E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > LED light bar install questions

10-18-2020, 08:43 PM   #23
Fubar_U235
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulf78 View Post
I did exactly this. Unfortunately, my 20" LED bar was just a tad too long to fit properly inside the opening at 515 mm. I'm very happy with the result though, makes driving at night much more relaxing.

Attachment 2189855

Low beam:
Attachment 2189856

High beam:
Attachment 2189857

High beam with LED bar:
Attachment 2189858

Stars:
Attachment 2189859
How did you mount this? Have any pictures? How did you wire it and what light bar is it? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 11:09 PM   #24
avocet
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i 2011 X5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
Light bars are for douchebags, I was in Nashville when some guy in a truck had his running on his truck. I would have flashed my high beams on him if I thought he wasn’t carrying. No one needs that much light, especially on a public road, just slow down.
In and around built up areas I agree 100%. I had a bumper mountedlight bar on my car that was high beam activated and had an independent switch. When I was home it never got switched on so I could just use regluar high beams. But when I travelled to work I would drive mountain highways at night for 5-6 hours when the roads were very lightly travelled the light bar was a godsend.

It isn't the truck or the light bar that makes these douchebags douchebags, but it sure seems like it is
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 02:09 AM   #25
Vivek.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335is coupe, e30 vert

Quote:
Light bars are for douchebags, I was in Nashville when some guy in a truck had his running on his truck. I would have flashed my high beams on him if I thought he wasn’t carrying. No one needs that much light, especially on a public road, just slow down.
So is he a douchebag for having a light bar or for making you fear for your life if you flashed your lights at him for a very valid reason...?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 02:24 PM   #26
Ulf78
Rep
Drives: '08 325dT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar_U235 View Post
How did you mount this? Have any pictures? How did you wire it and what light bar is it? Thanks.
Here are the rest of the pictures I took during the installation. The relay is wired to the inner high beam bulb, so the light bar is always on with the high beam. For simplicity I opted to not install the separate switch included with the wiring package, but especially when flashing oncoming traffic at night it would have been useful.

The light bar is a 90W unit with a rating of 4690 actual lumen, and 1 lux at 450 meters.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 11:14 AM   #27
haaken675
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24v turbo e30, e92 335i

Quote:
False, light bars are not for douchebags...Turning an LED lightbar on while driving on public roads makes you a doucehbag....

Had and have light bars on my trucks. They are essential for wheeling off road at night. Key word being off-road.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 11:52 AM   #28
dngr
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw e91 320i

So having a led bar makes you doucebag in us? Well approx. 80% of car have some sort of auxiliary lights in the winter time here, because its dark with no street lights most of the time you get to move somewhere.
Appreciate 1
Ulf7819.00
      01-13-2021, 12:09 PM   #29
Ulf78
Rep
Drives: '08 325dT

Well, I've had my LED bar for over a year now, and I couldn't be happier. Driving at night is actually fun, unlike before with the stock high-beams. Just like having proper tires when driving in the winter, as important is having proper lights when driving in rural areas at night.

I have only experienced two drawbacks so far. One is that I need to dim the lights sooner when meeting oncoming traffic on long straights. Before we could both drive for some distance on the high-beams, but with the LED bar the other vehicle switches to low-beams almost immediately. The other is that I am blinded by large road signs, especially white ones. I usually persevere, but sometimes switch to low-beams.

On the plus side I find myself being less annoyed by adaptive headlights on oncoming vehicles. Not sure if it's psychological, or if they react faster to more light.

Included is a short clip from yesterday. No deer or other animals involved, but it shows the importance of good lights and tires.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B76hbazVCiA
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 07:35 AM   #30
Steini9494
Enlisted Member
Iceland
Rep
Drives: E91 320d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulf78 View Post
Well, I've had my LED bar for over a year now, and I couldn't be happier. Driving at night is actually fun, unlike before with the stock high-beams. Just like having proper tires when driving in the winter, as important is having proper lights when driving in rural areas at night.

I have only experienced two drawbacks so far. One is that I need to dim the lights sooner when meeting oncoming traffic on long straights. Before we could both drive for some distance on the high-beams, but with the LED bar the other vehicle switches to low-beams almost immediately. The other is that I am blinded by large road signs, especially white ones. I usually persevere, but sometimes switch to low-beams.

On the plus side I find myself being less annoyed by adaptive headlights on oncoming vehicles. Not sure if it's psychological, or if they react faster to more light.

Included is a short clip from yesterday. No deer or other animals involved, but it shows the importance of good lights and tires.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B76hbazVCiA
Completely agree with this, little update on the E91, i added a 21.5" Ledson bar with a spot beam and it's a huge upgrade, the little pods with the driving beam are very good on their own but having this bigger bar with all the light focused straight down the road is a huge, huge help when driving on long country roads! It would be a bit more effective if it was placed higher up, but i think this was the most clean looking way to install it, and it still works very well even if it's placed so low, before with the pods i always felt i could use a little more when on the highway but with this setup i can always see far enough ahead that i can honestly say i don't actually need any more light. Havent measured it but it looks and feels to be literally a hundred times brighter than the stock high beams
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Ulf7819.00
      11-11-2021, 09:32 AM   #31
Captain Buumer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325D

This topic got me interested as i drive mainly countryroads.

There are places to mount led bar, bottom front bumper seemed like most logical place but before that decided to try upgrade existing bi-xenon projectors.

Upgrade done (ordered from retrofitlab - should sell similar stuff as in retrofitsource). Old projectors reflective were fading and obviously the difference was huge.

New projectors light is more concentrated to the forward. OEM did light up even the sides but now to think of it. I rather see further ahead than what is directly next to me.

Definitely worth it, did not need to remove headlights as you can remove projectors from the back opening. There is more than enough light now and it's evenly spread out while focus is on the middle.

Don't need ledbar anymore as there is enought light output from two D1S (bi-xenon) + two H7.

Anyone else looking for light upgrade i suggest considering swap projectors before putting on ledbar.

Last edited by Captain Buumer; 11-11-2021 at 01:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 01:10 PM   #32
Captain Buumer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325D

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarenachaven View Post
Did anyone mention above that all BMW drivers are assholes? It seems that all who buy BMW don't care about other people.
That's a strange thing to write and generalize.

Lightning is very important and there are too many cases where "**holes" don't fix broken headlight bulbs/worn headlights and carelessly just drive over people and animals at night.
This is much more common for other car brand owners who care less of their overall car condition.

In regards to this topic its quite the opposite. Improved lightning saves another careless joggers life running in total darkness without reflective clothing/flashlight.

It was big surprise to see a drunk man sleeping in the middle of the road where speed limit is 90 km/h. I saw that guy far ahead and pulled to the side of the road to try get him to the side of the road.

A car came with halogen headlights and i had to wait until it drives away before messing on the road. The car saw it too late and crashed to the side of the road avoiding driving over the sleeping drunk guy.
So i ran to the car instead to see if they survived.

Then heard a semi-trailer truck closing in and i just ran away to the fields. It crashed into the same car killing all people inside.

Then i dragged the sleeping man to the side of the road, called police saying medics also needed.

i saw the compressed family car, the semitruck driver was fine and i left as the view was just... no words. i left the place.

So who exactly are you blaming here?
Appreciate 0