E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > INPA errors appeared a few miles ago

07-06-2019, 06:42 AM   #1
YoMuS
Rep
Drives: 335i

INPA errors appeared a few miles ago

Hello everyone,

The past two weeks i've experienced two unusual situations:

1.- The idle sound appears to be different. The regular injector sound at 600 rpm is understated by a more quick noise (an individual injector maybe?)

Regardless, the car was running OK with no warnings.

2.- Yesterday coming back home all of a sudden i lost turbo boost randomly. Again with no dashboard limp mode or anything.

Today I started the engine ann the 1.- issue was there. Connected the INPA and there are a few errors (since 1,800 miles ago), and all appear to be related to the battery status. A few times I got the battery yellow signal.

Could the first and "mainly" the second issue be battery related?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by YoMuS; 07-07-2019 at 03:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 01:13 PM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoMuS View Post
Yesterday coming back home all of a sudden i lost turbo boost randomly. Again with no dashboard limp mode or anything. Today I started the engine ann the 1.- issue was there. Connected the INPA and there are a few errors (since 1,800 miles ago), and all appear to be related to the battery status. A few times I got the battery yellow signal.
QUESTIONS:
1) What Month/Year is the build date of your 335i & what engine do you have (N54 or N55)?

2) What is your current Odometer reading (miles/km)?

3) Did you read the FIRST screen (Faults 1 through 6) of Fault History (HistorySpeicher)?

4) Are you aware that you want to read F4 | F1 Fault Memory Menu | F3 Fault Memory with Freeze Frame Data/Details?

5) Can you attach a jpg of THAT screen (F3 Fault Memory with Freeze Frame Data)?

If you can answer those questions and attach the correct screen, someone can help you.

HistoryMemory/HistorySpeicher remains even if Fault Memory (Fehlerspeicher) was Cleared, and that is probably showing OLD faults which were saved MILES/km ago. ALL those faults were saved at 68464 km, or 42542 Miles.

Note that each of the faults you show (7-10) shows:
"error status: (32) Fehler momentan nicht vorhanden" which means:
FAULT NOT CURRENTLY PRESENT.

NOTE also that each of the faults shows:
"MIL - Status: (48) Fehler verursacht kein aufleuchten der warnlampe (MIL)" which means:
FAULT DOES NOT CAUSE THE WARNING LAMP TO LIGHT (MIL)

There is a LOT more to INPA than just reading codes, but much of the technical terminology is still in German, so you need patience (which will be rewarded ;-) & Google Translate:
https://translate.google.com/#view=h...te&sl=de&tl=en

George
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 03:03 AM   #3
YoMuS
Rep

Hello gbalthrop,

Thank you for you reply. I agree I should have given more detail about the car. It's a 2007 MT 335i with 72.000 kms as of now.

Currently, INPA doesn't throw any errors, so I just wanted to know about the historical ones that i wasn't aware of (previous not uploaded are from way back, HPFP failure, etc., that I already knew).

Apparently, after more investigation, those codes are related to the AC fan campaign, which I had done along the inspection II at the dealership. The kms match, so I guess they are not an issue anymore.

Sadly, INPA and ISTA don't give me clues about the boost loss I experienced two days ago, and the unusual noise the engine is doing.

Thank you again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
QUESTIONS:
1) What Month/Year is the build date of your 335i & what engine do you have (N54 or N55)?

2) What is your current Odometer reading (miles/km)?

3) Did you read the FIRST screen (Faults 1 through 6) of Fault History (HistorySpeicher)?

4) Are you aware that you want to read F4 | F1 Fault Memory Menu | F3 Fault Memory with Freeze Frame Data/Details?

5) Can you attach a jpg of THAT screen (F3 Fault Memory with Freeze Frame Data)?

If you can answer those questions and attach the correct screen, someone can help you.

HistoryMemory/HistorySpeicher remains even if Fault Memory (Fehlerspeicher) was Cleared, and that is probably showing OLD faults which were saved MILES/km ago. ALL those faults were saved at 68464 km, or 42542 Miles.

Note that each of the faults you show (7-10) shows:
"error status: (32) Fehler momentan nicht vorhanden" which means:
FAULT NOT CURRENTLY PRESENT.

NOTE also that each of the faults shows:
"MIL - Status: (48) Fehler verursacht kein aufleuchten der warnlampe (MIL)" which means:
FAULT DOES NOT CAUSE THE WARNING LAMP TO LIGHT (MIL)

There is a LOT more to INPA than just reading codes, but much of the technical terminology is still in German, so you need patience (which will be rewarded ;-) & Google Translate:
https://translate.google.com/#view=h...te&sl=de&tl=en

George
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 09:15 AM   #4
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoMuS View Post
...Currently, INPA doesn't throw any errors...Sadly, INPA and ISTA don't give me clues about the boost loss I experienced two days ago, and the unusual noise the engine is doing.
I would suggest to run INPA, MSD80 (DME), F4/F1/F3 Fault Memory with Freeze Frame Data (Fehlerspeicher mit freeze frame Daten) one more time to make sure there are NO Fault Codes (in Fehlerspeicher) which have NOT been cleared (do NOT clear Historyspeicher or Infospeicher ;-).

If there are NO Fault Codes in Fault Memory, then INPA IS giving clues.
It is telling you that you have a mechnical fault for which the DME with its algorithms for Fault Identification is NOT able to identify a specific fault or condition (NO Fault Code saved). You say you have NO SES, Limp Mode or Warning Icon of ANY kind on the dash? Then one would NOT expect any Fault Code related to the condition to be saved.

I have never owned a turbo, and don't know anything about the mechanical setup, or boost pressure sensor setup, on your N54 Engine with MSD80 DME. Just as a general starting point, I would try to identify any mechanical component that is NOT monitored by a sensor that might fail to give the symptoms you describe and NO Code. I don't know anything about Charge Pipe, Wastegates, Turbos themselves, etc., but SOMEWHERE in the mechanical "Boost Generation & Delivery" it would appear that you have a "Leak" that is causing (1) Sound you did not have before, and (2) Loss of Boost.

BTW, when you say you have "Random Boost Loss", I assume that is simply your conclusion based upon sound and subjective "feel" or lack of acceleration, rather than any objective gauge measurement of "boost pressure"? If so, it would be helpful to indicate at what RPM & throttle position (Load) the "boost loss" occurs, and to determine if it is in fact "random", or if you can identify a pattern (only above x,xxx RPM, ONLY at WOT, etc.).

I would suggest posting to the General E90 Forum with the specifics you have posted here, and someone more knowledgeable with N54 can help. Basically, if NO Fault Codes, you have to diagnose the old-school way:
1) Start Engine, LISTEN for unusual sound;
2) Have someone else raise RPM, let engine warm, whatever it takes to cause "unusual noise" to occur;
3) Locate the source of the "unusual noise."
4) Take photos or do video of general location of noise source and post to General E90 forum.

Hope you get it sorted,
George
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 07:59 AM   #5
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

George - a loss of boost could of course have many different explanations. However, minimally a 30FF code (low boost) would be set by the DME (given a loss of sufficient magnitude and for sufficient time). There are actually two sensors reporting absolute manifold pressure (one before the throttle and one after).

As you intimate, it might be that what the OP experienced was not primarily a boost issue.

So, OP - why exactly do you describe problem #2 as loss of boost? Follow George's advice and check the DME one more time for codes.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 12:56 PM   #6
YoMuS
Rep

Thanks again for your help. I opened a link on General info subforum with more detail, if you want to check it out.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...php?p=25079053
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 12:57 PM   #7
YoMuS
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
I would suggest to run INPA, MSD80 (DME), F4/F1/F3 Fault Memory with Freeze Frame Data (Fehlerspeicher mit freeze frame Daten) one more time to make sure there are NO Fault Codes (in Fehlerspeicher) which have NOT been cleared (do NOT clear Historyspeicher or Infospeicher ;-).

If there are NO Fault Codes in Fault Memory, then INPA IS giving clues.
It is telling you that you have a mechnical fault for which the DME with its algorithms for Fault Identification is NOT able to identify a specific fault or condition (NO Fault Code saved). You say you have NO SES, Limp Mode or Warning Icon of ANY kind on the dash? Then one would NOT expect any Fault Code related to the condition to be saved.

I have never owned a turbo, and don't know anything about the mechanical setup, or boost pressure sensor setup, on your N54 Engine with MSD80 DME. Just as a general starting point, I would try to identify any mechanical component that is NOT monitored by a sensor that might fail to give the symptoms you describe and NO Code. I don't know anything about Charge Pipe, Wastegates, Turbos themselves, etc., but SOMEWHERE in the mechanical "Boost Generation & Delivery" it would appear that you have a "Leak" that is causing (1) Sound you did not have before, and (2) Loss of Boost.

BTW, when you say you have "Random Boost Loss", I assume that is simply your conclusion based upon sound and subjective "feel" or lack of acceleration, rather than any objective gauge measurement of "boost pressure"? If so, it would be helpful to indicate at what RPM & throttle position (Load) the "boost loss" occurs, and to determine if it is in fact "random", or if you can identify a pattern (only above x,xxx RPM, ONLY at WOT, etc.).

I would suggest posting to the General E90 Forum with the specifics you have posted here, and someone more knowledgeable with N54 can help. Basically, if NO Fault Codes, you have to diagnose the old-school way:
1) Start Engine, LISTEN for unusual sound;
2) Have someone else raise RPM, let engine warm, whatever it takes to cause "unusual noise" to occur;
3) Locate the source of the "unusual noise."
4) Take photos or do video of general location of noise source and post to General E90 forum.

Hope you get it sorted,
George
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaul View Post
George - a loss of boost could of course have many different explanations. However, minimally a 30FF code (low boost) would be set by the DME (given a loss of sufficient magnitude and for sufficient time). There are actually two sensors reporting absolute manifold pressure (one before the throttle and one after).

As you intimate, it might be that what the OP experienced was not primarily a boost issue.

So, OP - why exactly do you describe problem #2 as loss of boost? Follow George's advice and check the DME one more time for codes.
Thanks again for your help. I opened a link on General info subforum with more detail, if you want to check it out.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...php?p=25079053
Appreciate 0