E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Suspension mods: b12 or st1?

05-15-2015, 10:06 PM   #1
tkong
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i 2011 space gray

Suspension mods: b12 or st1?

I apologize now for the long read haha.

Currently, I have downpipes, jb4, charge pipe, alpine flash running e40 on my 2011 n55 e90. After I went through the rear RFT, I upgraded to PSS. As many of the reviews on the forums say the PSS are so much better than the OEM run flats. However, my only complaint is that turn in seems to be worse and overall the car seems to be less stiff especially when driving in the twisties. It was no longer fun to drive in the canyons because the car was so squishy. I did research and it seems like this is a common thing with the super sports since they are non run flats. I talked to my mechanic and he said its mostly because of how bmw tuned their suspension to be softer for the stiffer run flats, which makes complete sense.

I began researching a new suspension set up with a budget around 1k in mind and quickly came across the B12 and KW v1/St v1 coil overs. At first, I was set on the b12 kit, however I ran across reviews of “clunking” after a year or two on the car. As I dug deeper, I realized they were more on the comfort than performance side, so I began to question if there would be enough of an improvement. That’s when I began to look at the Kw v1 and st v1 suspension, which seem to lean more towards performance. Don't get me wrong I do not want to sacrifice too much comfort, maybe 60% performance 40% comfort?

Edit: so after further research( a couple threads of kw problems), I am now considering koni yellows with swift spec r sport springs as well. I'm reading great reviews on the swift spec springs lol.

I have ridden in my friends isf with the updated suspension and the turn in and stability of that car is amazing. He complains about the harshness but I thought it was just fine. Would the kw v1 be similar in harshness/stiffness to an isf? Would just a coil over system help me reach anywhere close to the isf’s stability? Even 75% of the isf suspension would be great.

My last question to you all is whether or not I will find the improvement that I am looking for in turn in and stiffness with just coil overs. I understand that in order to get the great suspension feeling that I want, I would be looking at upgrading many more parts beyond just springs and dampers such as upgraded anti-roll bars, m3 subframe bushings, front m3 bits, LSD etc etc. However, my biggest fear is that I will invest in the coil overs but still feel unsatisfied with the end product. Right now, I am only looking to do coil overs/ spend around 1k. To be quite honest, right now, I don’t need her to drive like an m3 or an isf, I just want the fun factor back when driving in the canyons.

Last edited by tkong; 05-16-2015 at 03:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2015, 03:17 AM   #2
MJ80.
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i DCT Individual

I recently ditched my runflats too and im finding myself thinking how floaty and sloppy/unresponsive the front end is when turning sharply. Even after having the castor bushes replaced...They are harsh but starting to wonder if i actually prefer the runflats... i was thinking it was just something else wearing out in the front end, perhaps its just the new rubber...
Appreciate 0