC because of the signature issue.
I am not sure what exactly you mean by "the signature issue". As far as I understand, how the patcher fits into this puzzle is like this; it performs two crucial functions that are normally quite tricky, 1) scrubs the CIC of FSC codes, thus enabling the ability to self sign these security certificates, and 2) output the 1B file to the same USB stick used to run the patch script. This second part lets you use the output file as the seed for the NAV map activation process, using Jaeger's tool, since the security certs are no longer tied to BMW and their activation process.

The 1B file does not control access to the navigation menu, that is through the FSC codes, which were corrected using FSTool2. After you get the NAV menu working, that is when the 1B files comes into play, as the car will prompt you for an "activation code", when entering that feature. Then you use Jaeger's tool to generate the code with your 1B file as the input to the tool. If you can't get the 1B file from the USB with the patcher (a problem I had at first) you could then use an ENET cable and extract the file from the CIC HDD. The same extracted file could then be used with Jaeger's tool to generate your map activation code.

The solution to #1 above still requires you match the VIN of the CIC to your car when you create new FSC codes using FSTool2. The VIN has to be consistent across all operations or you will get the result like you are seeing, NAV greyed out. The only way around that is with a hardware emulator, as described in FaxData's tutorial.

I hope that is helpful, but it sounds like you have been frustrated by this retrofit for a while now. Don't hesitate to reach out if you think I can assist.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 07:15 PM   #9
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep

I appreciate the help. It's been tough trying to figure this out.

Quote:
Step #2 of the third post in FaxData's walkthrough states:
2. Use Tool32 to set the VIN in the CIC to your car's VIN. The VIN's must match, AFAIK, both in the CIC itself and the FSC codes used for feature activation. I was able set the VIN, both through Tool32 as well as ProTool, with ProTool being much easier, in both the CIC and COMBOX.
I had no issue changing my new CIC unit's VIN to match mine, that part was easy. The problem with FaxData's walkthrough for me is that all those steps require C1A firwmare on the CIC, which I don't have, so I'm stuck. I can't do any of that stuff.

Quote:
I am not sure what exactly you mean by "the signature issue". As far as I understand, how the patcher fits into this puzzle is like this; it performs two crucial functions that are normally quite tricky, 1) scrubs the CIC of FSC codes, thus enabling the ability to self sign these security certificates, and 2) output the 1B file to the same USB stick used to run the patch script. This second part lets you use the output file as the seed for the NAV map activation process, using Jaeger's tool, since the security certs are no longer tied to BMW and their activation process.
I thought the patcher modified the CIC to accept self signed certificates in addition to scrubbing the old FSC codes (associated with the donor car CIC) to allow input of new self-signed codes generated with FSTool.

Quote:
The 1B file does not control access to the navigation menu, that is through the FSC codes, which were corrected using FSTool2. After you get the NAV menu working, that is when the 1B files comes into play, as the car will prompt you for an "activation code", when entering that feature. Then you use Jaeger's tool to generate the code with your 1B file as the input to the tool. If you can't get the 1B file from the USB with the patcher (a problem I had at first) you could then use an ENET cable and extract the file from the CIC HDD. The same extracted file could then be used with Jaeger's tool to generate your map activation code.
I have C10 firmware which means the patcher won't work at all. I *haven't* attempted to even try it yet since it seems like a wasted effort, but I read many posts where people have tried on several older firmware versions and it just doesn't work.

My only options are update the firmware (which requires an ICOM that I don't have,) use an emulator which I don't want to do, or the outdated method of script activation which I thought might be worth a try. Unfortunately even that has some spotty instructions and links to tools that aren't available for download.

I really like your idea of just getting a different CIC that already has C1A firmware, and then I can sell my current one. That's far easier and cheaper than finding an ICOM. An old neighbor of mine was a mechanic at a BMW dealership; I need to find someone like that again who can 'borrow' a dealer's ICOM setup for an evening.
Appreciate 1
BRG_N54296.50
      04-17-2024, 11:37 AM   #10
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep

BRG_N54 I really appreciate the assistance with this, especially your suggestion to just get a newer CIC with the correct firmware. I just sourced one from a 2013 E92 for a great price, fingers crossed that it has C1A firmware. Much cheaper than trying to acquire a ICOM unit.

I don't *need* navigation but I do like having the map displayed when I'm not using Waze or GMaps.

Now to find a combox so I can stream music without my generic bluetooth aux adapter.

I smell a business opportunity; buy and ICOM and power supply and someone can do mobile module programming/updates. At least nobody on these forums seems to have an ICOM; maybe FB groups would be a better place to look?

Last edited by lowrydr310; 04-17-2024 at 11:56 AM..
Appreciate 1
BRG_N54296.50
      04-23-2024, 06:08 PM   #11
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep

Success! CIC upgraded and Navigation now working.

ZERO issues with the steps in the tutorial linked above. It looks far more complicated than it really is. Took under an hour total.

One key piece of info that I couldn't find anywhere was that you have to insert the USB stick with the patcher AFTER the CIC is booted. I tried a few times turning the ignition on with the USB stick already in the slot and nothing happened. I thought I had a bad USB drive, until I figured out you have to put the stick in once the CIC is completely booted.
Appreciate 2
BRG_N54296.50
shannon1639.50
      04-24-2024, 12:21 PM   #12
BRG_N54
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
YAY!

That's great news, good work persevering and keeping your wits about you.
Appreciate 0