E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Just money shifted into 2nd at 75mph, engine locked up, what's my next move?

01-11-2019, 09:20 AM   #111
rick100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
It sounds like they painted a pretty picture but it ended up looking like it was painted with s£!t. I’d call the guy you communicated with and tell him that you would have never bought it if he sent the pictures he promised. If he doesn’t discount it, I’d send it back and cause him some headaches. What is the price of a wiring harness? That is the minimum I’d accept.
What would sending the engine back really do? other than causes OP headaches and shipping charges on top of the stuff he is dealing with now. The owner is not going to send his money back or send a different engine. He may even charge him storage fee or flat out refused the package which would cause op more shipping charges

Here is the deal , OP exposed himself to this type of deal
1- OP never saw the engine in person , we all know that buying used parts online ( remote location) is ALWAYS a risk
2-OP should ve never believe 100% what the seller told him on the phone , specially when the place he was getting the engine was a junkyard
third,
3 - OP should ve got something in WRITING stating condition of engine , what is included , etc ,etc .
4- OP should ve waited for the pictures to arrive before paying in full to make a decision on whether this was the right engine for him or not

I can see 1-3 being missed but I still find it OP somewhat guilty for not waiting for the pictures before hitting the purchased option .

At this point , OP can call the guy and ask for a discount ,but chances are the guy is not going to give him any money back. He may be willing to send another engine if he has one on site ( highly doubt it). He could take the guy to small claims court but it would probably be a waste of time as all op has is a phone conversation , i dont even think he recorded the conversation .

It sucks , we all make mistakes , learn from it. Hopefully the junkyard owner can rectify this or the engine is running great
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 12:57 PM   #112
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
That sucks man.

The auto "recycling" industry is literally 50% illegally run chop shops selling parts.
I had to get a headlight for my car. Found one at a junkyard in Cali, I'm in VA. The f'ing thing came wrapped like a giant football. The ignighter had visible impact damage and the silver bezel surrounding the lights was loose. I fixed the bezel with a screw through the outer case. I then test lit the light and it burned out in 40 seconds. I was out of time with it. The body shop got it working by sawpping ignighters. It still shakes a bit over bumps.

Then the fucking recycler stole my credit card number. Last time I go that route.
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2019, 01:00 PM   #113
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

I use ebay.

1) you always get pictures
2) you can always get your money back if they screw up

for example, the head that I bought in 2017, it was in mint condition for $300. A total steal. Well, they had the new guy box it up, he literally just stuck it in a cardboard box with no padding or reinforcement. From FL to WA, as you can imagine, it got pretty beat up - bent valves, studs, etc. I ended up getting my money back, they let me keep the head (I plan to rebuild it).

the 3 stage I bought for our E91, I got for $150 shipped. It was in perfect condition, no problems.. among hundreds of other transactions.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 01:10 PM   #114
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep
Drives: 2018 ///M2 6MT

eBay's great for parts but its hard to find whole engines from the years you want on there.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 01:24 PM   #115
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joester View Post
I'm trying to stay positive because how the engine looks shouldn't really effect how it runs. I just wish it looked better, ya know.
Agreed, I really wouldn't worry about what the block looks like. As long as the internals are good that is really all that matters.

I would make sure the engine can be rotated fully before installing it in the vehicle just to be safe.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 01:36 PM   #116
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep

Guys! Good news!

I popped the valve cover off and very similar to me, this thing looks like shit on the outside but has a heart of gold.

I was honestly expecting sludge everywhere lol. This gives me hope as I've been stressing super hard over the past couple of days about the appearance of this motor.

I did end up taking a half day and I borrowed my friends soda blaster. I'm going to see how that works on the oxidation. Worth a shot.

Appreciate 3
      01-11-2019, 01:41 PM   #117
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
Junkyards are the fucking scourge of the earth and I hate dealing with them. It's a nightmare every time, guaranteed.

Not to mention I'm a younger guy so I get treated like an idiot every time I'm in there.

And looks like a great time to install MILVS

That must be so nice working on the motor on a stand. Imagine... I could actually install the headers torqued to spec, with tightening the bolts in the correct order.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 01:54 PM   #118
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertman123 View Post
That must be so nice working on the motor on a stand.
I mean I guess that's one way to look at it, but trust me I'd much rather be working on the car with the engine in it.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 04:55 PM   #119
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

That valvetrain looks spotless. Better than mine when it had 57k miles!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 05:26 PM   #120
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

Yeah, that engine looks fantastic. How many miles did they say it had? Hard to believe it could look that clean inside, and so awful outside. It must have lived in snow/salt all it's life.

TBH I would just leave the outside alone. I would probably swap out any rusty bolts for ones from your old engine (aluminum bolts have to be replaced anyway). But fucking with magnesium.. sometimes not a great idea. Not only is the dust toxic, but the metal is extremely flammable. And you will never see it anyway.

Funny thing. Aluminum actually oxidizes way worse than steel when exposed to salt. Everyone thinks it doesn't "rust", but it really does (and quicker when conditions are right) - it just doesn't turn red when it does. It turns to a useless white powder
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 05:43 PM   #121
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
Yeah, that engine looks fantastic. How many miles did they say it had? Hard to believe it could look that clean inside, and so awful outside. It must have lived in snow/salt all it's life.

TBH I would just leave the outside alone. I would probably swap out any rusty bolts for ones from your old engine (aluminum bolts have to be replaced anyway). But fucking with magnesium.. sometimes not a great idea. Not only is the dust toxic, but the metal is extremely flammable. And you will never see it anyway.

Funny thing. Aluminum actually oxidizes way worse than steel when exposed to salt. Everyone thinks it doesn't "rust", but it really does (and quicker when conditions are right) - it just doesn't turn red when it does. It turns to a useless white powder
claimed 88k
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 12:53 PM   #122
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep

I took out the spark plugs and turned the new motor over for the first time today. It turns much smoother, easier, and with no weird resistance like the motor I over-revved. The weird resistance I am talking about is described on page 1.

There was definitely something wrong with that old engine (beyond the obvious valve float) and so I'm glad I got a new one.

On the schedule for today is

-install MILVs
-install new valve cover gasket, valvetronic motor gasket, eccentric shaft gasket
-remove current rusty oil pan, replace with my old oil pan in better condition with new gasket
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 01:16 PM   #123
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

Quote:
I took out the spark plugs and turned the new motor over for the first time today. It turns much smoother, easier, and with no weird resistance like the motor I over-revved. The weird resistance I am talking about is described on page 1.

There was definitely something wrong with that old engine (beyond the obvious valve float) and so I'm glad I got a new one.

On the schedule for today is

-install MILVs
-install new valve cover gasket, valvetronic motor gasket, eccentric shaft gasket
-remove current rusty oil pan, replace with my old oil pan in better condition with new gasket
Recommend you see post 27 here in regards to the valvetronic motor gasket install:

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...1536946&page=2

After 4 changes I finally have no leaks. I ovalled the holes and used some RTV as extra insurance and am finally leak free.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 01:19 PM   #124
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
Recommend you see post 27 here in regards to the valvetronic motor gasket install:

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...1536946&page=2

After 4 changes I finally have no leaks. I ovalled the holes and used some RTV as extra insurance and am finally leak free.
I changed mine on my old motor and used no special tricks and mine was perfectly leak free for a good 6-12 months until I wrecked the motor. I'll probably try the classic instasll first then if it leaks its not a hard thing to change and I'll use your trick.

Thanks for the heads up.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 02:00 PM   #125
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep

1 down, 5 to go.

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 04:16 PM   #126
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep

All the MILVs are in, but when rotating the engine I noticed a popping noise coming from the cylinder 1 exhaust valve area.

I'm hoping this is just because the lifters don't have pressure? What do you guys think. Not really much I can do about it really, I'm not going to disassemble the engine or anything. There's no oil in the pan right now.

I confirmed its the cyl 1 exhaust valve area with my mechanics stethoscope. Its definitely not MILV related. The popping noise happens right after the cyl 1 exhaust valve closes as you can see in the video. The noise is loudest when i put my stethoscope on the bolt holding down the exhaust cam above cyl 1.

I don't know if this is a new noise or not. I turned the engine over only a few times before starting the MILV installation and I can't remember if this noise happened or not. Since it seems to be coming from the exhaust valvetrain area I can only assume that this noise has always been happening, even before MILV install.

Last edited by Joebie; 01-13-2019 at 04:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 02:24 AM   #127
Twoforty
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 LCI 330i Msport

It might be worthwhile to perform a leak down test using compressed air.
Could reveal a leaky valve seat?
Just a thought.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 07:39 AM   #128
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
All the MILVs are in, but when rotating the engine I noticed a popping noise coming from the cylinder 1 exhaust valve area.

I'm hoping this is just because the lifters don't have pressure? What do you guys think. Not really much I can do about it really, I'm not going to disassemble the engine or anything. There's no oil in the pan right now.

I confirmed its the cyl 1 exhaust valve area with my mechanics stethoscope. Its definitely not MILV related. The popping noise happens right after the cyl 1 exhaust valve closes as you can see in the video. The noise is loudest when i put my stethoscope on the bolt holding down the exhaust cam above cyl 1.

I don't know if this is a new noise or not. I turned the engine over only a few times before starting the MILV installation and I can't remember if this noise happened or not. Since it seems to be coming from the exhaust valvetrain area I can only assume that this noise has always been happening, even before MILV install.

My N55 made this same type of popping when I rotated it on the engine stand. Tore down the exhaust cam again and double checked everything. Put it back together and it still popped. Seemed like it was vanos related. I saw some German video on youtube of a similar popping and the translations were all discussing oil pressure.

I took the gamble and ran the motor. It doesn't make any noise. I'm not saying this is what your noise is, but, I can relate to your frustration lol!

Last edited by bbnks2; 01-14-2019 at 07:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 08:15 AM   #129
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
My N55 made this same type of popping when I rotated it on the engine stand. Tore down the exhaust cam again and double checked everything. Put it back together and it still popped. Seemed like it was vanos related. I saw some German video on youtube of a similar popping and the translations were all discussing oil pressure.

I took the gamble and ran the motor. It doesn't make any noise. I'm not saying this is what your noise is, but, I can relate to your frustration lol!
Oh my, thats a way more concerning noise than what mine makes. That's comforting knowing that's normal.

I can't fill the engine with oil until tomorrow because I'm waiting on the oil level sensor o-ring but once I do I plan on maybe rotating the engine with a drill for a little while to see if I can build any pressure and make the ticking go away.

Very good to know that its normal for BMW engines to make popping noises on the stand like this, thanks for the video.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 08:38 AM   #130
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Oh my, thats a way more concerning noise than what mine makes. That's comforting knowing that's normal.

I can't fill the engine with oil until tomorrow because I'm waiting on the oil level sensor o-ring but once I do I plan on maybe rotating the engine with a drill for a little while to see if I can build any pressure and make the ticking go away.

Very good to know that its normal for BMW engines to make popping noises on the stand like this, thanks for the video.
Drop 1/2 qt of oil down into the oil filter housing. You should get oil pressure almost instantly from dry cranking if you do that.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 08:41 AM   #131
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
Drop 1/2 qt of oil down into the oil filter housing. You should get oil pressure almost instantly from dry cranking if you do that.
Whats the route that the oil takes?

Sump ---> oil pump ---> oil filter ---> rest of the engine?

You mean literally just pour the cavity that the filter sits in full of oil?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 10:20 AM   #132
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Whats the route that the oil takes?

Sump ---> oil pump ---> oil filter ---> rest of the engine?

You mean literally just pour the cavity that the filter sits in full of oil?
Not the inner hole the outer hole. That should be the feed hole which goes down to the oil pump since oil flows through the filter from outside to inside (trapped particulate is found in the outside pleats of the filter).

Yeah these cars only send filtered oil through the oil coolers and then the block. So, sump-->pump-->filter-->cooler-->block

N55 engine PDF has a cut-away diagram showing oiling passages. Should be similar if not the same to the N54/N52 up until the point where it enters the block. I have seen the N54 cut-away somewhere too but can't remember where.
Appreciate 0