E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > 335d Smoking issue update is this map related

07-02-2019, 04:37 PM   #1
Keithlan1978
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335d

335d Smoking issue update is this map related

As some of you may know I posted a few days ago about my 335d 2006 134,000 miles dpf gutted, egr blanked and swirl flaps removed and stage 1 map (remap done 3 years ago) I've only had car about a month and thanks for all the replies and suggestions

The issue is the car is smoking on idle from when I start it up to when it gets upto temp 88-91 I've always thought it was a over fuelling issue as it really makes your eyes sting an gets at the back of your throat, I've got a mate who's a mechanic who's always thought a over fuelling issue and also a mechanic I know in a mot station thinks the same and that it could be map related and trying to regen and over fuelling, mpg is about 26-27 which I know a lot of people say they get more

Something I've noticed today and also before today with the car which has got be baffled is that when the car is upto temp if I give a good flooring and get the temp upto 94-97 I get no smoke from it at all driving or on idle

Just before I was out an gave it a good flooring and temp was upto 94-95 then I pulled up at home and left it idling and nothing at all, switched car off and went inside for a few mins and got my diagnostics to do some live data, started car and it was between 95-97 and idling for about 10 mins and not one bit of smoke it's crystal clear

Wanted to update and hopefully get some suggestions as hopefully this may rule out some things

I've also included some videos of live data showing eghaust gas temperature before particulate filter as I don't know if it seem low, high or normal and a few other bits from live data

I know a few people have said the valve cover gasket so I don't know if this is still a possibility and when the car gets to 94-97 it's burning any oil off till it builds up again, like I said I'm convinced it's a over fuelling problem but I could be wrong

Thanks again for any help and suggestions and sorry for boring people with this again I'm just trying to get to the bottom of this issue
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 08:46 PM   #2
robnitro
Captain
Rep
Drives: x5 35d e70 2011

Burning oil smells different. Acrid smell is most likely fuel. The screen shots aren't showing the condition happening so it's not helpful.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 01:49 AM   #3
Keithlan1978
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnitro View Post
Burning oil smells different. Acrid smell is most likely fuel. The screen shots aren't showing the condition happening so it's not helpful.
I'm 99% is fuel and over fuelling plus it will smoke unless I get the car to 94 on the temp then it will completely stop so it's like the car doesn't think it's hot enough at anything upto 94
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 08:09 AM   #4
robnitro
Captain
Rep
Drives: x5 35d e70 2011

If it's smoking at idle due to fuel it's post injection. Is idle smooth?
You can't have an over fueling condition at idle otherwise, because it would Rev up instead. Only way to over fuel at idle is either post injection or if you have an airflow issue. Going by your maf of 495 mg/s that's perfect number at idle.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 08:55 AM   #5
335stoner
BRR tuned
Rep
Drives: 335D black

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnitro View Post
If it's smoking at idle due to fuel it's post injection. Is idle smooth?
You can't have an over fueling condition at idle otherwise, because it would Rev up instead. Only way to over fuel at idle is either post injection or if you have an airflow issue. Going by your maf of 495 mg/s that's perfect number at idle.
Correct! a diesel is not like a gas car where over fueling is possible. a diesel doesn't have a throttle valve like a gas car, a diesel controls air flow with fuel. more fuel = more air in return will giver you a higher idle. if you were to spray some starting fluid or wd40 in your intake your car would start to rev out of control.
      07-03-2019, 11:51 AM   #6
Keithlan1978
Private
Rep

The past 3-4 mornings it been a bit lumpy on idle for the first few seconds then this morning it was very lumpy on idle for the first 5 seconds

It's in the garage now getting a leak off test done on the injectors in the morning when it's cold as he's convinced it's an injector or injectors

Could this be my issue?
Appreciate 0