E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > N54 "Engine Malfunction - Reduced Power" light come on and off on BMW 335is

07-07-2019, 11:12 PM   #1
Kobaiz24
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 BMW 335is

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [0.00]
Smile N54 "Engine Malfunction - Reduced Power" light come on and off on BMW 335is

Hey everyone, Im new to the BMW world as i just bought my first BMW and have never had the need to post here before. I recently bought a 2011 335is with 90k miles. While i was driving one the highway the other day I got the "Engine Malfunction - Reduced Power" half engine light come on and the car went into limp mode and had lost all boost from the turbos but still drove normally with no other issues or failures. After reading about it a little, I check to see if there was a pressure leak and couldn't really tell if anything was off. The charge pipe has already been replaced to a higher quality COBB part along with certain parts that are related to or around the charge pipe (all COBB parts). So i wonder if there is something i'm missing or something else i should check for? or if the HPFP can be going out and that is causing this issue, since that is a common issue on the N54 engines.

Any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 12:07 AM   #2
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Check codes and report back
Appreciate 1
      07-08-2019, 10:17 AM   #3
Kobaiz24
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
Check codes and report back
There is no fault code since the engine malfunction light is now coming and going randomly.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 12:42 PM   #4
Bimmer_Engineer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobaiz24 View Post
There is no fault code since the engine malfunction light is now coming and going randomly.
Did you actually plug in a scanner and check? The DME should save the codes even if the light/warning goes off...
Appreciate 1
      07-09-2019, 03:02 PM   #5
Kobaiz24
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Engineer View Post
Did you actually plug in a scanner and check? The DME should save the codes even if the light/warning goes off...

Yeah, but I got no codes. But after reading around a bit, I noticed the Wastegate rattle noise (Only during cold starts for about a minute or so). Can I tighten them a bit (I read 2.5 to 3 turns to adjust the actuator rods) and that'll get rid of the rattling noise, but I'm also not sure if that would cause a low boost, my understanding is that there might be a boost leak somewhere and i should check the Vacuum lines that run to the Wastgates and the ones that run under the engine cover near the air filter to make sure they are not cracked or broken. I dont think its the Charge Pipe or anything there that has come undone as the ones that are currently installed are upgraded from the stock (plastic) to the Cobb Tuning Charge Pipe (Aluminum/Metal) but I can double check to see if anything has come undone.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 09:04 PM   #6
RoughKnight
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi N54 Auto

Most scanners can check shadow codes or stored codes, you need a code or else its all just guessing. Even if it comes on and off intermittently, a good scanner will tell you what happened.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 09:12 PM   #7
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughKnight View Post
Most scanners can check shadow codes or stored codes, you need a code or else its all just guessing. Even if it comes on and off intermittently, a good scanner will tell you what happened.
Exactly. There are literally thousands of possible codes. Without a proper scanner, you are pissing into the wind.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 10:08 AM   #8
Kobaiz24
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Exactly. There are literally thousands of possible codes. Without a proper scanner, you are pissing into the wind.
Yeah, I'll need to find a proper scanner. Any suggestions on where i can take it to get it scanned? I dont want to take it to the dealer unless i have no other choice cause they are going to charge me $150 for a diagnostics test. I doubt but not sure if an auto part store will have a scanner that will pull the codes. I can borrow the Carly adapter from a friend maybe that will work?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 12:11 PM   #9
Bimmer_Engineer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobaiz24 View Post
Yeah, I'll need to find a proper scanner. Any suggestions on where i can take it to get it scanned? I dont want to take it to the dealer unless i have no other choice cause they are going to charge me $150 for a diagnostics test. I doubt but not sure if an auto part store will have a scanner that will pull the codes. I can borrow the Carly adapter from a friend maybe that will work?
Carly would work...or MHD if you have an android tablet and buy a cable. You can also get a foxwell 520 for about $150...
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 04:56 PM   #10
RoughKnight
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi N54 Auto

I use MHD which can do it for free I think but I also have protools from bimmerfreaks. Great program and for like 160 bucks you can self diagnose most every problem and add whatever you need to it. I would recommend ProTools if your not tuning or moding your car.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 08:42 AM   #11
Kobaiz24
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughKnight View Post
I use MHD which can do it for free I think but I also have protools from bimmerfreaks. Great program and for like 160 bucks you can self diagnose most every problem and add whatever you need to it. I would recommend ProTools if your not tuning or moding your car.
I dont have an android tablet and the car is already tuned/modified a little. But I have a friend who has one of those dealer style scanners and Im going to get it scanned sometime this weekend. And as I was still reading around about the "Engine Malfunction - Reduced Power" light, the most common thing everyone says is, its most likely a boost leak somewhere with the vacuum pipes that run to the wastegates or the charge pipe area. if not that, then the boost solenoids. I've looked around and the vacuum tubes/lines look like they're in decent shape (but I haven't checked all of them as I couldn't get to the ones near the wastegates since they are further down). Also last thing i noticed is, the light normally comes on when the oil temp is on the hot side, near the 250F but when its 200F to the 230F range the light doesn't come on as easy when I press down on the pedal, so I'm not sure if that means anything.

Thanks again for all y'alls feedback!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 11:21 AM   #12
Bimmer_Engineer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
You need to get a scanner and check the codes...there are countless reasons why you would get a engine malfunction warning.
Appreciate 0