E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Built N55: PS1, PS2 or stock turbo?

09-12-2022, 06:53 PM   #23
carguy138
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Really appreciate the responses and everyone's feedback. I've been taking the time to read every thread on this site N55/turbo/PS1/PS2 related.

Still plenty to mull over.

I've given more thought to how I'd use the car and frankly I have the most fun with it in the rain, 2nd/3rd gear, and getting the rear end loose. Other than that most of my driving is on back roads.

One thing that is really holding me back is the apparent lack of any way to "fix" oil starvation issue with this motor. It seems like the best solution I can come up with would be to remove the front diff, separate front axles (leave outer stub shafts to retain hub and utilize ABS sensor), ditch center drive shaft, install RWD oil pan and install a VAC oil pan baffle.

The other thing is that it seems like everyone's experience with custom tunes is all over the place.

I'll also be installing a new 335is/550i clutch and Luk dual mass flywheel. Am I going to have issues with the knock sensors with the PS2 and DMF if it's tuned for pump 93 (no methanol or E85)?

Also would like to add that I have an early N55 with N54 style HPFP. Not planning to mess with the low pressure fuel pump in the tank.

FYI I'm doing all of the work myself so labor costs aren't an issue.

Last edited by carguy138; 09-13-2022 at 07:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2022, 05:47 PM   #24
Jsmz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 e92

I think you could get 400hp with the PS1 without ethanol. Both PS1 & 2 have their pros and cons just gotta go with what suits your purpose. One important thing either way is to get pure turbos hd wastegate actuator, set it correctly and do silicone lines. The tuning process is a pita but well worth it. For the pnumatic wastegate n55 I would say to use either Fabian Baum with pureboost, or David shoupe. I learned the hard way that the big name tuners everyone talks about aren't necessarily the best when it comes to the pwg n55.

Last edited by Jsmz; 09-20-2022 at 08:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 03:40 AM   #25
houtan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsmz View Post
I think you could get 400hp with the PS1 without ethanol. Both PS1 & 2 have their pros and cons just gotta go with what suits your purpose. One important thing either way is to get pure turbos hd wastegate actuator, set it correctly and do silicone lines. The tuning process is a pita but well worth it. For the pnumatic wastegate n55 I would say to use either Fabian Baum with pureboost, or David shoupe. I learned the hard way that the big name tuners everyone talks about aren't necessarily the best when it comes to the pwg n55.
Do you have any 3rd gear logs you could share? That would be helpful for others to see what you mean when you say a good tune.

OP, anyone saying the PS2 spools slow just has a poorly implemented tune. Tuned correctly, the PS2 should be at full tilt (23ish psi) by 3,500 RPM.

Here is an example. Keep in mind this pull is starting in 4th, probably because traction in third is an issue. https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1954897

Last edited by houtan; 09-22-2022 at 04:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 05:02 PM   #26
Jsmz
Enlisted Member
Rep

I don't, pureboost didn't require datazap uploads and the emails were all deleted after I saved my file to a micro SD. The only logs I have left in the MHD app are 1st & 2nd gear in town messing around. But they're pretty useless, the wheels were spinning mostly the whole time.

I do know that on 4th gear log the most boost I saw was 23.7 tapering to 15.8 with timing maxing out at 17.5 degrees.

I can give you an example of multiple "bad" tunes in this thread. https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1859477

On the last page is a log dyno screenshot of my pureboost tune vs my wedge tune.

Last edited by Jsmz; 09-22-2022 at 05:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 05:54 PM   #27
houtan
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.80]
Thanks. Not really interested in seeing bad tunes. I have seen those for the last 10 or so years .

Looks like some good gains from your wedge tune. That dip in power is a little odd imo. Obviously you are able to log via MHD. Would love to see a 3rd gear pull whenever you get one.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 10:10 AM   #28
carguy138
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by houtan View Post
Thanks. Not really interested in seeing bad tunes. I have seen those for the last 10 or so years .

Looks like some good gains from your wedge tune. That dip in power is a little odd imo. Obviously you are able to log via MHD. Would love to see a 3rd gear pull whenever you get one.
Houtan- I read your PS2 install post and it was fantastic. Thank you.

I've been running FBO for a few years but one thing that I'm probably overthinking is if I ever have to return back to the stock DP. Assuming I'd need a new tune but how would the PS2 run with an OEM stock downpipe?

Right now I'm heavily leaning toward the PS2, GFB DV+, Pure's upgraded wastegate, Pure inlet, 335is/550i clutch and Pure Boost for the tune.

Also considering removing the front diff, center driveshaft, seperating half shafts, installing a RWD oil pan and VAC oil pan baffle. Just trying to decide if I want to commit to this route.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 04:58 PM   #29
Jsmz
Enlisted Member
Rep

Ha! Found a log in my drafts! This was directly after a 4th gear run with no cool down time on the final revision with pureboost. Im thinking about upping my ethanol to 35% to see if it cleans up the minor timing correction, but if it costs me power I'm ok with those little corrections. The PS1 drops off pretty hard but not as bad as stock, you will not see that on a ps2 setup.

https://datazap.me/u/mhd335in552020g...og=0&data=3-11

As you can see even on dry pavement the PS1 is capable of having traction issues well up to triple digit speed.

Last edited by Jsmz; 09-25-2022 at 08:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 03:54 PM   #30
houtan
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy138 View Post
Houtan- I read your PS2 install post and it was fantastic. Thank you.

I've been running FBO for a few years but one thing that I'm probably overthinking is if I ever have to return back to the stock DP. Assuming I'd need a new tune but how would the PS2 run with an OEM stock downpipe?

Right now I'm heavily leaning toward the PS2, GFB DV+, Pure's upgraded wastegate, Pure inlet, 335is/550i clutch and Pure Boost for the tune.

Also considering removing the front diff, center driveshaft, seperating half shafts, installing a RWD oil pan and VAC oil pan baffle. Just trying to decide if I want to commit to this route.
Thanks. Glad to hear the thread is still useful!

One of the big advantages, IMO, of a hybrid turbo like the PS2 is everything stays in the stock location. So yes, you could bolt it up to the tock cat or a DP. I had the stock cat on mine for a while it it drives completely normal. You are leaving some power on the table of course, but that's about it. I don't know if the stock cat would last long term at 20psi, but driving around wouldn't be an issue.

I have zero knowledge of the xi HW. I have heard a baffle in our cars does little to nothing to help oil starvation. The better than nothing fix is an accusump, but it is not a complete fix as apparently oil starvation can still happen on long left handers (there is a post recently where someone with an accusump still spun bearings during a track day that had a long nascar style banked turn), and the one solution that fixes the issue is retrofitting the S55 pan, oil pump, and required HW. But that most likely wouldn't fit with the FWD stuff since the oil pan is different.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 04:25 PM   #31
houtan
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsmz View Post
Ha! Found a log in my drafts! This was directly after a 4th gear run with no cool down time on the final revision with pureboost. Im thinking about upping my ethanol to 35% to see if it cleans up the minor timing correction, but if it costs me power I'm ok with those little corrections. The PS1 drops off pretty hard but not as bad as stock, you will not see that on a ps2 setup.

https://datazap.me/u/mhd335in552020g...og=0&data=3-11

As you can see even on dry pavement the PS1 is capable of having traction issues well up to triple digit speed.
Thanks. looks pretty good. I would expect to see a dip in boost since your dyno has the dip in power, but wouldnt be able to tell without seeing the log from the dyno.

never seen 17.5 of timing, but log is clean. Yeah, those timing corrections are normal. be careful upping the ethanol content, your rail pressure is dropping at spool up, and upping the ethanol would just make it dip more and at some point your car will misfire. May want to add the "pwm for vcv" logging parameter so you can see if your HPFP duty cycle is maxing out.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 06:43 PM   #32
Jsmz
Enlisted Member
Rep

If your talking about the 4600-5300 range, idk you can't feel it. Before I got rid of all my logs I looked at that log pretty hard especially in that area. The only thing I could see off were rpm spikes from traction loss, and this was a log dyno.

OP, since your not going to do ethanol I would choose the ps2 for sure. And I'm very happy with pureboost, Fabian knows his n55's.
Appreciate 1
houtan707.00
      11-29-2022, 10:32 AM   #33
carguy138
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Figured I'd post a few pictures and update this thread. Got the engine out a few weeks ago and in the process of transferring everything over to the new block.

Ended up sticking with the stock turbo. Really considered the PS2 but at the end of the day, I just don't have the free time to deal with getting it custom tuned (PWG....). With a new addition to our family, I just need to get this car up and running.

Rod bearing in cylinder 3 was torched. Below is a picture of the rod cap, bearings from cylinder 3 and cylinder 4 for comparison. Rest of the cylinders looked just like #4.

I rigged up my power bleeder to pump clean oil through the oil cooler to flush out any metal shavings. Pumped 5 quarts through and didn't see any (great news).

Trying to decide now if I should re-install the front diff/axles and center drive shaft. Pain the ass but probably should even though I've been running Xdelete since it came out several years ago.
Attached Images

Last edited by carguy138; 11-29-2022 at 10:38 AM..
Appreciate 1