E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Stealth Performance: the ideal setup for no smell and no smoke M57

11-29-2022, 11:07 PM   #1
E85 Sport
who is this noob
Rep
Drives: from Spartanburg

Stealth Performance: the ideal setup for no smell and no smoke M57

We are all familiar with ABC deletes. But some of us dislike the smoke, smell, and sounds that come with a “full delete.”

For those who prefer a stealth approach, what is the best blend of performance and efficiency for M57?

• better cruising mpg's
  • reduced carbon build-up
  • quietness
  • low effort, proven method

Dislikes:
  • smoke
  • smell
  • loudness

Last edited by E85 Sport; 11-29-2022 at 11:14 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2022, 09:55 AM   #2
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

Downpipe with DOC. I'd never call a deleted car loud, they sound like Dyson vacuums at idle.
      12-01-2022, 01:58 PM   #3
Tomnavigator
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 335D, V-10 Touareg Diesel

E85 Sport here are my comments to your posting

more power There is no way to gain any significant power without a performance tune which is not usually a low effort modification since most people delete the emissions equipment with the performance tune
better cruising mpg's - Better cruising MPG is usually gained by the EGR delete and the DPF delete. Again not a low effort change. Note: removal of the DPF requires removal of the SCR to prevent SCR plugging up.
reduced carbon build-up - Reduced carbon buildup is obtained by EGR delete. This can be done by disabling the EGR actuator (causes trouble codes), block off plates (causes trouble codes), and/or EGR delete tune (no trouble codes but costs money).
quietness - The car will remain quiet unless you remove the DOC, DPF, and SCR. Then it will be about 20% louder and you will hear a turbo whine when the engine speeds up and slows down. If you remove the DPF and SCR and leave the DOC the car will be slightly louder and you will faintly hear the turbo whine. But, your wife would not notice the difference. If you remove the resonators (the muffler looking canisters under the trunk) the car exhaust will not get louder but the exhaust will become harsh sounding usually at highway speeds. The exhaust will have a resonance noise which most people describe as a droning sound and find extremely annoying.
low effort, proven method. The only low effort thing you can do is the EGR block off and/or a performance tune with all emissions left intact. This would kill carbon build up and give you more power.

Dislikes:

smoke - You will not see any significant gain in smoke unless you install a performance tune and then will only see smoke when you floor it.
smell - Remove the SCR and the smell level will increase some. Remove the DOC and most people find the smell objectionable.
loudness - Addressed above already. DON'T remove the resonators.

The best thing to do for absolute dependability, MPG, and quietness would be to do an emissions delete tune without a performance tune removing the EGR cooler, leaving the DOC intact in the DPF, removing the DPF (filter part), removing the SCR, removing the DEF system, and leaving the resonators intact or replacing the resonators with true mufflers. Note: This is not a low effort solution.
Some will say that a performance tune will not significantly reduce the overall life of the engine and/or transmission. That is why I say for "absolute dependability" above.

Last edited by Tomnavigator; 12-01-2022 at 02:09 PM.. Reason: clarification
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2022, 04:58 PM   #4
Nadir Point
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Diesel

You know, the 2011 335D WAS the quickest car in the U.S. lineup that year. Based on your criteria, stock is really the only way to go.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2022, 06:32 PM   #5
E85 Sport
who is this noob
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnxguy View Post
Downpipe with DOC.
These are the two I find on the market.
Big difference in price.
Any difference in sound and smell?
  1. ATM SpeedShop downpipe made of 304 stainless steel $495 + $275 DOC = $770
  2. TuneMyEuro BuzzKen downpipe made of 409 stainless steel $920 + $610 DOC = $1,470
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2022, 10:37 PM   #6
E85 Sport
who is this noob
Rep

Tomnavigator thank you for the informative, detailed reply!

To summarize your recommendation:

Best thing for absolute dependability, MPG, and quietness:
  • emissions delete tune without a performance tune,
  • remove the EGR cooler,
  • remove DPF (filter part),
  • remove SCR,
  • remove DEF system,
  • leave DOC intact,
  • leave resonators intact or replace resonators with true mufflers

From a "low effort" perspective, I would rather buy ready-made parts than spend time cutting/gutting factory components or having something custom fabricated.

Does anybody make a center-section that replaces SCR and connects to factory rear cans (resonators)?

Do you have any thoughts on the DOC-equipped aftermarket downpipes I posted above?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Last edited by E85 Sport; 12-06-2022 at 11:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2022, 10:52 PM   #7
E85 Sport
who is this noob
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadir Point View Post
You know, the 2011 335D WAS the quickest car in the U.S. lineup that year. Based on your criteria, stock is really the only way to go.
I don't need to be the fastest. I want to be the most reliable.

I am planning for 2023 and want to reduce the chance of costly issues from failure-prone components.

If there's an improvement in fuel economy or power, so be it. But that is secondary.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2022, 01:40 PM   #8
Spyro235
Captain
Rep
Drives: '10 X5D, '04 330i ZHP

For what you want, the factory DOC, modified to remove the other half of the factory DPF, will be the best option. Personally, I like the sound, but not the smell. So I turn my car off if I'm kneeling hitching a trailer. Otherwise, unless I'm backing up with my windows down, I never notice the smell. I'm very sensitive too it, too.
The factory DOC (half the DPF) is the absolute best DOC available. It will quell most of the turbo noise you seek to stay away from, and should cut down on any "smoke " you might see.

Otherwise, the factory muffler is not much of a muffler. Putting real mufflers on the car could help a lot.

For reliability, you need to delete the failure prone stuff. There wont really be a difference in reliability between a normal delete tune and a mild performance one, these motors are tried and true and a few pounds of boost isnt going to unearth any different problems in your vehicle.
      12-07-2022, 01:54 PM   #9
Suvorovo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Broken e90 330xi 6MT

I'm not going to lie, I love the diesel exhaust smell from my friend's modded msport 335d.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2022, 03:35 PM   #10
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by E85 Sport View Post
These are the two I find on the market.
Big difference in price.
Any difference in sound and smell?
  1. ATM SpeedShop downpipe made of 304 stainless steel $495 + $275 DOC = $770
  2. TuneMyEuro BuzzKen downpipe made of 409 stainless steel $920 + $610 DOC = $1,470
I have direct experience with both. Buzzken is on our 2013/X5D and ATM one on 2011/335D. Both have DOCs. The 304 SS material on ATM unit is superior to corrosion resistance. I bought the Buzzken unit in Dec 2017 and the ATM one in Nov 2020. I have heard that since that time that the Buzzken unit has had an upgrade to its DOC and works even better now. I can't confirm this though as I have the older DOC that is 5 yrs old.

Another poster spoke to gutting a DPF but keeping the DOC in tact. I did this same thing and can confirm that without a doubt this method has WAAAYY cleaner smell than the others I discuss above. I ultimately pulled it to get a better flow and more sound from the ATM unit. I still have the gutted DPF on my parts shelf.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2023, 03:36 PM   #11
Tomnavigator
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 335D, V-10 Touareg Diesel

I agree with BB_Cuda. 304SS is a very corrosion resistant stainless steel. 400 series stainless steel are cheap not very corrosion resistant stainless steel. 409ss is used in automotive exhaust and will probably last the life of the vehicle. 304ss is much more expensive and has much more chromium as 409ss. One way to tell the difference is that 409 series stainless steel is magnetic (a magnet will stick). 304SS is nonmagnetic.
Appreciate 0